Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jakkkkobz said:

Okay I have given in to going again this year, lets get speculating. Has anybody started ridiculous unsubstantiated rumor that Guns n roses are playing yet?

Also, I heard from my mate(a real person) who works for a touring company in Dublin that Sheeran is headlining this year. 

Neil could come with info of GnR potentially playing and i wouldn't believe him - the money just isn't there

and yeah Sheeran seems like an almost certainty at this point

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Neil could come with info of GnR potentially playing and i wouldn't believe him - the money just isn't there

and yeah Sheeran seems like an almost certainty at this point

I know :(

I have been out of the efestivals loop for a while, is Diane Ross looking solid for Sunday Legend? Anyword on the Robert Plant/ZZ Top rock slot? Van the Man is in with a good shout

2 minutes ago, Jakkkkobz said:

I have been out of the efestivals loop for a while, is Diane Ross looking solid for Sunday Legend? Anyword on the Robert Plant/ZZ Top rock slot? Van the Man is in with a good shout

Diana Ross still the current thinking for the legend slot yeah. christ knows about the 'rock slot' if that's even a thing (i'd like to think it is but those third down Pyramid bookings could be purely coinsidence). i was thinking Iggy Pop but it could be anybody, or, nobody

36 minutes ago, Jakkkkobz said:

To be honest I would be surprised if Motorhead and ZZ weren't just convenient to be able to get at the time bookings, and while you had Robert Plant one year 3rd down, you had Madness 4th down the older style slot this year so I thinks it's more an older act slot than a rock slot.

I loved Guns N Roses back in the day, and still rate Appetite as one of the greatest albums of all time.  But I really couldn't give a flying hoot if they play or not.  What I've heard of Axel's voice doesn't sound great any more, and it still doesn't feel like a GnR set without Izzy and preferably Adler.

Plus time is precious at Glastonbury.  Can't be doing with wondering what time he'll rock up on stage!

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

I loved Guns N Roses back in the day, and still rate Appetite as one of the greatest albums of all time.  But I really couldn't give a flying hoot if they play or not.  What I've heard of Axel's voice doesn't sound great any more, and it still doesn't feel like a GnR set without Izzy and preferably Adler.

Plus time is precious at Glastonbury.  Can't be doing with wondering what time he'll rock up on stage!

i think he's been turning up to most of if not all of the recent gigs on time (only took him 25 years), but yeah, they're not gonna play and i don't particularly care. the excitement of their 'reunion' wore off very quickly. pretty much as soon as their Coachella set finished and everybody thought 'well that was... alright'

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

i think he's been turning up to most of if not all of the recent gigs on time (only took him 25 years), but yeah, they're not gonna play and i don't particularly care. the excitement of their 'reunion' wore off very quickly. pretty much as soon as their Coachella set finished and everybody thought 'well that was... alright'

I personally would like to see Slash, and it's the only way I'd be interested in doing so as his own stuff doesn't bother me.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Given his recent round of promotional interviews he's gonna be lucky to see the year out, never mind perform any sort of enjoyable gig.

Yeah he sounds rough AF. I imagine he's the kind of dude that can shake it off and just go and perform though. Maybe not to a great standard, but perform none the less :P

First gig I evet went to back in 78 I think meatloaf at the nec .

Remember coming home from pub and watching him on ogwt and thought it was great .

Everyone at work was on about it  thw Monday after.

Managed to get tickets  via the concert travel club .

Whatevery happened to them ?

Ticket .coach .sorted no need for overnight stays etc

Edited by cidy

On 14/09/2016 at 8:29 AM, cidy said:

U2 won't play the festival again I reckon.

One of those bands that will play it once and that's it i'd put my house on never seeing macartney the stones Neil Young Springsteen  for eg ever playing again .

Seen u2 a few times over the years always do a good show but the glasto set just seemed flat to me .

You're probably right, but until recently The Who would have been one of the etc. bands. If they can play twice in 10 years, then anyone can.

If I was forced to choose, I wouldn't say those acts would play again, but I'm not going to go betting any houses.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You're probably right, but until recently The Who would have been one of the etc. bands. If they can play twice in 10 years, then anyone can.

If I was forced to choose, I wouldn't say those acts would play again, but I'm not going to go betting any houses.

I think in The Who's case though they are probably a bit more bothered by it. Not that they aren't big would interest has probably dwindled over the years a bit, it's fair to say U2 will outsell The Who nowadays with an issue. U2 are also far more expensive to see.

I'm sure this has already been discussed but remind me, why wont the Foo Fighters headline next year again?  I understand that they are on a hiatus but surely they could get together for a one-time show like this?  I personally cant see (m)any who could put on a better headline show tbh, tick all the boxes surely?

33 minutes ago, zico martin said:

I'm sure this has already been discussed but remind me, why wont the Foo Fighters headline next year again?  I understand that they are on a hiatus but surely they could get together for a one-time show like this?  I personally cant see (m)any who could put on a better headline show tbh, tick all the boxes surely?

When you get to that kind of level, gearing the band up to play, even for a one off show is a huge undertaking. They'll need to put together a crew of drum/guitar/sound/lighting/etc techs, and as they're on hiatus there's a fair chance that many of their preferred choices will be committed to other bands. Add in the rehearsals that would be needed and they'd probably need to become active, and paying their techs, for about 2 months just to do the one show. A one off show just wouldn't make any logistical or financial sense.

Yes, they could theoretically do it hit and run style - turn up (relatively) unrehearsed, fewer techs, etc and go out on stage and put in a passable performance.. But that seems really unlikely, surely they'd wait a couple years and do it when they were able to do it properly and take advantage of the opportunity.

58 minutes ago, incident said:

When you get to that kind of level, gearing the band up to play, even for a one off show is a huge undertaking. They'll need to put together a crew of drum/guitar/sound/lighting/etc techs, and as they're on hiatus there's a fair chance that many of their preferred choices will be committed to other bands. Add in the rehearsals that would be needed and they'd probably need to become active, and paying their techs, for about 2 months just to do the one show. A one off show just wouldn't make any logistical or financial sense.

Yes, they could theoretically do it hit and run style - turn up (relatively) unrehearsed, fewer techs, etc and go out on stage and put in a passable performance.. But that seems really unlikely, surely they'd wait a couple years and do it when they were able to do it properly and take advantage of the opportunity.

Are the Foos definitely going to still be on hiatus next year? It'll be three years since Sonic Highways since then, and there were only three years between that and Wasting Light. And I can't help feel that Dave won't want to waste too much time getting back out on the road after their last tour was somewhat ruined.

Edited by Zac Quinn