Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, yeomanator said:

Probably due to the people you mix with... Radiohead are huge and will only ever play Pyramid. 

Except when they didn't even headline The Park ;)* 

*Just in case the winky face didn't make it obvious, this is a joke

33 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, but The Cure are better ;)

Basically confirmed then :P

Just now, guitarbhoy1888 said:

so been a bit preoccupied with work and the ticket sales thread the last 4 days or so. anyone able to provide a bit of a tl;dr for where we think we're at now?

Neil basically thinks that if the alive2017 site proves to not lead to any Daft Punk tour info on the 27th then they can probably be written off. Radiohead, Ed Sheeran and The Stone Roses are probably the most realistic three

2 minutes ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

so been a bit preoccupied with work and the ticket sales thread the last 4 days or so. anyone able to provide a bit of a tl;dr for where we think we're at now?

Radiohead+ Stone Roses looking very good. Sheeran makes sense, but there's no actual evidence that he's playing. However, Neil has had word that it's Daft Punk, but really, who knows? Third slot seems up for grabs to me.

DP and Radiohead would do me. Id definitely be all over both.

Even though I love the roses, Id probably give them a miss. Seen them at two big outdoor shows. I would hope for Kraftwerk on WH or Flaming Lips JP headliners that night.

Id prefer to finish at the Pyramid so Radiohead sunday would work for me.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm totally unable to judge, since I used to be a big Cure fan in my teens. Even though I know I'm probably biased, I still reckon The Cure have more well known tunes than Depeche Mode. The mode have a highly loyal, sizable niche following, whereas The Cure have those massive tunes from the 80s + Friday I'm in Love.

First album aside, I could probably only recognise about 3 or 4 Depeche Mode songs, but The Cure have loads more than that don't they? You're just as woefully qualified to judge as me, as you'll over inflate how well know the Depeche Mode songs are as much as I'll over inflate The Cure's. 

Just asked Mrs Two Hats and she said Depeche Mode, then changed her mind and said about the same. She's wrong, of course ;)

As you say mate I am biased. Depeche Mode are still trying to make exiting new music and challenging themselves, the Cure no longer are. You can't pigeon hole Depeche Mode. They influenced everyone from nine Inch nails, Marilyn Manson to Juan Atkins and Derrick May.

There is no one else like them and they will not get the credit they deserve till they are gone unfortunately.

Its a moot point as neither will be headlining Glastonbury as someone more like relevant like Ed sheeran or hip like The Stone Roses will. Neither Ed Sheeran nor Stone Roses are imo anywhere near as good as Depeche Mode and thats coming from a big Roses fan. Depeche Mode would put on a far better show than both imo, with Dave Gahan being light years ahead as a front man.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm totally unable to judge, since I used to be a big Cure fan in my teens. Even though I know I'm probably biased, I still reckon The Cure have more well known tunes than Depeche Mode. The mode have a highly loyal, sizable niche following, whereas The Cure have those massive tunes from the 80s + Friday I'm in Love.

To be blunt, as much as I'd love to see The Cure at Glastonbury, it's just not happening as Pyramid Headliner any more. I was at Bestival and while the performance was fantastic, it wasn't a huge crowd even within the context of a festival that had struggled to sell tickets this year (largely because of the perceived attractiveness of the headliners). Plenty of the attendees didn't even seem to know who they were.

Yes, Glastonbury has a much wider age range and more people who will remember them, but having got about 10,000 (out of 35,000) at Bestival against relatively weak competition. There's no way they could scale up to headline a stage where 70,000 people is considered a small crowd against all that Glastonbury offers.

I do think they'd be perfect for the Other Stage though.

I agree with everything Easty is saying about DM. Firstly, they would be phenomenal as Pyramid Headliner. Secondly, I think you can easily compare their 'stature', relevance, credibility and suitability to headline the Pyramid with that of Metallica.

I understand that they have passed some people by but personally I think they deserve some long overdue recognition for the outstanding band that they are. The Pyramid stage would be the perfect place to show it.

1 hour ago, Glastoboy said:

I agree with everything Easty is saying about DM. Firstly, they would be phenomenal as Pyramid Headliner. Secondly, I think you can easily compare their 'stature', relevance, credibility and suitability to headline the Pyramid with that of Metallica.

I understand that they have passed some people by but personally I think they deserve some long overdue recognition for the outstanding band that they are. The Pyramid stage would be the perfect place to show it.

Unfortunately mate I don't think they will play a major UK fest for some reason, which will end up being a tragedy.

until the unlikely event of us getting some solid info they may be playing, I am going to stop talking about the Mode. I bored everyone shitless last year with my New Order ramblings and I don't really want to be doing the same this year :wacko:

I know there are no rules for the three headliners but if there were.....

One current indie/rock band 

One current solo artist

One band not as good as they used to be

One of the above must have a female lead.

Only one can have played before in the last 5 years.

11 hours ago, Little Andy said:

For everyone who doesn't like or know Ed Sheeran, but has an open mind to trying a little more incase he headlines, here's something a little different to what you my know.

I remember listening to this (the SBTV version) over and over again in my uni days and thinking it was ace but I could never get into anything more of his.

As others have said, he would be a very deserving headliner but I wouldn't be there.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Drake touring the UK in January - doesn't rule him out, exactly, but probably decreases the chances of him appearing.

what does it do for his chances of appearing at the likes of TITP or V, if anything at all? thought he would've been a contender for either this year

3 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Have the Foo Fighters been discounted? I had forgotten about them until they were mentioned at the weekend and Grohl was adamant they would be back to the farm to fulfill the headline slot they were meant to do in 2015.

announced a hiatus at the end of last year and i believe a booker for a European festival has said they're not touring in 2017 so can probably be counted out. maybe they'll be re-booked after the fallow year but who knows?

Edited by FloorFiller

1 minute ago, Padgey said:

Have the Foo Fighters been discounted? I had forgotten about them until they were mentioned at the weekend and Grohl was adamant they would be back to the farm to fulfill the headline slot they were meant to do in 2015.

Common thinking is that even if they're off hiatus by next year's festival they'll only be making an album at that point so most likely won't be back touring until late 2017 or early 2018. It's possible they could do a 'Greatest Hits' tour without putting out an album first, which would see them right in the mix, but they definitely aren't a leading contender :(