Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, jparx said:

It would take more than people sat in chairs to ruin Sunday if Radiohead end up headlining that night!

I would love a Pyramid field full of people sat in chairs for Radiohead .

sit down through the whole of the set and clap appreciately for every song , but only stand up for Creep .  

Just like being in a shitty arena ! 

11 hours ago, ivan said:

I would love a Pyramid field full of people sat in chairs for Radiohead .

sit down through the whole of the set and clap appreciately for every song , but only stand up for Creep .  

Just like being in a shitty arena ! 

The last time I saw TOOL we had seats at the Academy in Manchester. It was a revelatory experience!

41 minutes ago, jparx said:

The last time I saw TOOL we had seats at the Academy in Manchester. It was a revelatory experience!

I sat once for Tool and quite enjoyed it, first night of 2 at Hammersmith Apollo the week after Download in 2006. I only went to DL that year because of Tool and was still quite fucked on the Tuesday when Tool played so the seats were a godsend. Stood the next night at Hammersmith and 3 more times on that tour but I did enjoy the seated experience.

I am seated for Opeth at Wembley in November after standing sold out, won't quite be the same but I don't mind seats, especially at Prog type gigs. Steven Wilson is always all seats apart from when he did Shepherds Bush Empire and I had 2nd Level standing.

2 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I sat once for Tool and quite enjoyed it, first night of 2 at Hammersmith Apollo the week after Download in 2006. I only went to DL that year because of Tool and was still quite fucked on the Tuesday when Tool played so the seats were a godsend. Stood the next night at Hammersmith and 3 more times on that tour but I did enjoy the seated experience.

I am seated for Opeth at Wembley in November after standing sold out, won't quite be the same but I don't mind seats, especially at Prog type gigs. Steven Wilson is always all seats apart from when he did Shepherds Bush Empire and I had 2nd Level standing.

Haha I would consider seats a must for Opeth.

I've seen Porcupine Tree loads of times, all standing, and I always wish I had seats!

Download '06...what a vintage year. The Friday lineup is still one of the best single day lineups I've ever seen.

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Haha I would consider seats a must for Opeth.

I've seen Porcupine Tree loads of times, all standing, and I always wish I had seats!

Download '06...what a vintage year. The Friday lineup is still one of the best single day lineups I've ever seen.

Oh yeah. That was the last GOOD Download year. I remember Deftones before Tool, that was epic.

The set Opeth are likely to play nowadays is suited for seats but I would prefer to stand if they did a heavier section, can't envisage seats whilst 'Leper Affinity' or 'Deliverance' is pounding my eardrums lol

Never sat for PT, always stood. I saw them about 8/10 times I'd think. SW requests all seats when he plays, he says its better for the entire experience as there are a lot of visuals and people would be more comfortable. It's basically a cinema with a live band when he plays.

12 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

Oh yeah. That was the last GOOD Download year. I remember Deftones before Tool, that was epic.

Saw Deftones at DL this year, never really listened to their stuff before, another one of those bands that passed me by as a youth.

Fuck me were they good.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Saw Deftones at DL this year, never really listened to their stuff before, another one of those bands that passed me by as a youth.

Fuck me were they good.

I'm surprised Deftones aren't more popular in the efests bubble to be honest. They would go down a storm at Glastonbury if they headlined the JPT. More people need to give them a chance.

On a totally unrelated note, I just watched the episode where (SPOILERS!) Odo realises the Changlings are the Founders :o ;):P

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

I'm surprised Deftones aren't more popular in the efests bubble to be honest. They would go down a storm at Glastonbury if they headlined the JPT. More people need to give them a chance.

they're pretty popular around these parts, at least with those who are in to music on the heavier side of things. would be a great booking but i don't see it ever happening, although now would be the best time to get them as they're at the highest peak they've had commercially for some time and seem to be finally getting the critical recognition they deserve after a few bumps in the road over the years

57 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

they're pretty popular around these parts, at least with those who are in to music on the heavier side of things. would be a great booking but i don't see it ever happening, although now would be the best time to get them as they're at the highest peak they've had commercially for some time and seem to be finally getting the critical recognition they deserve after a few bumps in the road over the years

I just think a lot of people are instantly turned off by distorted guitars and angry vocals, which is a shame because they really are missing out on a lot of great music! Nowadays the diehard music fan is in to all sorts of different genres, but heavier music still gets the shaft!

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Fuck me were they good.

Deftones are always great live. Seen them a few times. They tend to play all the hits for the casuals like at festivals, but they have by far enough material for a 2 hour epic headline set for their fans on tour. I last saw them about 5 years ago I think it was, wanted to go to Wembley but standing was sold out. They still haven't properly toured over here for the new record which is EPIC though, such a shame.

Just now, mungo57 said:

Deftones are always great live. Seen them a few times. They tend to play all the hits for the casuals like at festivals, but they have by far enough material for a 2 hour epic headline set for their fans on tour. I last saw them about 5 years ago I think it was, wanted to go to Wembley but standing was sold out. They still haven't properly toured over here for the new record which is EPIC though, such a shame.

They played quite a few of the new album tracks at Download.  I was hooked.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

They played quite a few of the new album tracks at Download.  I was hooked.

their new album is great.

I get the impression 'doomed user' and 'prayers/triangles' would be great live.

That record almost split the band up by rights. The guitar player wanted to make it heavier and was at total odds with the rest of the band as to direction, I remember reading an interview in which he said he was close to leaving. Glad he didn't and the record ended up getting made!

6 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

their new album is great.

I get the impression 'doomed user' and 'prayers/triangles' would be great live.

That record almost split the band up by rights. The guitar player wanted to make it heavier and was at total odds with the rest of the band as to direction, I remember reading an interview in which he said he was close to leaving. Glad he didn't and the record ended up getting made!

Checked the setlist and beer had addled my memory - they only played a couple of new tracks :lol:

But yes, prayers/triangles sounded good!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Checked the setlist and beer had addled my memory - they only played a couple of new tracks :lol:

But yes, prayers/triangles sounded good!

lol I know where you are coming from there :P

they didn't do Doomed User? Thats a bit strange. I'm sure it was still good!

edit: thats one solid setlist right there.
If Eavis is listening - let them headline the Other Stage!

Edited by mungo57