Will you be returning next year?

PurpleFire

Will you return to Glastonbury Festival in 2017  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Will you return to Glastonbury Festival (Tickets Aside) in 2017?

• Yes
    • No

Well...I won't be there next year either now. Very early days but 2 positive tests are saying I will have a big responsibility on my hands next year for the first time. I can't tell you how glad I am that I went this year now. I'm really going to miss the place for the time I spend away from it. It almost feels like fate (even though I don't believe in all that stuff) that I ended up getting a ticket in April, when I had accepted defeat in October.

So my question is - What age would you say is an acceptable age to take a child to Glastonbury? I have absolutely no idea, but I couldn't imagine taking one when they were only a couple of years old. Maybe it would be easier if I went with friends with kids next time instead so we can take turns I suppose. Fucking hell man :lol:

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

Well...I won't be there next year either now. Very early days but 2 positive tests are saying I will have a big responsibility on my hands next year for the first time. I can't tell you how glad I am that I went this year now. I'm really going to miss the place for the time I spend away from it. It almost feels like fate (even though I don't believe in all that stuff) that I ended up getting a ticket in April, when I had accepted defeat in October.

So my question is - What age would you say is an acceptable age to take a child to Glastonbury? I have absolutely no idea, but I couldn't imagine taking one when they were only a couple of years old. Maybe it would be easier if I went with friends with kids next time instead so we can take turns I suppose. Fucking hell man :lol:

Took my daughter at 8 months old.

Totally do-able as long as you understand that you will have a very different festival. Loads more to discover there with kids, enjoy it and make the most of it.

My kids are now in their teens and starting to go their own way at festivals leaving me and the mrs to return to our bad old ways a little! 

But, you know what, best times were with the kids, and I have a LOT to compare it to!

Edited by HalfAnIdiot

5 hours ago, Alan_C said:

My daughter says she'll take my grand daughter once she is 4.  It is her birthday over the Glastonbury weekend each year (born on the Wednesday in 14) and to be honest looking at her capability now I think she'd cope fine with it, but I totally respect every parent's decision on when they feel it is right for both them and the child.

When my daughter does start taking her I very much look forward to doing my bit with baby sitting duties, I'm more than happy to spend time doing the quieter stuff with the little one so mum and dad can go throw themselves into some decent gigs.

I wimped out with my kids, didn't take them til they were 16.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The latter.  Albeit I managed to nab a seat for the first time in 48 hours and so wasn't about to shift out of it for anything. 

Likewise I grabbed one of those precious seats. Probably sat next to me . Awesome performance indeed.

6 hours ago, Alan_C said:

It really depends on you and your child. Midwives will tell you all children are different, but it took me years to actually believe them!  Lots of people take their kids at all sorts of ages, but I strongly suspect my daughter (3) would have a hell of a time and be utterly overwhelmed by the festival. Not only that, but it would be emotionally exhausting for my wife and I.  But that's us. We have friends that have taken their little one with success. All three of them, particularly the child are more chilled out.

But to give more concrete advice, it's probably easier when they're a baby, able to sit up, but not run away! When nearly 2, it seems that might be the hardest, but people take their kids at all ages.

Personally, we've been talking about taking her next year, but I can't help think that Glastonbury has nothing to offer my daughter that couldn't be done better by smaller, less crowded festivals. But that's my daughter, you'll get to know your child when they turn up.

Not sure if that was any use!

We do smaller festivals with ours normally but did take the 12 year old this year. As a result I saw hardly any bands. After headliners was frightening and you would have to be the sort of parent who doesnt mind your under 10s knowing all the words. Which I'm not.

So in summary 12 was a good age but never again. Sticking to Green man/Shambala/Latitude for the kids and saving Glastonbury for our 5 days a year for us.

We took our little one to the Corbridge festival last week as a wee taster. Planning to get out camping with him over the summer as well but it's unlikely we'll get him to glastonbury until he's about 5 or 6. I'll happily sacrifice my fun for his once I feel he'll get the most out of it.

Congratulations @Alan_C, fingers crossed you've got understanding grandparents who might take over for the weekend??

Cheers for the input people. I'm still in shock about all of it. I aim to be back by 2020 at the latest, but I'm not sure how I will go about it yet! I have bowed out in such a posItive way this year though. Underworld, New Order and LCD. I don't think I'll ever beat that as a set of headliners. I think the answer is probably gonna end up being going in a group and taking turns.

5 hours ago, Alan_C said:

Cheers for the input people. I'm still in shock about all of it. I aim to be back by 2020 at the latest, but I'm not sure how I will go about it yet! I have bowed out in such a posItive way this year though. Underworld, New Order and LCD. I don't think I'll ever beat that as a set of headliners. I think the answer is probably gonna end up being going in a group and taking turns.

Congratulations firstly 

ive spoke to a few ppl that have brought kids amd ive spoke to a few the have kids and wouldnt. And obviously from efests the convo comes up time and time again.

its a personal thing I suppose, at the minute i wouldn't know where to begin with a kid and would have no intention bringing 1. But ive only been twice and ive always been on the party party side. Having said that ive read countless stories on here of ppl who felt the same as me and then found themselves in your shoes, tried it and have loved it just is much but in a different light. 

Id say no matter what you read on here, you'll pick up good advice, the only person thatll know when the time is right is you. Because as S2H said every kids different, but so is every parent. 

Good luck whatever, ive a feeling ill be asking the same question at some stage 

6 hours ago, Alan_C said:

"Everyone's different" disclaimer aside, here's my sequence of events:

2010: Went to Glasto, all fancy free for the last time.

2011: Didn't go. Got married just before the festival, returning from honeymoon 2 days before the gates opened. Wrong footed by the moving of the fallow. Really wished I'd been there, but didn't work out.

2013: Didn't go. In March, baby 2 hats was born. Thought about going before she was born, but when the festival came around, zero regrets.

2014: Returned! After much soul searching, I went to the festival sans wife and child, but missed the little one immensely and had decided not to try for tickets the following year. John Grant was still good though.

2015: Didn't go. Although I did make a half hearted attempt to get a ticket in the end. I would have probably put my ticket back in the pot in the end, the kid - or more to the point - my wife needed me.

2016: Back in the saddle! Again without the family.  I didn't feel overwhelmed by guilt or have any urge to stay at home the next year. Which brings us to:

2017:??? For months, have been talking about the three of us attending in 2017. However in the immediate build up to the festival, the idea of taking a child didn't seem quite as appealing. M2H has been before - 1997, 1998 and 2007! We've been talking about a smaller festival that's not so overwhelming for the little one and is generally less hard work. However, one subject that's not been raised is that Radiohead are playing Glastonbury next year and I've had unfinished business with that band since choosing to see Primal Scream headline the dance tent in 1997...

So on that basis a return by 2020 at the latest sounds about right to me. I no longer feel like I'm going to go every year, so each festival now feels more special. I went into this one assuming I wasn't going to be back for another couple of years, but now I'm not so sure. I thought there was a chance I might never return in 2010, but it looks like the place is back in my blood - so parentals doesn't mean an end, but I don't regret the pause.

There was a little girl in the village inn on Thursday evening high fiving everybody and having little dance offs with anybody who indulged her, I'm not good with kids ages but she couldn't have been more than 3 or 4. She was having the time of her life and it was probably the cutest thing I've ever seen. I remember thinking (if I had kids) I'd defiantly want to take them if I thought they'd enjoy themselves as much as that. The only thing that possibly changed my mind was then seeing people go through the ordeal of hauling buggies through the mud all weekend, obviously you can't predict the weather but if they're buggy age and it's a mud year that could have a big impact on your enjoyment. We've left having kids relatively late (I'm 34) which as far as Glastonburiy is concerned is a good thing for me because by the time I have them and they are old enough it won't be about me anymore and I'll probably want the sort of festival which would be about the kids enjoying it rather than getting off my tits for 5 days.

9 hours ago, Alan_C said:

Massive congratulations, you will find out what type of child you have been blessed with in time, only then can you make the right decision, my daughter is a bit of a princess and really couldn't cope with lots of mud and rain so I will leave her at home until she is old enough to deal with whatever conditions the festival throws at us. 
Charm x

Take children to GB?

Both mine (13 and 10) have been going since birth (think my daughter may have missed her first year).  My son was 3 mth old and he got to experience Radiohead, David Gray and REM amongst others.  He also saw Sufjan Stevens as a babe in arms.  Has since seen hundreds of bands.  My daughter's first gig was Paul Simon at the BIC in 2006 (6 mth).  They both love music and have had the opportunity to see a number of bands and singers who, for one reason or another, they will never have another opportunity to see.  The only downside?  Well, the daughter watched Ad*** and Col***** this year.  Still, a small price to pay to also get them to The Fall, Yoko Ono, Art Garfunkel, Tune-Yards and the like over the years.  If you are in any doubt, ask yourself, would you have been happy to know your parents took you to see Jimi at Woodstock (I would have been 2yr old).  If that means nothing to you, then you've answered your question.  If it means everything to you - you've answered your question.

23 hours ago, Pipkins said:

If you are in any doubt, ask yourself, would you have been happy to know your parents took you to see Jimi at Woodstock (I would have been 2yr old).  If that means nothing to you, then you've answered your question.  If it means everything to you - you've answered your question.

Love the concept, really wish it worked for me, I would love to take my daughter but I know for a fact that she wouldn't like it, I like to think she will find Glastonbury at the right time for her, just like I did. 
Charm x 

23 hours ago, Pipkins said:

would you have been happy to know your parents took you to see Jimi at Woodstock

Well - my parents say (and my brother is convinced) we saw him when I was little... when Jimi used to do variety shows - they think it was the Mike & Bernie Winters show but can't remember. I can find no evidence that as a 4 or 5 year old I saw him :-(

Many congratulations Alan

We took our daughter to her first Glastonbury when she was 9 months old and she has now been to them all over the last 15 years.

We had been going for about 10 years before she came along so we were happy to do a good mixture of kids stuff and stuff for us. The kids field is absolutely fantastic and a jewel of the festival you don't get to see without kids.

best of luck