Headliner predictions 2017

swede

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You missed out the more-important bit towards this particular topic...

Combined with the wink bit, it sounds to me like he was told off the record that she's playing.

Are you suspecting a special guest slot probably means a sub Pyramid slot?

9 minutes ago, craigb said:

14462902_1428727037142198_22684269792162

So no Daft Punk

Yeah to be fair somewhere nailed down 3 of those top 4 a few days ago, didn't have The XX in there mind but the main 3 being the 1st 3. While I don't think it says DP aren't playing at all, the person who said DP weren't taking bookings also said or hand a hand in saying/confirming that RH wouldn't be headlining this group of fests.

Vance Joy, Catfish and Rancid for me out of that lot.

Edited by thewayiam

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, craigb said:

14462902_1428727037142198_22684269792162

So no Daft Punk for Lol Ch. 

Did the Glastonbury rumour come from them also playing Lolapallooza? So maybe that can be knocked on the head again

Not necessarily. I believe the rumour of a 2017 tour was already up and running before the Lolla angle was added. It was and probably still is generally accepted that Coachella would be the first festival to announce them IF they are active.

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

You missed out the more-important bit towards this particular topic...

Combined with the wink bit, it sounds to me like he was told off the record that she's playing.

What makes you think it'll be a Pyramid 'special guest' slot though, if she was all set to do perform at the Shangri La this year?

1 minute ago, willd255 said:

The XX surely shoe in for Glasto - Other headline?

Defo a shoe in, I would imagine so given that a Pyramid sub would defeat the object of being the sub last time but needing darkness. Them returning to it wouldn't be any different to  Massive Attack playing a few years later than before. Opposite The Stone Roses on Sunday night I think probably.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

What makes you think it'll be a Pyramid 'special guest' slot though, if she was all set to do perform at the Shangri La this year?

ah, that's Scott's doing not mine. We discussed adding her, but not where she might be added.

I personally probably would have gone for unknown stage, tho Pyramid is a very reasonable assumption so I won't be asking him to move it; the only other sensible sounding option is Other Stage.

And while she might end up appearing in Shangri-la again they certainly wouldn't have the budget to book her unless she was already on site via a major booking for a major stage .

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

ah, that's Scott's doing not mine. We discussed adding her, but not where she might be added.

I personally probably would have gone for unknown stage, tho Pyramid is a very reasonable assumption so I won't be asking him to move it; the only other sensible sounding option is Other Stage.

And while she might end up appearing in Shangri-la again they certainly wouldn't have the budget to book her unless she was already on site via a major booking for a major stage .

Could just do it for the love of the game tbh, like this year woulda been.

I just couldn't really get my head around her - having already done Glastonbury - wanting to play it again in a billed non-headline slot for a reduced fee etc. when this is the year she'll probably start doing festivals again and obviously grabbing headline slots.

Edited by dentalplan

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Could just do it for the love of the game tbh, like this year woulda been.

I just couldn't really get my head around her - having already done Glastonbury - wanting to play it again in a billed non-headline slot for a reduced fee etc. when this is the year she'll probably start doing festivals again and obviously grabbing headline slots.

i reckon the time of gaga has gone, and she exists now only as a mildly interesting oddity.

In which case headlining isn't going to be her thing.

4 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Other Stage and Bestival headliners next year is my bet. 

yep be surprised if that's not where they end up. could sub Pyramid i guess but Other headliner again just makes the most sense. guess i'm gonna have to come to grips with the fact i'll almost definitely end up missing them at Glastonbury in favour of somebody else

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

i reckon the time of gaga has gone, and she exists now only as a mildly interesting oddity.

The time of her being the biggest pop star in the world is gone but that doesn't mean she couldn't still headline a festival. In fact, that's probably why she'd headline a festival rather than a bunch of nights at Twickenham or whatever. I'd suspect the reinvention thing will at least stall a decline too, as will performing at the Super Bowl.

Besides, imagine Emily being all like "we need more women headlining our festivals" and then rolling out the news that Lady Gaga, biggest thing in entertainment five years ago, is gonna support a band of dudes in their late 40's/early 50's. :P

Lady Gaga tries to portray herself an artiste and is just as likely to be doing some shamanic wailing in the middle of the night in the Greenfields as playing a straight up set on the main stages.

Anyway, judging by her choice of tour support act a few years ago she's clearly into the techno and will be doing a 8 hour set covering the history of the genre somewhere in the SE corner. Can't wait.

30 minutes ago, jackarmy said:

Other Stage and Bestival headliners next year is my bet. 

Bestival or Latitude, yep. If there wasn't a fallow I'd bet on them missing G this time to try and get on the mainstage for 2018, after the record has had its impact. I reckon they'd accept a Pyramid subslot if offered though

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if they're that in-demand, surely someone is likely to be waving big wonga at them for an exclusive...?

Bestival may give it a stab but with a new album out and no festival on in 2018 i'm sure they'd want to play Glastonbury this time round, especially with Bestival on the obvious decline

34 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The time of her being the biggest pop star in the world is gone but that doesn't mean she couldn't still headline a festival. In fact, that's probably why she'd headline a festival rather than a bunch of nights at Twickenham or whatever. I'd suspect the reinvention thing will at least stall a decline too, as will performing at the Super Bowl.

Besides, imagine Emily being all like "we need more women headlining our festivals" and then rolling out the news that Lady Gaga, biggest thing in entertainment five years ago, is gonna support a band of dudes in their late 40's/early 50's. :P

"a festival", yes.

Glastonbury, no.

55 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Hasn't she always been a mildly interesting oddity?

31 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Funny, rancid is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this lineup.

Best booking on the lineup.

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Bestival may give it a stab but with a new album out and no festival on in 2018 i'm sure they'd want to play Glastonbury this time round, especially with Bestival on the obvious decline

Indeed, that will be a lot of acts this year. Glasto 2010/11 lineups overall were class (I know 2011 was before fallow)

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I agree, but like Pearl Jam and The Cure and Kings of Leon I don't agree with those who say they'd be an Other headliner or whatever because they would no longer be approached to headline the Pyramid.

Since Metallica were down as Other stage headliners, I could see, at a massive stretch, Pearl Jam doing it. Agree on the other two though. KoL definitely won't take that step down.