2016 Highlights

Winslow Leach

Madness for making my wife weep along to Bowie's Kooks

Coldplay for cheering my kids up on a wet evening

Gregory Porter and Gary Clark Jr for being the right bands at the right time

Special find - Larking Poe

Best of the lot - Underworld. Perfect after a 10 hour return trip back from Glasto to Leeds to pick up eldest daughter (yes, after a 12 hour trip on Wednesday...)

Love the festival. Back next year for more 'punishment' ;-)

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sets - Sigur Ros and Beans On Toast.

Moments - James Blake with Bass that rearranged my internal organs, Jo Cox tribute, Viola Beach being given their headline moment. 

Parties - Jagwar Ma in Crow's Nest (just amazing fun), Wheel Of 4 Tunes

Best band of the weekend - Braids. I hope they break through and get a decent following, because they have SO MUCH talent. 

45 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And let the record show that Adele absolutely fucking slayed it.

I called it back on the Adele thread after seeing her at the O2.  I got called out for supporting a tax dodger on a thread hijack and ridiculed for suggesting she has good "banter". 

Glad she was given the chance to showcase and win many round.

St Paul and the Broken Bones

John Grant

Art Garfunkel

Lekiddo the Lord of the Lobsters (cheered me up on the Summer House stage when I was a bit down and didn't know what to do)

Finding Srummerville and sitting on a sofa with a beer (or three) listening to the Mystery Jets and talking to strangers

Earth Wind and Fire

Wheel of Fortunes - I had tried to describe them to a couple of people and they came along.  When they came on stage one of my friends said to me "You didn't say they were dressed as Power Rangers"  I replied "well I thought that was taken as read".

Jonathan Kay again - as we went back into the tent pretending to be ostriches, one of our group went passed a friend and said "see you mate, I've been recruited into a cult".

Not a massive fan of pyramid 3 headliners but have to see muse put on a show adele who I really don't have time for belted it out big time and Coldplay u couldn't not enjoy that. On other scales loved beck and tame impala enjoyed bears den and a special mention for aurora she was awesome never seensomeone so excited to be anywhere . Only poor performance ellie Goulding but only stayed for her as between beck and the other special mention elo 

Best three set of headliners I've seen in a long time. Underworld were phenominal, New Order absolutely smashed it and Earth Wind and Fire was a great final party.

Bixiga 70 were  SO much fun. Great way to start up the weekend cause I left James. Couldn't be arsed to wait around for the other stage to open.

Sam Lee played an flawless set as well. The Acoustic Stage is a beautiful place to see music.

Every last moment, being my first time I was just in awe of how big and spectacular the festival is. Main highlights include:

Wolf Alice, I really hope that one day they headline. Foals. ZZ Top. New Order. Coldplay, wasn't happy when they got announced but they do put on a great live show. Madness. Tame Impala. Multiple bands in the Greenpeace fields on the Thursday. 

My favourite highlight was walking up through the park and getting to the Glastonbury sign and looking out over the whole festival and taking it in. Within 2 hours of arriving I had already decided I wanted to come back for 2017 (tickets depending). What a truly magical place.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

And let the record show that Adele absolutely fucking slayed it.

When she actually sang, I'd agree. I found the constant between song patter pretty interminable though and stopped any momentum from building. Had the potential to be a truly memorable headline set but it didn't quite reach those heights for me.

Enjoyed it on the whole though.

Forgot to mention Newton Faulkner performing Bohemian Rhapsody in his pants.

The trombonist from New York Brass Band standing on the table to perform the riff along with A Message to You Rudy in the Theatre Bar.

Billy Bragg - very emotional.

There'll probably be others........

CHVRCHES into M83 on Saturday night was beautiful, even if I had gone through a considerable amount of gin just before. Slightly annoyed I didn't get to watch as closely as I usually would, but so it goes. I am actually convinced Lauren Mayberry is one of the most attractive, endearing women on the planet.

Muse were phenomenal, blew their 2010 set away.

Band of Horses popped in an unexpectedly great set. Skepta convinced me to give him another listen. Coldplay were fun but thought they overcooked it a bit - enjoyed 2011 more.

40 minutes ago, Andeeroo said:

When she actually sang, I'd agree. I found the constant between song patter pretty interminable though and stopped any momentum from building. Had the potential to be a truly memorable headline set but it didn't quite reach those heights for me.

Enjoyed it on the whole though.

Opposite view from me. If she'd just come on and rattled through the hits it might have been a bit soulless, whereas she turned on the charm and brought a beautiful balance to the whole thing. Charisma in spades.

Won over all the cynics in my group.

Highlight musically was LCD Soundsystem, the perfect closing set and a wonderful crowd. We were just surrounded by people loving it and it really added to the atmosphere.

I loved Power Ballad Yoga at Greenpeace, a hilarious way to open up Thursday morning and well worth the trudge across the festival.

My favourite moment was on Friday lunchtime, I wasn't feeling too great and not really up for it. I grabbed a copy of the free press and was sat in the Theatre field bar with a mojito when suddenly a group of people dressed as silver fish appeared and began dancing to Loose Yourself to Dance. Before I knew it the whole crowd was full of people dancing, fish dancing on the tables and just a tent full of love and joy. Fixed my head immediately and sent me on my way for a lovely Friday.

Syrian orchestra - came down to watch it a little fragile from the night before. A Jo Cox tribute by Portishead was first which was so haunting I'm still not really over it. Then the orchestra came on and played beautifully...I especially loved Damon Albarn coming on for 'out of time'. All this paired with the news about Brexit had me in floods throughout the orchestras performance.  Just so moving and gave me my first 'glastonbury moment'.

Adele - she was amazing, loved how likable she is.

Craig Charles funk n soul - rain or shine that party at hell stage was kicking off. So much fun I ended up missing two acts off my list to carry on dancing.

Oh my god! Its the church! - caught this at bimble Inn.  So much fun! Seriously...if you like stuff like wheel of four tunes put this on the list for next time. Hysterical!

Finally...everyone is on about LCD or Coldplay but the real party was at West Holts with Earth wind and fire last night. Great atmosphere and a fantastic end to a great year!

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Really surprised by Gregory Porter. In the past thought he was a bit lightweight but on the Pyramid he made me wish he headlined.

agreed....thought he was perfect for the time of the day and how i felt. really uplifted/motivated me to enjoy my sunday!

PJ Harvey for me, biased as I expected/wanted it to be great. she looked fabulous up there didn't she. I like how she's moving around a lot more than on the last tour. can't wait to see her when she hits NYC

Muse - yes, their albums aren't good anymore but you put them on a stage like this and they are one of the most powerful bands in the world. pretty amazing and I'm glad i didn't skip out of them.

Foals - It looked like they were really going for it, biggest gig of their lives. up in front of barrier i thought it was well-received.

Gregory Porter - I'll be playing this set back many times over the years, buying more of his stuff this week. a few tough days with the mud and all, and i slept in a bit Sunday and was ranking this as my 7th or 8th best of my 8 Glastonburys but he started off what was a good day for me, made me feel a lot better about the whole weekend.

I've never been into LCD Soundsystem (and was a bit ticked off at how 'magically' reuniting turns them into sudden headliner status around the world) so I went with Coldplay as it's the only place in the world I'd see them at. I was ready to do a walkabout and also see LCD, but I couldn't leave, got stuck into this...spectacular stuff, pretty incredible from back of the field dead center. Staying Alive and bringing Eavis on too...They were part of a good final "rush" for a positive view of the whole weekend. i can't knock a guy (Chris Martin) who loves the festival as much as we do, who would write a letter to Springsteen to get him to play, takes his kids around every festival... but... it sounds like LCD Soundsystem was up in Portishead '13 status?