Headliner predictions 2017

swede

9 hours ago, arcade fireman said:

Radiohead won't play. Nothing planned for next year as yet as per Jonny and (allegedly) Clive, doubt they'd book Glasto without planning some kind of tour around it, and I reckon Eavis already has next years' headliners sorted. 

Even if they do plan a tour it'll be too late for Glasto to book them. 

I don't think they have next year's headliners sorted out at all - maybe two or three across the stages, but certainly not all three main headliners. I know ME said he did (this time last year, actually!) but the jury is out on whether he's playing the press game, confused, or outright lying. Either way, he's more consistently wrong than right.

Emily said quite recently that she'd like Radiohead to play next year, so I'd imagine they'll at least be asked, and I don't see why they wouldn't play just because they're not also doing umpteen other gigs.

• Replies 8.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

I don't think they have next year's headliners sorted out at all - maybe two or three across the stages, but certainly not all three main headliners. I know ME said he did (this time last year, actually!) but the jury is out on whether he's playing the press game, confused, or outright lying. Either way, he's more consistently wrong than right.

Emily said quite recently that she'd like Radiohead to play next year, so I'd imagine they'll at least be asked, and I don't see why they wouldn't play just because they're not also doing umpteen other gigs.

Same reason they haven't played the Pyramid in 13 years. Not that I know that reason, but there has to be a reason. It seems likely the issue is on Radiohead's side rather than Glastonbury's. 

And unless they're in the middle of some sort of tour I can't see them playing Glasto as a stand alone gig. It isn't the sort of show they'd want to play if they were rusty. 

2 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Radiohead keep plans very close to there chest. It's pretty much expected that the band will do more dates but it will be about as secretive as the current tour. 

Wouldn't be shocked to see them at cochella next year.

Not that secret, Jonny in an interview late last year said they hoped to tour this year. And they did.

Jonny in an interview this year said they don't have plans for next year, so we can probably take that at face value. He could've easily given the same sort of answer.

Thats not to say they won't tour - they may well, but I don't know if they'll be down for the really big festivals who will want to know their headliners ASAP. 

5 minutes ago, arcade fireman said:

Not that secret, Jonny in an interview late last year said they hoped to tour this year. And they did.

Jonny in an interview this year said they don't have plans for next year, so we can probably take that at face value. He could've easily given the same sort of answer.

Thats not to say they won't tour - they may well, but I don't know if they'll be down for the really big festivals who will want to know their headliners ASAP. 

Just saying there don't have plans next year isn't really saying much. 

Neil thinks there have agreed to play glastonbury so maybe there were still working out what the band were doing in 2017.

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Are there any noises about Depeche Mode or is my hope in vain?

@wilem has heard from some sauces that Radiohead, Roses and Foos are the acts being lined up. The absence of Sheeran from that is surprising. Also would Depeche Mode be considered pyramid headliners in 2017? Bar the obvious hits im not particulary into DM or aware of their current size/pulling power etc.

16 minutes ago, T-Mouse said:

@wilem has heard from some sauces that Radiohead, Roses and Foos are the acts being lined up. The absence of Sheeran from that is surprising. Also would Depeche Mode be considered pyramid headliners in 2017? Bar the obvious hits im not particulary into DM or aware of their current size/pulling power etc.

A source saying Foos and no Sheeran goes straight in the bin tbh.

It is believed that Depeche Mode were lined up to headline the 2014 festival and I think the agreement was in place before the 2013 festival (when Neil heard about them) so they were very high on the list, but obviously they cancelled all remaining festivals so it didn't happen. It's entirely possible that the bookers have changed their approach in the years since and also that Depeche Mode won't be ready to tour by next year but I'm sure we'll hear something soon if they are.

It beats me why they'd be a desirable headliner, considering they've been around years without doing it and are now well out of the spoltight in this country with more of a cult following now but if a Glastonbury headline slot can change that and cement them as something of a classic band then that'd be pretty cool. Though Pearl Jam are in the same boat and I'd rather it were them. :P

8 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

There's more chance of a beatles reunion

The talk is a tour just prior to festival season and then the festival circuit, which seems to be the norm for them. They surely can't miss out all UK festivals again.

8 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

Your guess is as good as mine. I have always been the only Depeche Mode fan in the village.

8 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

I don't think DM would be on the Pyramid, more likely to be Other headliner for me.  Would be particularly happy if that were the case.  So long as they don't clash with Radiohead, obviously.

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Your guess is as good as mine. I have always been the only Depeche Mode fan in the village.

I've got your back Easty ;) 

7 minutes ago, Quark said:

I don't think DM would be on the Pyramid, more likely to be Other headliner for me.  Would be particularly happy if that were the case.  So long as they don't clash with Radiohead, obviously.

I've got your back Easty ;) 

I think they are headline or bust mate. They will probably end up at Isle Of Wight if they do a UK fest. I really can not see them playing on the other stage while The Roses or someone of that ilk headline. Nor should they do imo.

Frankly I am just happy that they are back in the studio and still producing new music. Been a lifelong ambition to see them in Germany, so hopefully I will get the opportunity next year.

I will probably end up stuck round the glade again next year if I am fortunate enough to get a ticket. Have been twice now and nearest I have been to watching a Pyramid headliner was 10 minutes of Kanye.

Edited by eastynh

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I think they are headline or bust mate. They will probably end up at Isle Of Wight if they do a UK fest. I really can not see them playing on the other stage while The Roses or someone of that ilk headline. Nor should they do imo.

Hum.  I think in terms of reach and popularity they're Other; much like New Order they're still producing new music but they're not a big band to the, um, younger audience!  But they have a massive back catalogue, a solid core of fans, and they're musically important enough to close out.  Plus the Other headliners are very much in the electronica camp recently.

What I don't know enough about is what their attitude would be to playing the second stage...

7 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I will probably end up stuck round the glade again next year if I am fortunate enough to get a ticket. Have been twice now and nearest I have been to watching a Pyramid headliner was 10 minutes of Kanye.

Much worse places to spend time.  Love that stage.

Edited by Quark

Just now, Quark said:

Hum.  I think in terms of reach and popularity they're Other; much like New Order they're still producing new music but they're not a big band to the, um, younger audience!  But they have a massive back catalogue, quite a solid core of fans, and they're musically important enough to close out.  Plus the Other headliners are very much in the electronica camp recently.

What I don't know enough about is what their attitude would be to playing the second stage...

Much worse places to spend time.  Love that stage.

The problem is world wide they are still huge mate. In places where New Order play academies, Depeche Mode play football stadiums. They generally headline any festival they play across the globe. I honestly can't see them playing the other stage.

They have had over 40 top 40 hits and 16 top 10 albums in this country. They are arguable the biggest electronic band ever and probably the biggest selling. They seem to be in this strange place where they are not big enough to headline in the UK, but too big not to headline.

I hope I am wrong but I really could not see them playing the other stage. You look at the 3 other stage headliners last year. Depeche Mode are far bigger than all of them put together and then some.

They are a strange band, thats for certain.

22 minutes ago, eastynh said:

The problem is world wide they are still huge mate. In places where New Order play academies, Depeche Mode play football stadiums. They generally headline any festival they play across the globe. I honestly can't see them playing the other stage.

They have had over 40 top 40 hits and 16 top 10 albums in this country. They are arguable the biggest electronic band ever and probably the biggest selling. They seem to be in this strange place where they are not big enough to headline in the UK, but too big not to headline.

I hope I am wrong but I really could not see them playing the other stage. You look at the 3 other stage headliners last year. Depeche Mode are far bigger than all of them put together and then some.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  I just couldn't imagine them headlining the Pyramid, since they don't seen to have that much mainstream appeal in this country these days, but you're right, by any measure you care to use, they're far bigger than your usual Other Stage headliner - to the point of making that not a goer.

I'd like to see them on Other, but I think ultimately they're Pyramid or nothing, with the likely result of nothing.

5 minutes ago, Acid_Haze said:

What do people think about the cure headlining? They're the sort of band to come out of the blue like The Who in 2015

Probably in the same position as Depeche Mode really. Too big not to headline but are they trendy enough in 2016 to warrant a pyramid headline slot?

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head.  I just couldn't imagine them headlining the Pyramid, since they don't seen to have that much mainstream appeal in this country these days, but you're right, by any measure you care to use, they're far bigger than your usual Other Stage headliner - to the point of making that not a goer.

I'd like to see them on Other, but I think ultimately they're Pyramid or nothing, with the likely result of nothing.

Unfortunately I think Isle of Wight is the probable destination for them if they play a UK festival.

5 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Fair points well made. To be honest I didn't realise they were still that big outside the UK

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Cut Copy have got The Park written all over them in big letters.  I bet one of my hats on it.

Never been in the park mate. Have generally spent my time there around The Glade, Arcadia and West Holts.

Will hopefully get the opportunity to give the Park a go :-)

edit: and The Blues

Edited by eastynh