Headliner predictions 2017

swede

On 16 September 2016 at 2:12 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

I really want to see another Pyramid headliner. None in the last 2 festivals. Regardless of how much I enjoy the rest of it, there is something great about seeing one

There really is no better place is there? Daft Punk and/or Radiohead for me would be unreal personally, as it would for many. Doesn't get much better IMO. 

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Zac Quinn said:

Are the Foos definitely going to still be on hiatus next year? It'll be three years since Sonic Highways since then, and there were only three years between that and Wasting Light. And I can't help feel that Dave won't want to waste too much time getting back out on the road after their last tour was somewhat ruined.

The fact that they announced a hiatus suggests that they're not rushing to get back and are taking a longer break than last time, where they started working on the next record straight away. I would imagine that they will regroup next year but they'll ready an album first.

51 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Never? wow. Although saying that I think I have only seen 3 from start to finish which is quite surprising. 

To be fair I've only been to 3 but nope not seen any yet. Nothing has been enticing enough to stand in that field. I did see about 10 mins of the who on my way to grandmaster flash. They were shite from the little I saw. 

40 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

To be fair I've only been to 3 but nope not seen any yet. Nothing has been enticing enough to stand in that field. I did see about 10 mins of the who on my way to grandmaster flash. They were shite from the little I saw. 

Yes. Toilet break central. Didn't even play Substitute :(

Edited by Zac Quinn

9 hours ago, incident said:

When you get to that kind of level, gearing the band up to play, even for a one off show is a huge undertaking. They'll need to put together a crew of drum/guitar/sound/lighting/etc techs, and as they're on hiatus there's a fair chance that many of their preferred choices will be committed to other bands. Add in the rehearsals that would be needed and they'd probably need to become active, and paying their techs, for about 2 months just to do the one show. A one off show just wouldn't make any logistical or financial sense.

Yes, they could theoretically do it hit and run style - turn up (relatively) unrehearsed, fewer techs, etc and go out on stage and put in a passable performance.. But that seems really unlikely, surely they'd wait a couple years and do it when they were able to do it properly and take advantage of the opportunity.

To add to this there's a good chance that members of the Foos could be off touring with other bands.

Also id prefer Justin Timberlake over Tay tay any day of the week. Can't stand her music.

Has any act headlined Glasto as a one off and not played as part of a touring cycle ? 

Accountants for Foo's would advise against Dave doing a Glasto one off.

A few years back Q Prime were threatening to pull Metallica from touring Europe as the dollar / euro exchange rate could make it financially non viable .

8 minutes ago, ivan said:

Has any act headlined Glasto as a one off and not played as part of a touring cycle ? 

A few years back Q Prime were threatening to pull Metallica from touring Europe as the dollar / euro exchange rate could make it financially non viable .

Not that I can recall. I suppose Kanye didn't have any other European shows but I gather you mean no tour dates whatsoever.

But yeah, even aside from the financial viability of it all; they either play festivals that were canned the next year or the ship sails and they just make it a priority on the next tour. In-between just doesn't make sense.

41 minutes ago, ivan said:

I don't think Dave needs an accountants opinion as to whether a one of Glasto set would be advisable, he certainly isn't going to make that decision to come over for it either but IF he wanted to, he earns enough money that any loss would not affect him.

Foo's are way more likely more likely for 2019. 

2 hours ago, ivan said:

Oasis in 2004 is only one I can think off

9 hours ago, Zac Quinn said:

Also a stage show that blows Taylor's out of the water. Although the Pyramid would probably only get a watered down version :(

JT would knock it out of the park. I was lucky to see him twice on the 20/20 tour (Sheffield arena and at V Fest) and he was absolutely fantastic plus his band, The Tennessee Kids, are something else! So yes, JT to headline please! However if he does headline and I don't have a ticket it will make not being there even harder. :( 

Sat 24th, Pyramid Stage(SR) Ed Sheeran
day TBC, Pyramid Stage(R) Foo Fighters
day TBC, Pyramid Stage(SR) Radiohead
day TBC, Pyramid Stage(R) The Stone Roses

So the current state of the rumours page is that Ed and Radiohead are stronger rumours than the other three. Is this still the current thinking? From recent word, Daft Punk is sounding a little stronger than this implies, no?

1 minute ago, Little Andy said:
Sat 24th, Pyramid Stage(SR) Ed Sheeran
day TBC, Pyramid Stage(R) Foo Fighters
day TBC, Pyramid Stage(SR) Radiohead
day TBC, Pyramid Stage(R) The Stone Roses

So the current state of the rumours page is that Ed and Radiohead are stronger rumours than the other three. Is this still the current thinking? From recent word, Daft Punk is sounding a little stronger than this implies, no?

i don't think Neil updates it meticulously. he seems quite confident in his Daft Punk info, but i guess until they show any signs of being active as a live act in 2017 it'd be silly to put em any further than a R. there have been a couple of things pointing to it being Radiohead and likewise with Sheeran. i think those will be our headliners, although Neil currently seems to put more belief in the Roses being there than Sheeran based on info he received (the same info that put Radiohead there)

Ed Sheeran has literally come out and said "the next festival I do will be headlining Glastonbury", the only way he isn't headlining in 2017 is if he isn't back by 2017, and he's pledged that he will be. 

5 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Oh, is yer man still ripping tops open and such?

Ayyyyy he did the world a favour by ruining Janet Jackson's career.

Edited by Zac Quinn

23 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Ed Sheeran has literally come out and said "the next festival I do will be headlining Glastonbury", the only way he isn't headlining in 2017 is if he isn't back by 2017, and he's pledged that he will be. 

aye i agree. he wants to do it and it'd be an easy and undoubtedly very popular booking for the festival. can't see a single reason for it not happening apart from, as you say, the album not being out/him not touring by then, but i just don't see that happening. as good as nailed on. now to just get some good rumours about who'll be on at the same time as him on Other/elsewhere

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

i don't think Neil updates it meticulously. he seems quite confident in his Daft Punk info, but i guess until they show any signs of being active as a live act in 2017 it'd be silly to put em any further than a R. there have been a couple of things pointing to it being Radiohead and likewise with Sheeran. i think those will be our headliners, although Neil currently seems to put more belief in the Roses being there than Sheeran based on info he received (the same info that put Radiohead there)

I personally think if not for Neil's info that DP wouldn't be close to being one of our 1st 3 options.

As Thom has said Radiohead will be active next year then I think it's next year or never for Radiohead. I have no doubt Elvis has offered it them it's just whether it not they accept and want it.

I 100% think SR is on, they don't need to be making sounds yet and when they do its all very sudden. It was November before they announce their shows for this year. And I can see Glastonbury announcing them 1st before any of their own shows in the south probably as people missing out will jump on it.

Sheeran comes down to whether he is ready or not but I can see him pushing it knowing that if he doesn't play this year, he won't in 19 and there is a chance that by album 4 he might not be as strong as he was. 

It's what 3 out of them and I'm not suggesting it but the only one that could be below headliner would be DP but they would have to headline Other stage. But on this basis, give Radiohead, Ed and Roses in that order with DP opposite Radiohead. Maybe the stage for DP is wrong.