2016 Highlights

Winslow Leach

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

We're seeing him next week in Frome but with the breaking news of Friday we changed plans and went to hear what he had to say....we were against the barrier and at one point I found myself fist in the air shouting 'Go on Billy!'....I swear if he had asked us to march on Whitehall at that moment I would have followed him all the way there.

Emotional stuff.

Yep that sums it up brilliantly!  We all would have done I think.

My absolute highlight was Underworld. I was toying between then and several other options but in the end the ease of getting to West Holts made by mind up for me and thank fuck for that - they were utterly, utterly awesome from start to finish.

Other highlights were Blossoms (went a bit fangirl, sorry... I'm far too old for that really... :ph34r:), the Stephen Frost Improv Allstars in the Astrolabe (who made me laugh so much I think I pulled something), and New York Brass Band on Greenpeace on Thursday morning. 

Oh, and The Wood. Everything about The Wood. It's GORGEOUS.

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

Best set: Coldplay

Biggest surprise: Adele

Biggest disappointment: finding  out the result of the referendum (though Im not british or european) 

Best moment that got ruined: the silent two step twice.. 

Edited by e2p2

On 28 June 2016 at 6:07 PM, pie_and_a_pint said:

My absolute highlight was Underworld. I was toying between then and several other options but in the end the ease of getting to West Holts made by mind up for me and thank fuck for that - they were utterly, utterly awesome from start to finish.

Exactly the same situation as me, had it not been for the conditions I'd have been up at the JP for Sigur Ros. Decided to grab a beer a the right hand side of WH, chill until Underworld came on and see how they were. Proceeded to dance about for an hour absolutely loving it. They were terrific. 

having a stroll round site with friends fri and sat .

band of horses and monsters of men

love will tear us apart .....fav

meeting gary from reef

sitting in the JPfield which was great with some fab stuff on

worst was worrying about my back which i fucked up on wed helping friends get there shit in

so last one was ok all in all

meeting a few nfr people in R/F pub with out even knowing it was on lol oh and seeing sawdusty looking happy

Underworld playing Dark & Long AND cowgirl, two of my favourites that they didn't play last time I saw them.

Finally getting to see New Order and hearing Blue Monday and Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Everything about Craig Charles' set at Hell stage. We went to check it out for half an hour, ended up flat out front centre for the whole almost 4 hours.

Get Innocuous.

Kamasi Washington was absolutely sublime, just the tonic we needed on Sunday afternoon.

Beak were another highlight. Bonus points for the excellent repartee in between songs!

i loved beck and blossoms,

ive seen coldplay quite a few times even though ive never really taken to them i think there set and atmosphere was great

Oh and the feeling taking me back to 2006 was a good laugh B B B B Baby

Edited by Tomo18

St Paul & The Broken Bones were brilliant - a shame there weren't more people there but meant lots of dancing space. I also want a pair of his shoes. 

Nothing But Thieves - a HUGE crowd for midday in John Peel. Can see them as future headliners.

Coldplay and Adele were brilliant headliners, both for completely different reasons. 

I was one of the few people who saw Dermot O'Leary DJ in the Rabbit Hole on Friday night which was a lot of fun.

Taking my Mum and Dad to Ultimate Power on Thursday afternoon in Williams Green has to be one of my favourite ever Glastonbury highlights of the ten times I've been. They had SO MUCH FUN and we sang very loudly indeed. 

My highlights, in no particular order were:

LCD (obvs)

Hinds - having so much fun on stage, and at the festival in general ("we've been here since Thursday, and all fallen over like a million times!")

I was a bit worried about skipping the 'bigger' Saturday night headliners, but Kano smashed it. (Bonus reading: http://noisey.vice.com/en_uk/blog/kano-glastonbury-2016)

Beck was great, although I managed to sleep through the start of it and missed the first 15 mins or so.

Skepta was pure energy, and a great way to kick Friday off. I was a little worried he might struggle with the size of the crowd, but it felt like a real moment.

Plenty more as well, but I won't bore you all.

On 27/06/2016 at 7:08 PM, Titters said:

Best band of the weekend - Braids. I hope they break through and get a decent following, because they have SO MUCH talent. 

Braids in the glade were absolutely brilliant.  As you say, the talent on display was incredible and it was great to watch them working together as a band.  You could see them all looking at each other for various cues.  The drummer was particularly good.

I am a big fan of all 3 of their albums, but this performance rose them to a whole new level in my book.