The View from a Newbie

Hutchmaster

On the coach back to Liverpool now so thought I'd give a quick view  on how I found Glastonbury as a first timer!

All in all I did really enjoy myself the majority of the time. Seeing acts such as Richard Hawley, James Blake, Lumineers and of course LCD Soundsystem all on the same weekend is something dreams are made of. You'd be surprised the lack of artists such as these who play Liverpool/Belfast so it was fantastic to be able to see them all. I had no real gutting clashes on reflection either, I'm more than happy with everyone I saw and haven't felt any regrets.

For the site itself, the mud was of course a big downside. It made it seriously difficult to get around the site especially as most of the time I had no clue where I was going. It was a big downer that there was no point over the weekend where I could just sit on the grass and chill but the festival can't be blamed for that. I didn't sample the nightlife really as I was going sober and wanted to make sure I was fit and ready for seeing the bands each day as that's what I was there for and I'd have been gutted to miss out on act for being on my deathbed, Arcadia looked cool though!

One thing that I didn't really catch was the magic of the festival and I'm gutted about that. While there's no doubt it's a superb festival and probably the best around, I've had no instant desire to come back. Not to say I won't be back, if I like the line up next year I may chance my arm in the resale again. I think it may come down to the fact I wasn't with any close friends really, I tagged along with my housemate and his mates who I only met at the festival and while they were all really nice, I sort of felt like this would've been better shared with a group of the lads from home. Or maybe it's because I've done my back in..

But yeah, despite the negatives I still had an amazing time overall and I would definitely recommend to anyone to do at least once!

I know Glasto is all about new experiences, and with that in mind, new people experiencing the festival for the first time is really what is all about.... BUT! When you read this and many other similar stories of new visitors really not getting it... It does make me sad when I would have given an organ to have been in there this weekend! And I am sure there hundreds, if not thousands, just like me! 

I have now missed out on tickets for the last two years and or the last two years it has really hurt! I mean really hurt!! I tried all 3 sales, sat there refreshing etc.. Did everything I possibly could and it just didn't happen for me. Gutted doesn't cover it. Actually quite depressing being sat at home with it going on. 

I have already said that no matter what happens next year I won't miss the festival. I can't! No way I am missing it for three years running. Just isn't happening. 

Last year was my first time and the difference in experience this year is immense. I found last year I took notice of the little things like the painted bins, random signs or sculptures, but this year all I did was watch where I was planting my feet. So I totally get how the magic has passed you by. Last year I was able to visit a lot more areas too.  And yes the simple things of just lying on the grass are not to be underestimated.

I totally get how a first timer wouldn't get the "magic" of the festival if that was their first year. As an 18th timer, I had a nice time and will be back, but so many of the things you would normally do won't happen when it's like this. You're going to see fewer bands than you expected, and wander the site far less. Thank goodness I got to wander the site in boots on the Thursday before it got too bad. After that, it was just a few bands (still about 15) and pesky stage traversal. 

Do give it another go. When the weather's better (doesn't have to be perfect), it's amazing.

Edited by DTichborne
typod

As a newbie, chatted to many great people and really enjoyed myself. I camped in bushy which had many groups of people who camped in clans and weren't really sociable.

My favourite stage for the weekend was definitely the JP. Many of my highlights came within that tent. Nothing but Thieves, Aurora, Fatboy and M83 were all brilliant.

The constant mud at the other main stages put me off a lot of the time.

As a newbie I was unable to sample the nightlife due to the underfoot conditions I was unable to appreciate the sights because I was constantly trying not to slip over hidden mud soaked bottles of discarded drinks and was basically dragged around on my husbands arm whilst trying not to get knocked over by other festival goers. i think this is what knocks the 'magic' out of a festival, my thighs have literally never ached this much and it's completely down to having to work so hard digging myself out of the mud. In all though I did have a good time and look forward to trying again on a less muddy weekend. 

3 hours ago, Gashead86 said:

I know Glasto is all about new experiences, and with that in mind, new people experiencing the festival for the first time is really what is all about.... BUT! When you read this and many other similar stories of new visitors really not getting it... It does make me sad when I would have given an organ to have been in there this weekend! And I am sure there hundreds, if not thousands, just like me! 

I have now missed out on tickets for the last two years and or the last two years it has really hurt! I mean really hurt!! I tried all 3 sales, sat there refreshing etc.. Did everything I possibly could and it just didn't happen for me. Gutted doesn't cover it. Actually quite depressing being sat at home with it going on. 

I have already said that no matter what happens next year I won't miss the festival. I can't! No way I am missing it for three years running. Just isn't happening. 

To be honest man for a 1st timer that was pretty grim conditions to cope with and you aren't going to full 'get it' when its like that. Things extra you wanted to see were just an extra chore after the mud took it out of the legs in the day. The festival can only do so much to help that too as it's constantly an open barrier.

I have done 7 now and I am seriously considering just sacking next year off as at this point I want a break and can't be doing with it. Also sisters birthday that same weekend.

4 hours ago, slash's hat said:

Last year was my first time and the difference in experience this year is immense. I found last year I took notice of the little things like the painted bins, random signs or sculptures, but this year all I did was watch where I was planting my feet. So I totally get how the magic has passed you by. Last year I was able to visit a lot more areas too.  And yes the simple things of just lying on the grass are not to be underestimated.

Perfectly put. 8th time there and felt that we didn't have any time to just enjoy it. And I really missed laying on our blanket at The Park in the sun with a cold cider sharing a large plate of veggie nachos :(

Sorry this will be an essay but have to write my newbie opinion, even though we're 46 and 52.

We left later on weds due to the traffic news regards the queues, arrived to the queue at 5pm weds and didnt get parked till 1.30am so not a good start. We stayed in Tangerine Fields so already pitched and wandered into the site through the mud and walked straight to the railway line and sat and watched. Instantly fell in love withe place. We stayed till bout 6am and was joined by others who we sat chatting and laughing with.

From thurs to sun we managed about 25 acts from pyramid, other, west holts, avalon, acoustic to the park and rabbit hole. Highlights were New Order, Coldplay and even Madness who got everyone going. 

Favourite areas were the Glade and Avalon and only once ventured to SE corner which we planned to do more.

Overall we loved the overall vibe from the crowd, the friendliness and willingness to help each other. Of course there will always be some dicks they get everywhere unfortunately but were the small minority.

Cant remember the number if times i gave out wipes or gave a light or beer to randoms and always so appreciated.

We intended to do so much more but the conditions put paid to that but think we covered alot anyway. We got drunk, danced, chatted and laughed ALOT!

Things i wish we had done was get up to the park and hill more, we didnt see JP, SH or arcadia and t&c fields.

There is always next year for that and to finally meet up at the efests meet.

We decided to get out after Coldplay due to the car park situation and after getting pushed out we managed to get back to Watford by 2.30 and showered abd in bed by 3am so have had a good sleep.

Finally like to say thanks to the efesters who have helped with advice yr a lovely crowd and just cant wait to get back to the place. Just hopefully will be a bit drier and easier to get around cos my legs are fucked now lol

Have to edit to say also loved ELO and Foals rocked!

Edited by HattersBoy

7 hours ago, Johnkhutch said:

On the coach back to Liverpool now so thought I'd give a quick view  on how I found Glastonbury as a first timer!

All in all I did really enjoy myself the majority of the time. Seeing acts such as Richard Hawley, James Blake, Lumineers and of course LCD Soundsystem all on the same weekend is something dreams are made of. You'd be surprised the lack of artists such as these who play Liverpool/Belfast so it was fantastic to be able to see them all. I had no real gutting clashes on reflection either, I'm more than happy with everyone I saw and haven't felt any regrets.

For the site itself, the mud was of course a big downside. It made it seriously difficult to get around the site especially as most of the time I had no clue where I was going. It was a big downer that there was no point over the weekend where I could just sit on the grass and chill but the festival can't be blamed for that. I didn't sample the nightlife really as I was going sober and wanted to make sure I was fit and ready for seeing the bands each day as that's what I was there for and I'd have been gutted to miss out on act for being on my deathbed, Arcadia looked cool though!

One thing that I didn't really catch was the magic of the festival and I'm gutted about that. While there's no doubt it's a superb festival and probably the best around, I've had no instant desire to come back. Not to say I won't be back, if I like the line up next year I may chance my arm in the resale again. I think it may come down to the fact I wasn't with any close friends really, I tagged along with my housemate and his mates who I only met at the festival and while they were all really nice, I sort of felt like this would've been better shared with a group of the lads from home. Or maybe it's because I've done my back in..

But yeah, despite the negatives I still had an amazing time overall and I would definitely recommend to anyone to do at least once!

The first time we went, in 2008,  weather was also pretty miserable, albeit with occasional bursts of hot sunshine.  We didn't get it either,  but realised there was so much we hadn't done and we should try again.  The following year we totally fell in love with the place.  I think you're being amazingly philosophical about the disappointment you feel, but it's a lot to ask of yourself to be in love with the experience when the weather was shit, you weren't there with people you could share and find the magic with,  and the relentless battle with the mud made it hard work for everyone.  Go again, with someone you care about.  Even if the weather's bad you'll enjoy it,  and maybe catch the magic too.

It was my boyfriends first time there and I can honestly say he had a massive grin on his face from start to finish and said he wants to go back every year of his life which was a very good result. He didn't even get to see a lot of things this time so still plenty of exploring to do next time :)

I didn't 'get' the magic of the festival until my 4th trip back. I went in 97, 98 (bad weather) and 99 (good weather) but it wasn't until 2003 when I returned after a 4 year absence that I really found the magic.

its funny but when I went in the 90s I ran headlong into the festival & rather concentrated on my own personal experience   and I didn't pick up vibes around me, however something hooked me and made me want to go back and it was only then when I returned that I felt I understood the place better

Even now there are some years where I return and feel the spirit I saw back then is in short supply but this year I found it again & it makes you love the place even more. I think it stemmed this year from the solidarity of everyone against the weather conditions, and also against the news we all received on Friday morning 

13 hours ago, Gashead86 said:

Sorry to hear this. Keep trying. With some luck this years mud may put some people off for applying next year

it was my wife and her step daughters first time (my 8th) and they both loved it.

She actually said that she didn't find the mud that big a deal, I also thought that while it was very muddy and the sticky stuff is a real pain you just get on with it.  While the sticky stuff is very hard to walk in at least it's not too slippy and sloppy that your likely to fall in!

Her main issue was probably overcrowding.

That and not being able to sit down easily but that was just down to the conditions and we coped ok with a bin bag a few times and found a seat if required!

I last went in 2010 (I think, thought it was more recently but looking at line ups it looks the most recognisable!) and I felt it was more crowded than ever that year, this year seemed even worse.  Obviously the mud creates more crowding issues, people aren't sat around so much and probably don't wander as far but looking at camping spaces, toilet queue's and crowds to get in and out of main areas I feel that there's a few too many people in the place to cope with the conditions.

Other than that though, she definitely got the magic of the festival, loved the endless things to see and do, the food great food choices and the general good atmosphere around the place.

The 16 miles we covered in 8 hours on the coach was no deterrent either, though it was a little tiresome we quite enjoyed the occasional trip into a pub, walking along beside the coach and general atmosphere.  The uncertainty of how far you may find yourself chasing the bus when it suddenly got a move on added to the fun!  Those that set off drinking rapidly early on the bus ride didn't enjoy things so much though and we had to laugh at their attitude as they got grumpier and grumpier.  "this is the worst day of my life"  If spending a day on a bus drinking with your mates knowing that at some point you'll get to Glastonbury festival is the worst day of your life then you are living pretty well!

Overall I don't think were disappointed at all.

Oh yeah, her worst moment was probably losing me on her way back to the Coldplay crowd half an hour before they started after going to bar and toilet, she doesn't like heavy crowds at the best of times and was most upset stuck in the crowd by herself with some particularly unhelpful and unpleasant people.  Luckily I found her and managed to get her back to where we were but having experienced that she had a quiet rant at Chris Martin thinking he's god for the next hour and hating the experience as well as bemoaning Chris for not turning people's wrist bands on when Barry Gibb was on because he wanted the attention to himself! (I blame the crowd experience and the large wine drunk while battling through it!) 

21 hours ago, HattersBoy said:

Sorry this will be an essay but have to write my newbie opinion, even though we're 46 and 52.

We left later on weds due to the traffic news regards the queues, arrived to the queue at 5pm weds and didnt get parked till 1.30am so not a good start. We stayed in Tangerine Fields so already pitched and wandered into the site through the mud and walked straight to the railway line and sat and watched. Instantly fell in love withe place. We stayed till bout 6am and was joined by others who we sat chatting and laughing with.

From thurs to sun we managed about 25 acts from pyramid, other, west holts, avalon, acoustic to the park and rabbit hole. Highlights were New Order, Coldplay and even Madness who got everyone going. 

Favourite areas were the Glade and Avalon and only once ventured to SE corner which we planned to do more.

Overall we loved the overall vibe from the crowd, the friendliness and willingness to help each other. Of course there will always be some dicks they get everywhere unfortunately but were the small minority.

Cant remember the number if times i gave out wipes or gave a light or beer to randoms and always so appreciated.

We intended to do so much more but the conditions put paid to that but think we covered alot anyway. We got drunk, danced, chatted and laughed ALOT!

Things i wish we had done was get up to the park and hill more, we didnt see JP, SH or arcadia and t&c fields.

We decided to get out after Coldplay due to the car park situation and after getting pushed out we managed to get back to Watford by 2.30 and showered abd in bed by 3am so have had a good sleep.

Finally like to say thanks to the efesters who have helped with advice yr a lovely crowd and just cant wait to get back to the place. Just hopefully will be a bit drier and easier to get around cos my legs are fucked now lol

I think you either love it or you don't, wet or dry, 2007 was my first year and all the rain just couldn't dampen the experience, luckily I've been able to go back every year since. Everyone finds it easier when it's dry for obvious reasons but even on a dry year it's not possible to take it all in... 

Edited by miniand
editted cause i quoted twice

Told you it was nothing like Isle of Wight festival.

Edited by tjamest

I'll try and be brief, but no doubt I won't be..

This was my first time and likewise for the two mates I went with.

We had a fantastic time. We wanted to camp with the masses but decided we wanted a bit of home comforts so we found somewhere, a stones throw from the acoustic tent that had toilets and showers. This helped greatly. I know that's not strictly 'glasto' but hey ho..

The drive down on the Wednesday was also trouble free. London to Pilton in 6 hours with an hours stop for lunch. And after reading all the horror stories about people's journeys to glasto we thanked our lucky stars.

The festival itself. We made a list of bands we wanted to see but not stressing out if it was physically impossible to get from one area to the next in time. I think we saw the majority of bands we wanted to along with at least half a dozen new acts we are now fans of! We listened to rock, pop, disco, rave, indie, punk, funk , didgeridoos , bagpipes... The lot!

We saw pretty much all areas , most of which were on the Wednesday and Thursday. The rain? It didn't matter. The mud? The first 24 hours was hellish but after that it really didn't matter. 

The vibe was great. Made many new friends. We shared stories ,laughs,beers, wine boxes, sweets, pasta carbonara etc.... 

It really is difficult explaining to someone who has never been what Glastonbury is like. The best way would be to say that a village is built in Somerset. It's about 1000 acres in size. They then drop 170000 people into it and say 'party!!!'

I had told my wife Prior to going that I was only going to glasto once (my 50th birthday is rapidly approaching) . I may well have inadvertently lied to her....

16 hours ago, Helsbels said:

It was my boyfriends first time there and I can honestly say he had a massive grin on his face from start to finish and said he wants to go back every year of his life which was a very good result. He didn't even get to see a lot of things this time so still plenty of exploring to do next time :)

it was my girlfriends first time and she felt the same, she loved everything about it despite the weather and the fact she didn't get home until 5am yesterday morning and was back at work at 8am....she said it was well worth it!

Granted the weather was a nightmare but we was with good friends and had a great time, we never made it Shangri La as the weather was crap and it was too busy the night we tried but we wandered around until 6:30am sunday morning and saw loads of the site!

Honestly, it's not just the weather first time which will impact, there's so much to take in its almost overwhelming first time.

I had a brilliant time in my first year. That was 2010, the year of 30 degree heat for 5 days. But on the Sunday I remember thinking I probably wouldn't rush back despite having had a great time. In 2011, I returned to terrible weather by comparison but it felt more special to be there, paying more attention to the details.

By the Sunday of 2011, I was sat up on the hill on my own in tears because it'd be two years before we had chance to come back. I just feel it takes more than one to truly let it become part of you, no matter how much you see, love and experience the first time.