Muddiest one yet?

MilkyJoe

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2007 was muddier, but it was sloppy wet mud (I remember in the dance field it was over a foot deep in parts) which made it more 'fun' (for want of a better word) - people were painting themselves with it and diving in it(!?!) Moving through it became a game and everyone was helping each other and laughing about it. This mud seemed more bleak and miserable. Maybe it's because the festival is busier, or because I'm now a grumpy old crone, but I also think it's a different type of mud (now I sound like a rail company: IT'S THE WRONG TYPE OF MUD!)

2007 also didn't cause as much traffic havoc entering site (can't comment on leaving yet, but we left after Beck last night as a precaution!) 

nowhere near 2007 - I think Michael's comment about it being the worst wasn't just talking about the last five days - seems a lot of infrastructure expected on site before the start was missing because it had got stuck at Download. So mud had made the build that much harder - harder than any previous year.

3 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Concur on the wrong type of mud....found it utterly energy sapping, so thick and claylike. Watery mud, you can just scoot through but my word for the festival is 'trudging'. 

And people stopping for a chat on the metal walkways. Argh!!!

Perfect summation of why it was so hard this year (and again, I enjoyed plenty of it). You're completely right about the metal walkway bit, and then you think about that... how depressing is it that at a festival, stopping to chat in certain places has to be a no no? 

One thing I will say this year is that I can make no apology for taking a chair with me every day. I was considerate in deploying it, but couldn't have gotten through without it. To put that in context, I'm 43 but also ran a marathon recently. It's certainly not a question of fitness! 

Some interesting quotes from Eavis here - https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jun/26/michael-eavis-laments-muddiest-ever-glastonbury-festival

“Every single bit of woodchip in the south of England, all of it is here over 1,000 acres. I’ve never seen mud like it in the whole life "

Talks with Longleat are ongoing, but Eavis said it was not yet a firm plan. “We will be doing something hopefully in 2019, but they [Longleat] came this weekend to look and they are not that impressed,” 

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Concur on the wrong type of mud....found it utterly energy sapping, so thick and claylike. Watery mud, you can just scoot through but my word for the festival is 'trudging'. 

This... stopping on the walkways - infuriating!!! 

13 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

Definately not as bad as 2007 mud-wise, it never even started drying that year. 

the problem when it starts drying, as it did this year, is that it's impossible to get around

saturday night in SE corner was just complete chaos, boots getting stuck everywhere, people falling over

1 hour ago, Keithy said:

Oh God yes, incredible selfishness. Having said that I thought most people were good in the conditions, it's worse in the sun when you get large groups moving at pace with a get out of my way attitude.

20 minutes ago, autoinflate said:

the problem when it starts drying, as it did this year, is that it's impossible to get around

saturday night in SE corner was just complete chaos, boots getting stuck everywhere, people falling over

It was like that in the whole of the south east side in 2007, Lost Vagueness was appalling as were the T&C fields. It wasnt as bad this year by a long shot. But yes in the dark its very dangerous.

Not as bad as 2007. It was compounded by the weather. The weather on Sunday night this year was as good as the weather was at it's best point in 2007!

This year was hard though - mainly cos it was muddy from getting out the car for the first time. 2007 at least you had chance to set up in the grass/sun.

24 minutes ago, Yokel Again said:

Not as bad as 2007. It was compounded by the weather. The weather on Sunday night this year was as good as the weather was at it's best point in 2007!

This year was hard though - mainly cos it was muddy from getting out the car for the first time. 2007 at least you had chance to set up in the grass/sun.

Good memory for the details.

Definitely not the worst ever.

Beautiful day today !