Will you be returning next year?

PurpleFire

Will you return to Glastonbury Festival in 2017  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Will you return to Glastonbury Festival (Tickets Aside) in 2017?

• Yes
    • No

20 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Absofuckinglutely. This was first Glastonbury and after years of watching on TV it was supposed a once off, cross it off the bucket list type thing. Turns out it's not something you can just do once. It's not cheap travelling from Ireland but well worth the money and hassle.

My newbies were bucket listers too and they are already talking about next time. 
Charm x

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/06/2016 at 1:00 PM, Dr Glasto said:

I'll be there next year - absolutely no doubt about it (as long as everything goes to plan!)

I thought this was a brilliant year. There surely could not have been a better place for political solidarity in the face of the referendum result. I felt so much love and community spirit in Leftfield, it was truly inspiring.

As for people criticising the organisation of the festival - I wish you could have seen how much was going on behind the scenes. It was remarkable that the festival even went ahead. Loads of crew members pulled an all-nighter on Tuesday to get things ready after everything was put behind schedule due to the weather in the run-up to the festival. 

The logisitcs of putting down chippings etc when the festival is in full-swing is a complete nightmare, but this was done with minimal disruption to the event. 

Security managed to control numbers in the South-East corner (with the help of stewards) so that it never actually reached dangerous levels. This was being very carefully monitored at all times (I was on the radio channel) to keep people safe.

The whole thing runs like a military operation and whilst there are always going to be some issues with an event this size, it really is extremely well organised. I seriously don't know how they pulled it off this year - total kudos!!

As for the weather - it was actually pretty great during the festival. Mornings were cool enough to get a lie-in, mostly dry and sunny in the afternoons/evening = winning! Yeah the mud was the worst its been since 2007, but there are SO many more places to sit now then there were then, plus it never got too deep to put a chair up so all good with me. 

Oh and PJ Harvey!!!

Really glad we made the effort for the Leftfield this year, really made me feel better about things and King Blues were great....

On 29 June 2016 at 2:25 PM, sophlamb said:

I went this year knowing it will probably be my last one because I'm going into teaching, and I thought I was ok with it. Now that I'm home I'm gutted and hope I manage to go again in the future!

Where do you live? I'm a teacher and did Thursday to Sunday fairly easily. Just arrived at 4:30 each day, which was fine.

On 28/06/2016 at 6:41 PM, SarahLu said:

As a first timer this year I'm really interested to read this thread.  I had an amazing time and loved so much about the experience but also felt  worn out by the end of it due to the things already mentioned.  I'm interested to see someone say there was plenty of room in the campsites.  We set off at 6am (before we heard about the announcement to stay at home), didn't get on site until about 4pm (due to the queues) and had planned to go to Paines but could only find a spot in Baileys and even that was tight (we only had 1 4 man tent).  The queuing situation was the same for everyone so I can't understand how so many people had already got on site.  Campsite toilets were quite far away (in the next field) and through a massive muddy bog which was a nightmare first thing in a morning - getting to the toilet, queuing and getting back to the tent was a half hour round trip, which put me off wanting to drink too much or do anything else because the thought of dealing with that the next morning was too depressing!  Will definitely attempt to camp somewhere else next time, but not sure where.  

Echo what others have said about SE corner.  Luckily we went Weds night and had a great time but couldn't get in Friday and didn't try again after that as the slog was too long to risk being turned away.  Is it normally that bad? 

Set off home Sunday after Coldplay and by the time we had got back to our car park (pink 55) and queued to get out it was gone 4am and we finally got home around 9am!  Despite all this I would go again, but my other half is not so sure.  He felt the queues getting in and out and inability to get in to many places we attempted to due to crowds outweighed the overall cost of the festival.  I'd like to convince him otherwise but as first timers we are not sure how much of these things were due to the weather and what is the norm..

We've camped in Bailey's since 2009, love it because it's usually emptier than fields closer in and a bit quieter. Didn't go last year but this is the fullest I've seen it. We didn't get there till about 3pm/4pm as we too heeded the advice and stopped off, were also surprised by how many people were already onsite. That said there was still spaces that people pitched up in on Thursday night and at the back near the fence. Also seemed to be loads of space in Back House when I walked past the entrance. 

Never had much of a queue for the toilet and thought the trip there while muddy was OK, but it might be that I'm used to it, the composting ones were closer but had bigger queues. 

We did SE corner and obligatory trip to the Rocket Lounge for (too many) strawberry daiquiris, tried once more but was too tough with the mud which was a shame but found plenty of other stuff to do. 

Never get while people leave on Sunday, you must miss part of the day packing up and then sit in queues when you'd rather be asleep.....

The queues/log jams are always worse in a muddy year, we abandoned acts we planned to see and late night stuff due to it as you simply couldn't get around quick enough. The whole festival is such a different place when it's dry. That said had a great time despite the mud and can't wait for next year if, by the grace of the Eavii, we get tickets. 

9 hours ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

The park was there in 2007. It was its first year. 

Yes your correct although its easy to get dates mixed up 

2005 map http://www.glastonburylineup.co.uk/php/interactivemap.html  and 2007 below

I only know this for sure as my Team ended up working in the Park Bar and we had to go hunting for it and I know that many WBC Volunteers failed to find it.

it was a bloody long walk from our crew site and a bloody long walk to get back after a shift.

glasto2007-colour.jpg

8 hours ago, Dixo said:

Where do you live? I'm a teacher and did Thursday to Sunday fairly easily. Just arrived at 4:30 each day, which was fine.

Liverpool, so a bit of a trek. I think for the amount it costs and how much I would have to miss, it wouldn't be worth it. There are plenty more festivals in the world for me to try though!

it's very very unlikely I'll be at the farm next year, I'm moving to Iceland in September so unless something goes quite wrong I won't be in the country and I can't see me being secure/rich enough to pop back

it's a bit of a shame because this years festival was my best so far and I've only just started going so to miss one is brutal but hopefully i'll get to experience some Icelandic festivals instead

Just now, sloseph said:

it's very very unlikely I'll be at the farm next year, I'm moving to Iceland in September so unless something goes quite wrong I won't be in the country and I can't see me being secure/rich enough to pop back

it's a bit of a shame because this years festival was my best so far and I've only just started going so to miss one is brutal but hopefully i'll get to experience some Icelandic festivals instead

O ive definetley got their solstice festival on my list. Bright for 3 days apparently, bot sure if they have one for the winter solstice which would be even cooler!

16 minutes ago, gerardfenton18 said:

O ive definetley got their solstice festival on my list. Bright for 3 days apparently, bot sure if they have one for the winter solstice which would be even cooler!

yeah Solstice is probably going to be my best bet as a replacement, it's a shame Radiohead could hold on one more year for them though :) 

On 4 July 2016 at 8:19 AM, glasto-worker said:

Yes your correct although its easy to get dates mixed up 

2005 map http://www.glastonburylineup.co.uk/php/interactivemap.html  and 2007 below

I only know this for sure as my Team ended up working in the Park Bar and we had to go hunting for it and I know that many WBC Volunteers failed to find it.

it was a bloody long walk from our crew site and a bloody long walk to get back after a shift.

glasto2007-colour.jpg

Not only that but the mud of 2007 meant the walk up to the Park was absolutely treacherous!

Hi folks,

I just joined to say that, providing I can get a ticket come October, I will TOTALLY be returning next year. After a few years of false starts (missing out on tickets, not being in a stable enough financial situation to afford it etc.) I finally went for the first time this year.

It was brilliant! I saw loads of great music, chatted to lots of nice people (I'm not a very sociable person by nature and I had serious worries about going in a group of whom 90% I had never met before, but not only did I get on with them but I found myself regularly talking to strangers around me about all sorts of things). The night life was amazing-I'm not a big dancer but Arcadia was great fun, and there were so many quieter spots to go and chill in when I had had enough of partying. I did so much and tried so many new things, but I still only saw a tiny percentage of the entire festival and I can't wait to go back and experience a lot more.

6 minutes ago, Vango said:

Hi folks,

I just joined to say that, providing I can get a ticket come October, I will TOTALLY be returning next year. After a few years of false starts (missing out on tickets, not being in a stable enough financial situation to afford it etc.) I finally went for the first time this year.

It was brilliant! I saw loads of great music, chatted to lots of nice people (I'm not a very sociable person by nature and I had serious worries about going in a group of whom 90% I had never met before, but not only did I get on with them but I found myself regularly talking to strangers around me about all sorts of things). The night life was amazing-I'm not a big dancer but Arcadia was great fun, and there were so many quieter spots to go and chill in when I had had enough of partying. I did so much and tried so many new things, but I still only saw a tiny percentage of the entire festival and I can't wait to go back and experience a lot more.

Had the very same experience. Welcome to eFestivals! :)

50 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello rzwodezwo. Happy to hear that your festival was fab. That was some effort your group put in to getting to the festival - and back.

And yes, welcome Vango. :)

haha, yes indeed. Would do it all again. 

I will definitely be there next year, the savings club has already been started by the group and we have more additions wanting to attend. I can't see why you wouldn't go, it's the bet 5 days of the year by a mile. Sun, cider, music and great people. What's not to love......yes you might have to que, yes it might get a little busy at times and yes you might be tired. But subtract those few annoying minutes from your day and it gives you 23 hours and 46 minutes of fun 5 days on the bounce....I think the diversity of dance music and live bands is amazing..... Some people want to stand at the front of the pyramid for 10 hours straight some people want to sit on the grass and get stoned and some want to dance under a spider..... You pay your money so have your festival..... Defo see you next year..... Jamie 

I feel bad & at the same time glad for those who were newbies for that one. They can only get better. It's another beast all together when the sun shines & there's some grass that's still green, you can merrily skip from A to B, getting lost along the way, in trainers, instead trudging about, head down staring at mud, making sure you're going the most direct route to a stage/tent. Tending to your blisters with no where to sit down 

There's so much more fun to be had when the grounds dry.

NFR

6 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

I feel bad & at the same time glad for those who were newbies for that one. They can only get better. It's another beast all together when the sun shines & there's some grass that's still green, you can merrily skip from A to B, getting lost along the way, in trainers, instead trudging about, head down staring at mud, making sure you're going the most direct route to a stage/tent. Tending to your blisters with no where to sit down 

NFR

how often does the mud (not necessarily as bad as this year) occur? Are there actually dry years here and there or is it always a bit wet usually?

22 minutes ago, Michaels denim shorts said:

NFR

I was a bit shocked with the mud when I first stepped off the coach, which sounds weird because it's so synonymous with Glastonbury but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so bad. But by Thursday I was totally cool with it-it was all part of the experience. Wouldn't say no to a hot, dry one in the future though!

22 minutes ago, rzwodezwo said:

how often does the mud (not necessarily as bad as this year) occur? Are there actually dry years here and there or is it always a bit wet usually?

That's the worst I've seen it. In 2011 there was monumental rain Wednesday & Friday, so it got muddy, but by Sunday it had been dry & hot long enough to be a hard spongey layer of mud & wearing trainers was fine again so it was a dry ish year too.

2013, 14 & 15 I didn't even bother taking wellies & have been relatively mud free so perhaps I've just been spoilt