Headliner predictions 2017

swede

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U2 won't play the festival again I reckon.

One of those bands that will play it once and that's it i'd put my house on never seeing macartney the stones Neil Young Springsteen  for eg ever playing again .

Seen u2 a few times over the years always do a good show but the glasto set just seemed flat to me .

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

Want - daft punk, ed sheeran, radiohead

Will get - kings of Leon, u2, lady gaga

Ignoring the first two, what about Gaga as a headliner?  To be fair her first 2 albums were pretty damn good pop records, but not sure about since then.

I'm quite liking the idea of DP to open and Radiohead to close, then something on another stage on the Saturday so I don't have to worry about a clash :)

Fair point, haven't listened to the new single yet.  Shame really, I think that if she'd followed up Born This Way with something of similar quality then it could have happened.  There are enough bangers on those first two that a decent 3rd album would have filled out to headline status.

Will have to see what the new one's like, but even if it's a cracker the timing's probably out to book her as a headliner for 2017.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I tend to agree that they're a one time deal, but the extenuating circumstances that could potentially trigger a return would be that they know that they made a bit of a hash of it and Bono's ego makes him want to "get it right".

I feel they're also the most likely returning headliner after Radiohead and if Michael's 'four returning headliners' continues into this year then I see no reason as of yet (obviously) why they'd not go from pencilled in to inked. Bono's lemon party 2017 y'all.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

A risk though. If it doesn't click again, they won't have the excuse of "we'd have been ace with better weather" that they have now.

Their live shows seem to garner all round positive reviews though - I can't recall ever hearing about an embarassingly bad tour or show outside of their Glastonbury set. If given the chance (and the weather held up) I think they'd do a good job of it (and hopefully learn from the few setlist mistakes they made the first time round). I don't think they'll be there next year, but somewhere along the way why not?

Really think the weather didn't help if they had played the previous year as originally planned would have been totally different. 

When the edge joined muse for streets have no name the place lifted a real feel good vibe I thought .

The more I think about U2 the more it makes sense. Didn't Eavis say that 2017s headliners were booked before the 2016 festival? U2 always on planned on releasing these 2 albums in relatively quick succession and doing 2 tours (2016/17) so Glasto would have been able been able to pencil them in for 2017 headliners all the way back in 2015 if they wanted to.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Their live shows seem to garner all round positive reviews though - I can't recall ever hearing about an embarassingly bad tour or show outside of their Glastonbury set. If given the chance (and the weather held up) I think they'd do a good job of it (and hopefully learn from the few setlist mistakes they made the first time round). I don't think they'll be there next year, but somewhere along the way why not?

Their live shows get good reviews from the people who go to see them, which is usually U2 fans.  The issue at Glastonbury, rain aside, is that it wasn't their show.  It was a mish mash of an unknown stage and their own production, with a crowd that was less partisan than they would usually perform before.  And the wrong shoes, apparently, so Bonio couldn't run about like we know all proper rock stars should.

Personally I don't care if they play again or not, though i did hear Numb the other day and quite enjoyed it.

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Their live shows get good reviews from the people who go to see them, which is usually U2 fans.  The issue at Glastonbury, rain aside, is that it wasn't their show.  It was a mish mash of an unknown stage and their own production, with a crowd that was less partisan than they would usually perform before.  And the wrong shoes, apparently, so Bonio couldn't run about like we know all proper rock stars should.

Personally I don't care if they play again or not, though i did hear Numb the other day and quite enjoyed it.

It's not like they're a niche act though - everybody knows those songs - and I doubt even their fans would be so dedicated as to give them constant praise if they were playing car crash or even mediocre shows. I think the rain was a huge factor in its failing but they definitely made a few poor decisions along the way with the setlist etc. Given the chance again (and with better weather - not hard) I think they'd be pretty great

16 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

The live shows get good reviews from fans and critics alike. I wouldn't exactly be a huge fan, I like the Joshua Tree. But I saw them in Dublin on their last tour and they were fucking great, news songs included. Bono still sounds great live and the visuals are amazing. They put a lot of thought and effort (and money) into their gigs and it shows.

3 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The live shows get good reviews from fans and critics alike. I wouldn't exactly be a huge fan, I like the Joshua Tree. But I saw them in Dublin on their last tour and they were fucking great, news songs included. Bono still sounds great live and the visuals are amazing. They put a lot of thought and effort (and money) into their gigs and it shows.

oh i don't doubt their shows are fantastic, my point was more about the amount of control they have over them.  at their own shows, and particularly where weather can be guaranteed, ie hot places or indoor venues, they have it all under control.  there were many more variables at glastonbury, which was, i think, their first 'away gig' in about 25 years.  

Coldplay have the knack of it, it seems, but i read somewhere that even Mick Jagger was concerned before the Stones played cos festivals just aren't what they're used to.

Yeah you are right, U2 mostly play huge indoor arenas and stadiums and they've probably become quiet reliant on having a large amount of control over the environment they're playing in. The Pyramid is literally just a big stage in a big field. If they stick to a greatest hits set and just have some basic visuals on the back screen and let the music do the talking how bad can it be? It's not as if they can't play or Bono can't sing.

2 hours ago, Madyaker said:

Yeah you are right, U2 mostly play huge indoor arenas and stadiums and they've probably become quiet reliant on having a large amount of control over the environment they're playing in. The Pyramid is literally just a big stage in a big field. If they stick to a greatest hits set and just have some basic visuals on the back screen and let the music do the talking how bad can it be? It's not as if they can't play or Bono can't sing.

It was so different for them the space from he stage to crowd.

5 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

A risk though. If it doesn't click again, they won't have the excuse of "we'd have been ace with better weather" that they have now.

Unless it shits it down next year :P

I still can't look past Punk, Head, Sheeran or Roses. I just don't see a strong enough argument for anyone else. The only act I can see breaking in to that group are Foos if they end up being active next year.