Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Seems to be general consensus on a Facebook fan group that something will be announced tomorrow.

Ah okay, if so then I think there is something to what Neil has heard about Glastonbury and it'll be them nailed on. Tbh I'd expect a Scotland date, it'll sell so much better than their TITP date and a London date. Don't really expect them to add a second Wembley as the second Finsbury didn't sell instantly last time.

I have a question for Neil (or anyone else that might have good insight):

Are the Glastonbury headliners usually announced fairly late because they aren't signed up until later in the process? Or do they just choose to make the announcements on their own schedule? Basically, what impacts the decision of when to announce the headliners?

I'm just thinking - if the info about the Roses and RH is accurate, why not announce them both before the new year? Or do they usually choose to wait until well in to the new year before dropping it for whatever reason (perhaps they think the hype will dwindle if they are announced before the new year? I honestly don't know)??

Edited by jparx

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Are the Glastonbury headliners usually announced fairly late because they aren't signed up until later in the process? Or do they just choose to make the announcements on their own schedule? Basically, what impacts the decision of when to announce the headliners?

I'm just thinking - if the info about the Roses and RH is accurate, why not announce them both before the new year? Or do they usually choose to wait until well in to the new year before dropping it for whatever reason (perhaps they think the hype will dwindle if they are announced before the new year? I honestly don't know)??

If a band has there own shows promotors will like a delay to sell these before announcing festival dates 

12 minutes ago, jparx said:

If a headliner is announced before late March/early April then it's because the artist has brought the headline announcement forward. I think that's pretty much how it goes anyway.

Hmm, I may have to buy Wembley tickets and sell them should I be lucky enough to get the chance to see them on the farm. Stone Roses are one of my favourite bands but somehow I've missed out on seeing them live every time. One way or another, I'll change that next year. Preferably on the Pyramid!

8 hours ago, jparx said:

It could be anytime between late Nov and March/April essentially depending on what the other commitments are. 

The thing is Glastonbury doesn't need to announce those bands to sell out without having trouble so ticket sales are already secured.

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

If that's correct then I can't see past then being there and they would only be in a Friday or Sunday slot anyway.

is it not usually the case that if headliner acts have big shows directly around Glastonbury that they're more than likely not playing? maybe i've got that one wrong but i thought that's usually a good indicator

16 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

is it not usually the case that if headliner acts have big shows directly around Glastonbury that they're more than likely not playing? maybe i've got that one wrong but i thought that's usually a good indicator

Stevie Wonder played the night before in London.

Arcade Fire played Dublin on the Sunday of the weekend.

FATM played Belgium the night before.

Coldplay played Amsterdam for two nights with the 2nd night being the Friday of Glastonbury.

Kasabian also played France on the Friday.

There maybe more, I'm unaware, but that is 4 from the past 3 years. 

Edited by thewayiam

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Stevie Wonder played the night before in London.

Arcade Fire played Dublin on the Sunday of the weekend.

FATM played Belgium the night before.

Stevie was (i think?) booked to headline pretty late on, no doubt after that show was booked

Dublin isn't mainland UK so would be hard pressed to call that a local show

FATM weren't meant to headline

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Stevie was (i think?) booked to headline pretty late on, no doubt after that show was booked

Dublin isn't mainland UK so would be hard pressed to call that a local show

FATM weren't meant to headline

Whether they were or not they still did, and no Dublin isn't but it's hardly out of the way for them.

5 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Blur played 2 dates at Hyde Park a few days after Glasto. 

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

As did The Rolling Stones...

ah then it may be a non issue then. i don't think they're gonna be there but i guess if these show rumours come true then it certainly pushes them back up the headliner rumour list (come on Radiohead rumours!)

6 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

ah then it may be a non issue then. i don't think they're gonna be there but i guess if these show rumours come true then it certainly pushes them back up the headliner rumour list (come on Radiohead rumours!)

The only thing that clouds it is that they are up north in Scotland instead of closer to south but they might not be able to get Wembley later that weekend due to availability etc. Can you imagine if GNR booked their tour over Glastonbury weekend.

It's an indicator that they're still about and not in a different continent at the time but aside from that there's little to be gauged. They do outdoor shows most summers now but we're still waiting on that Glasto headline slot.

I can't imagine these shows selling out quickly. Fourth batch of outdoor shows with declining reviews and they're doing their biggest gig down at Wembley? Seems ambitious.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I can't imagine these shows selling out quickly. Fourth batch of outdoor shows with declining reviews and they're doing their biggest gig down at Wembley? Seems ambitious.

maybe not selling out quickly, but don't underestimate just how willing people are to fork out to belt out I Am The Resurrection on a yearly basis. also surely they'll have some new material by then, whether it be an EP or album

2 minutes ago, SilverLining said:

Anyone seen the massive daft punk rumors flying round today? The Lollapalooza page adds a slight bit of legitimacy about it.

Please shun me if this has already been discussed.

being discussed in the Daft Punk thread, but aye, it's looking good. not necessarily for Glastonbury - other than Neil's info, there's little to suggest they're doing Glastonbury, although before Neil's info, there was little to suggest that they're active at all, so take that how you want. fingers crossed

7 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

maybe not selling out quickly, but don't underestimate just how willing people are to fork out to belt out I Am The Resurrection on a yearly basis. also surely they'll have some new material by then, whether it be an EP or album

It's not exactly yearly, they didn't do anything in 14 or 15 and new material will help it sell. I wouldn't expect sales to go as quick at Wembley as Hampden mind. They are from Manchester end of the day and this year's TITP show was at an event where is clearly didn't cater taste wise to the masses and TITP before and Glasgow Green had been done.

They also don't have to announce The Roses if they play until last. If they don't think time though I don't think they will at all.