Will you be returning next year?

PurpleFire

Will you return to Glastonbury Festival in 2017  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Will you return to Glastonbury Festival (Tickets Aside) in 2017?

• Yes
    • No

this is a hard one for me as I have Massive FOMO

I didn't have as much fun this year as I had the last. mainly i think because of the weather. It was hard going and I miss my family terribly. I am a home boy at heart. I had a great time. but would i do it again tomorrow? No is the answer next year is different I love my friends and most of them I only see once a year at Glasto so to me that makes it. I didn't like where we camped this  year (Paines) I love Sober Sunday as I normally place a blanket at a main stage at the back and take in everything that happens that day. you couldn't do that this year. it was hard to go anywhere and do anything. The south East corner was too busy to get to. 

so I am in two minds right now, I think I might prefer a smaller festival , but when it comes to it there is nothing quite like Glastonbury

we shall see In October

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

To be fair, neither of you came out of that looking very good.

I totally agree, but I could tell from his first tweet that there was no point in reasoning with him. It was either ignore or bite, and I bit. 

On 6/29/2016 at 10:49 AM, Skoo said:

Yes I will be back next year, for me the place is a bit like a Mecca, I have to get there each year to reset my brain and remind myself that the world is still an OK place.

That being said, there are some things about the festival that I wish would change. 

Firstly, Arcadia. Yes, it looks bloody cool, I'm not disputing it. But for me, it's just not Glastonbury. It's too dark, too ravey, and seems to attract a really shit crowd. Not saying everyone who goes there is shit but it's one of the places on site where I do encounter a lot of dickheads. Plus, the mud situation there was unbearable, as it is every time it rains. One friend had a panic attack during Andy C because people were constantly pushing into her and she was stuck in the mud. My other friend sprained her ankle for the same reason.

The other thing is Shangrila. I bloody hate it. It's too much like organised fun, and again, too crowded, too muddy & chaotic. I find that people, when put in that situation late at night and under the influence, can become quite pushy & inconsiderate.

I'm not disputing that the concept is very cool - I go there in the day time to have a browse and I like what they're trying to do. But the execution of it makes it a completely unenjoyable experience. 

For me, the magic of Glastonbury is about the festival's ethos. The green element, the magic of the location, the whole feeling of love and support of one another. And of course, the music. 

If I want a festival where I can just rave the night away, there's Creamfields and the like. That's not what I want from Glastonbury, and it never used to be like that.

Perhaps I'm just still craving the magic of my first few times. In 2007, my first year, there was no Arcadia, Park, or Shangrila.

And the thing I loved so much about that experience was the ability to simply wander around after dark, and happen upon a random bar playing tunes with people dancing in the rain, or coming across the bandstand with a whole crowd of people with kazoos humming theme tunes to game shows. It was all truly random, and totally magic for me. 

The stone circle was full of hippies playing bongos, people chatting, fires and the like. Now it's a place for getting whatever drugs you need.

This year, and for the past few years, I'm finding it way too messy and ravey, a bit of a darker element at night (and I'm not talking about lack of sunlight!) and I am having fewer and fewer random experiences and find myself getting frustrated with the constant bottle necks.

I suppose because Shangrila and Arcadia are considered to be the late night areas, people just flock there after the headliners, which makes that corner of the site unbearable for me.

In summary, for me, it's all getting a bit too messy and ravey. Don't get me wrong, I love to get a bit high myself, but it's all about setting, and I dunno, the constant boom boom tick tick that's so prevalent now (rather than just sporadically through the festival) adds a ravey, messy element, that detracts from the festival's ethos for me.

I just miss being able to bimble around without hearing constant rave tunes, and getting caught in crowds of fucked people.

Day times still a-ok for me, just more crowded than I've ever experienced before.

I'll still keep going and hope they just cut down on all the clubby stuff, bring back Lost Vagueness and get shot of Arcadia. Will it ever happen??

This. Pretty much exactly my feeling too.

The mud combined with clashes really bugged this year - meant that I was much less likely to wander to a different stage to experience a "maybe" and more likely to stay put to listen to a "these guys sounds like ... band", while waiting for a "deffo" coming up. Clashes meant I missed more bands I wanted to see than I saw new stuff that impressed me.

at times it seemed like a struggle this year, more because of the traffic in getting around. I tend to roam around a lot and catch a lot of stuff (too much) and it just took a lot longer this year. I missed things, got caught up in traffic on the metal tracks, but I I honestly felt sad leaving on Monday morning and in the week after I've missed it terribly. It seemed there were just so many great sets too, acts really stepping it up knowing it's Glastonbury etc...

the missus thinks I'm taking a year off next year, and she's quite accommodating in letting me leave the family to travel 3500 miles for 6 days and then being in recovery mode for a few days after I get back, and then she sees the credit card bills run up from the bars on site...

however, I can't see missing out next year, especially as I need one more Radiohead pyramid set before I take a break. I kick myself now thinking back about how i was complaining about little things on friday/early saturday w/ the weather and all. As Nal said earlier on here, I'd go next week if it was late June again. My kids also ask about Glastonbury and why they can't go with me (they're 4 and 6 now) maybe i'll take them, if only June trans Atlantic airfares weren't so pricey...

it's still the greatest weekend isn't it...and having missed '11 and '15 in recent years I can tell you it's torture following it from afar, knowing you're not there and 200,000 others are... you can't just ignore it, u still go through your clashfinder thinking who you'd be watching, etc...

I like the fact that the Glastonbury experience changes over the years but I still enjoy it. For example for me I took drugs and did the mad stuff in 05, 07 and 08 but 10 - 16 I've been sober pretty much and enjoy it on a completely different way. I've camped, been in a caravan and a b and b. I've been in big groups of campers and been with and without my partner. I've been with just my sister. All different and has allowed me to see Glastonbury in many different lights. It was still very good for my soul this year despite the mud being tiring. I'm  ready to try in October for sure

On 29/06/2016 at 10:49 AM, Skoo said:

Yes I will be back next year, for me the place is a bit like a Mecca, I have to get there each year to reset my brain and remind myself that the world is still an OK place.

That being said, there are some things about the festival that I wish would change. 

Firstly, Arcadia. Yes, it looks bloody cool, I'm not disputing it. But for me, it's just not Glastonbury. It's too dark, too ravey, and seems to attract a really shit crowd. Not saying everyone who goes there is shit but it's one of the places on site where I do encounter a lot of dickheads. Plus, the mud situation there was unbearable, as it is every time it rains. One friend had a panic attack during Andy C because people were constantly pushing into her and she was stuck in the mud. My other friend sprained her ankle for the same reason.

The other thing is Shangrila. I bloody hate it. It's too much like organised fun, and again, too crowded, too muddy & chaotic. I find that people, when put in that situation late at night and under the influence, can become quite pushy & inconsiderate.

I'm not disputing that the concept is very cool - I go there in the day time to have a browse and I like what they're trying to do. But the execution of it makes it a completely unenjoyable experience. 

For me, the magic of Glastonbury is about the festival's ethos. The green element, the magic of the location, the whole feeling of love and support of one another. And of course, the music. 

If I want a festival where I can just rave the night away, there's Creamfields and the like. That's not what I want from Glastonbury, and it never used to be like that.

Perhaps I'm just still craving the magic of my first few times. In 2007, my first year, there was no Arcadia, Park, or Shangrila.

And the thing I loved so much about that experience was the ability to simply wander around after dark, and happen upon a random bar playing tunes with people dancing in the rain, or coming across the bandstand with a whole crowd of people with kazoos humming theme tunes to game shows. It was all truly random, and totally magic for me. 

The stone circle was full of hippies playing bongos, people chatting, fires and the like. Now it's a place for getting whatever drugs you need.

This year, and for the past few years, I'm finding it way too messy and ravey, a bit of a darker element at night (and I'm not talking about lack of sunlight!) and I am having fewer and fewer random experiences and find myself getting frustrated with the constant bottle necks.

I suppose because Shangrila and Arcadia are considered to be the late night areas, people just flock there after the headliners, which makes that corner of the site unbearable for me.

In summary, for me, it's all getting a bit too messy and ravey. Don't get me wrong, I love to get a bit high myself, but it's all about setting, and I dunno, the constant boom boom tick tick that's so prevalent now (rather than just sporadically through the festival) adds a ravey, messy element, that detracts from the festival's ethos for me.

I just miss being able to bimble around without hearing constant rave tunes, and getting caught in crowds of fucked people.

Day times still a-ok for me, just more crowded than I've ever experienced before.

I'll still keep going and hope they just cut down on all the clubby stuff, bring back Lost Vagueness and get shot of Arcadia. Will it ever happen??

Excellent post, what you said and more. Mecca.............that is what we always compare it to. 

Sadly several friends of mine are saying that after this year . they have had enough.

I'll be there if they'll still have me.

On 27/06/2016 at 1:19 PM, st dan said:

The sad thing about reading this thread is that once people on here who have the festival in their blood and know what it's all about stop going - then the magic of the place dies. 

I'm worried that it will soon just become another music festival. 

From the 'your Moment' thread:

1 hour ago, Steel city camper said:

This year was my 2nd time after going last year and I'd never watched a headline act on the pyramid before until I went to watch coldplay , I'd seen them years earlier in Manchester so knew they could put a good show on but I'd gone off them a little in recent years . Seeing so many headliners on the telly over the years I was now finally in the middle of it all and boy did it not let me down , goose bumps the hairs standing up for every song , the flairs the fire works the thousands upon thousands of wristbands all waving in unison ,this was everything I'd dreamed of and more after trying for so many years for tickets and failing , I was totally blown away and had tears streaming down my face behind my sunglasses (I'd had a little MDMA which helped too , don't judge me). I know that every one on here totally understands why we won't shut up about the place and how special it is and that you'll never understand until you've finally set foot on the greatest farm in the world, I pray I get a ticket next year because I think I'm in love in ,fact I know I am .

I think we'lll be alright. The place keeps rejuvenating itself. It gets in your blood pretty quickly. :)

One of my friends who has gone every year for years and years was telling me by the John Peel tent on the Sunday that she was 'going to have a few years break'

I told her that she is just tired and she would change her mind once she got home and got some sleep.

Shes still adamant at the moment that she is not going, though my bet is that I'll see a 'yay, I've got glasto tickets' Facebook status on ticket day

Its starting to feel like an addiction to me and one I feel I don't know whether it's a good one or a bad one to have. The costs involved are astronomic when I think about it as well.

It's more my core group of friends who are saying they will call it a day. Some of us have just hit 30 which always seems to be an age where the milestone leads to reflection of whether our 'time' is up. Absolutely ridiculous really and a notion I disagree with. But it's how heavy we hit the festival that means age is gonna catch us up! For some it was our 4th in a row.

my friends' attitude it towards made me feel like maybe I should stop flogging a dead horse and treasure the amazing memories I had rather than constantly aspire to make more. 14 of us went in 2013. This year, only 3 out of 6 of us were there that year. 

Not ideal trying to change anyone's mind when you're plodding through mud like that either. I can't comment on the traffic because we were insanely lucky having left Gloucester at half 5 in the morning on weds  to manage to basically get straight into orange car park as our sat nav took us down a back road that basically led straight into it. Wasn't deliberate and i know it caused a lot of problems for residents, it just kind of fell into our laps. We literally didn't stop moving. Someone was smiling on us that Wednesday. But I can totally understand why that traffic puts people off. It was ridiculous.

Totally agree about shangri la. I don't have an issue with Arcadia and thoroughly enjoyed Stanton Warriors on the sunday, but shangri la is flawed. I collapsed after walking there through that mud on the Saturday night and that was still when it was Quiet. I'd never felt so drained. My iPhone step counter told me I did 40,000 steps that day. Little wonder I nearly passed out. Picked myself up for dub pistols, but the place lacks the magic I first experienced there in 2008. It was so cool and chilled then. Does anyone remember the club with the really slanted dance floor? I told my friends for so long how great it was but in 2013 when I next went, it felt like the magic had gone. Since then, it hasn't improved. Found myself just staring at seas of wide eyed people wondering whether you look exactly the same. It's really lost its magic sadly. Although that cheese toastie van opposite hell stage is absolutely bangin'

i saw some amazing stuff this year, LCD, Sigur ros, tame impala, Christine and the queens being the highlights. But next year might be the year I finally go to one overseas, or have the holiday of a lifetime.

but there will never be a place like glasto. And this one won't be my last. Maybe next time I go, i change the way I 'experience' it. :) 

Planning on going in 2017 (provided we get tickets of course).

Went in 2013 and 2015. Can't come every year as it's a damn long way from Australia and an expensive holiday. But am quite happy to be able to go every second year currently. Feel like I've been very lucky with the years I have gone too, in regards to the weather. 

7 hours ago, mb'satglasto said:

Its starting to feel like an addiction to me and one I feel I don't know whether it's a good one or a bad one to have. The costs involved are astronomic when I think about it as well.

It's more my core group of friends who are saying they will call it a day. Some of us have just hit 30 which always seems to be an age where the milestone leads to reflection of whether our 'time' is up. Absolutely ridiculous really and a notion I disagree with. But it's how heavy we hit the festival that means age is gonna catch us up! For some it was our 4th in a row.

my friends' attitude it towards made me feel like maybe I should stop flogging a dead horse and treasure the amazing memories I had rather than constantly aspire to make more. 14 of us went in 2013. This year, only 3 out of 6 of us were there that year. 

Not ideal trying to change anyone's mind when you're plodding through mud like that either. I can't comment on the traffic because we were insanely lucky having left Gloucester at half 5 in the morning on weds  to manage to basically get straight into orange car park as our sat nav took us down a back road that basically led straight into it. Wasn't deliberate and i know it caused a lot of problems for residents, it just kind of fell into our laps. We literally didn't stop moving. Someone was smiling on us that Wednesday. But I can totally understand why that traffic puts people off. It was ridiculous.

Totally agree about shangri la. I don't have an issue with Arcadia and thoroughly enjoyed Stanton Warriors on the sunday, but shangri la is flawed. I collapsed after walking there through that mud on the Saturday night and that was still when it was Quiet. I'd never felt so drained. My iPhone step counter told me I did 40,000 steps that day. Little wonder I nearly passed out. Picked myself up for dub pistols, but the place lacks the magic I first experienced there in 2008. It was so cool and chilled then. Does anyone remember the club with the really slanted dance floor? I told my friends for so long how great it was but in 2013 when I next went, it felt like the magic had gone. Since then, it hasn't improved. Found myself just staring at seas of wide eyed people wondering whether you look exactly the same. It's really lost its magic sadly. Although that cheese toastie van opposite hell stage is absolutely bangin'

i saw some amazing stuff this year, LCD, Sigur ros, tame impala, Christine and the queens being the highlights. But next year might be the year I finally go to one overseas, or have the holiday of a lifetime.

but there will never be a place like glasto. And this one won't be my last. Maybe next time I go, i change the way I 'experience' it. :) 

There's plenty of wonderful stuff going on that doesn't involve the SE corner, I dont go there but regularly see the sun rise, try not to let negative experiences spoil the Glastonbury magic and definitely try a different approach next festival. 
Charm x

12 hours ago, mb'satglasto said:

5 hours ago, Charm said:

There's plenty of wonderful stuff going on that doesn't involve the SE corner, I dont go there but regularly see the sun rise, try not to let negative experiences spoil the Glastonbury magic and definitely try a different approach next festival. 
Charm x

Charms right. After spending 2/3 late nights there in 2014 i thought the place is a must. But with the mud this year i never got there once this year. 

I spent loads of time in other places the park, green futures, stone circle and absolutley fell in love with the small venue in the glade that you can acess from the path( spaceport maybe?) where i sat for a few hours on saturday morning when the djs wher over waffling to randoms and then again for a dj on saturday.

in one way that was the silver lining of the mud this year i explored rather than heading straight to the SE

On 27/06/2016 at 3:46 AM, HattersBoy said:

Most certainly be trying in October can the weather get any worse? 

Yes. 1997 and 1998 to name but two.   2005 and 2007 for those looking a year closer to home.

I wasn't there this year but from what I saw on tv and vlogs on youtube the actual weather during the festival wasn't that bad.  The years I've mentioned above were apocalyptic.

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

You reckon that's a definite or a possible October change of heart? 

Am guessing they're knocking onish - not meant as a criticism - which if true i can understand this year sending doubts. The father in law's the same at the minute but I reckon after three months of badgering he'll be back. 

Yeah, they're getting on, late sixties, just think their enthusiasm has waned, this was their 6th on the bounce and the thought of getting around, all the crowds, that sort of stuff has made them rethink. It's a lot of cash for them and every year they enjoy it a little bit less. I'm cool with it, think it's the right decision for them.

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Would have rather have met them than you. Hey ho. 

Definitely next year mate. This year would've happened if not for the traffic. 

You're on

This was my 11th  Glastonbury and having missed the previous 2 years it was just good to be back again. It's a bit frustrating when the mud makes you have to miss out so much but it was nowhere near as bad as 2007. I was surprised that Michael said this year was the worst the mud has ever been, I guess he'd say '07 was a year of lakes rather than mud!

I never attempted to go to the SE corner and haven't done since 2010. I much preferred Lost Vagueness to Shangri La. I can do without Silver Hayes too, I have to go through it to get to the campsite. I thought the John Peel stage was much better placed in it's new location.

I will be trying for a ticket again next year but I think I'll be going alone (not for the first time). If you miss next year's festival there will not be another one until 2019. It doesn't bear thinking about.

It was my first Glasto and I absolutely loved it! I have been thoroughly depressed since coming home and am completely obsessed with all things related! Having been to all sorts of festivals - V, Reading, Global gathering, creamfields - none compare or are even anywhere close. PLEASE LET ME GET A TICKET!!!!

Just like the post above, been to many festivals in the past but this was my first Glasto. Got my ticket purely due to Muse & Chvrches being there but...

...doesn't matter who's playing next year I want to be there! It's true what they say, Glastonbury itself is the pull & I loved everything about it.

Afternoon all and welcome back :) It's quite nice to feel back in the same boat as you all again i.e. ticketless for the next festival and hopeful!

I've read this thread with a lot of interest. It always fascinates me how different people's responses can be to the same festival in terms of weather experiences, travel issues, crowding, the naughty corner, general crowd vibe etc... also how swiftly people can go from a "never again" to a "yes, count me in"! To be honest, though, nothing really shocked me beyond the pro-Ukip chanting mentioned some pages back...

This was the first year I've missed of Glastonbury since my first in 2008. I seriously caught the bug then and thought I'd never miss a year. But it's got harder and harder to get a ticket (although not impossible, by any means, especially if you're willing to wait until late in the day). In 2014 I held out to the resale, getting a volunteering place as a back-up that I then let go. Last year, though, I was devastated when missing out again and just didn't feel I could put myself through that winter-long wait. There are other festivals out there and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to try them. I also reasoned that I'd have to break my run at some point, so why not now?

That's not to say it was easy. I was in bits after both the coach and normal ticket days and I went back and forth on my decision multiple times before eventually giving the resale a miss. By then I had booked ATP and Blue Dot so I just couldn't justify the expense, especially with my work situation being a bit up in the air. I can't pretend I didn't have the odd twinge since then, but largely I've managed to avoid thinking about it. I've rarely clicked on many threads in Efests (used to be a regular), we went to Spain on the weekend in question - and then all the Brexit fallout kept me pretty preoccupied. The other day I even managed to watch a couple of performances on player (not LCD though, now going to Lovebox so will save myself for that!). 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was surprised, pleased and relieved to discover emotionally something that I already knew intellectually: that missing one isn't the end of the world. Perhaps it's good to have a break sometimes - and, given the weather, I think I picked a good year! I would have got on with it, of course, but I'd always prefer a dry year (my worst is 2011 so I've not had too many wet ones).  The line-up also didn't bowl me over this year (I know that's not everything - and I would actually like to go in a year when there's not much I want to see on the main stages). So I suppose what I'm saying is that if I had to miss a year (and in some ways I did) then this was probably the right one.

Things like the naughty corner being overcrowded I can totally relate to, but I rarely go there now anyway. I've never really found it enjoyable. Particularly in the mud. And the travel issues merely confirm my desire to only go by coach (I know people still got stuck in traffic for ages, but at least there wasn't that walk from the car park...)

I suppose at the end of the day it's about that balance between being hard work and good fun. If you still find it largely good fun, despite some hardships, then you're winning. Once the effort outweighs the enjoyment, perhaps time for a break. 

The way I've done the festival has changed a lot in the seven years I've gone. I do different things, camp with different people, camp in a different place... For a few years I was always trying to create the magic of 2010 - for me this was a perfect year - but last year I went with a partner for the first time and took a very different approach to things. I really enjoyed it and I'm really keen to go back and try this again. 

So there is life after Glasto, it turns out! I'm excited that this year's big festival still lies ahead of me and I'm excited to try some new ones. Glastonbury is a big beast and it's meant in the past that I can't try loads of others I'd like to give a go. Latitude and Green Man still appeal for the future. When I didn't get a ticket last October, I said that I'd try every year in the main sale and let that decided whether I go or not. I'd never rule out the pull of the resale though.

So, yes, I will be trying next year. The prospect of Radiohead and the likelihood of 2018 being fallow (is this still correct?) further spur me on. I don't know how many of my original group will be in, but me and my boyfriend will be (hopefully). It's good for me, though, to know that I can cope with missing one - and cope quite well! It's so popular now that I wonder if everyone should take a year out in rotation now and again (this will be unpopular, I know!).

Interesting to see how the weather/line-up impacts on ticket day 2017...

Sorry for rambling and glad you all (on the whole) had a good one xx