Will you be returning next year?

PurpleFire

Will you return to Glastonbury Festival in 2017  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Will you return to Glastonbury Festival (Tickets Aside) in 2017?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So long as I am able to get to get a ticket I will absolutely be going back. I suspect demand for tickets next year will drop slightly but it will still sell out almost straight away.

We got into SE Corner straight away on the Friday, probably 45 mins after the headliners finished. Surprised to read that there was queueing, I thought it was quite (except at Block 9 which seemed full).

I struggled a bit on the Saturday but Friday was up there with one of my best ever days, wasn't even the bands particularly (I saw Muse. Again.), everything just sort of fell into place. 

I was less enthusiastic this time last year  I must say. Ended up in Pink 49 despite wanting to camp in Cockmills. The trek across there and back was the worst one I've ever done, even with a Juggernaut trolley. Lucky that I went down Thursday and missed the queues.

If the ticket gods are kind, we'll be there.

Even parking in Orange after circumnavigating Blue parking chaos after 3 hours stationary on Tuesday night and walking back and forth across to camp in Big Ground didn't kill the magic. 

The mud WAS a pain, but was prepared for that, and there seemed less rudely boisterous ram roading hand holding groups this year (maybe because of the mud).

Generally seemed a pretty happy festival going crowd this year. 

I love the place but I'm yet to decide if I'll try for tickets again. The mud tired me out so much this year that I didn't bother with much of the late night stuff which is usually the best bit about the whole Festival. But then I know I'll have severe fomo if I don't bother next year.

If not, I'll be going to more european festivals I think. 

The worst traffic jam I've ever had the misfortune to be subjected to. 26 hours, two coaches and an endless trudge through the quagmire in the dark. Apocalyptic rain on Saturday morning. Nigh on impossible and impassable to get from one stage to another. Overcrowded. Cold. Wet. Many crushes getting into and out of performances. The mud. The endless, intolerable mud. The slow, exhausting slog through more mud to get out on a miserable Monday morning.

Will I be back? Of course I fucking will. It's the best experience on earth.

15 hours ago, SarahLu said:

As a first timer this year I'm really interested to read this thread.  I had an amazing time and loved so much about the experience but also felt  worn out by the end of it due to the things already mentioned.  I'm interested to see someone say there was plenty of room in the campsites.  We set off at 6am (before we heard about the announcement to stay at home), didn't get on site until about 4pm (due to the queues) and had planned to go to Paines but could only find a spot in Baileys and even that was tight (we only had 1 4 man tent).  The queuing situation was the same for everyone so I can't understand how so many people had already got on site.  Campsite toilets were quite far away (in the next field) and through a massive muddy bog which was a nightmare first thing in a morning - getting to the toilet, queuing and getting back to the tent was a half hour round trip, which put me off wanting to drink too much or do anything else because the thought of dealing with that the next morning was too depressing!  Will definitely attempt to camp somewhere else next time, but not sure where.  

Echo what others have said about SE corner.  Luckily we went Weds night and had a great time but couldn't get in Friday and didn't try again after that as the slog was too long to risk being turned away.  Is it normally that bad? 

Set off home Sunday after Coldplay and by the time we had got back to our car park (pink 55) and queued to get out it was gone 4am and we finally got home around 9am!  Despite all this I would go again, but my other half is not so sure.  He felt the queues getting in and out and inability to get in to many places we attempted to due to crowds outweighed the overall cost of the festival.  I'd like to convince him otherwise but as first timers we are not sure how much of these things were due to the weather and what is the norm..

I think it's hard when to your first visit, it was my fourth, I know the site very well now which helps.

I remember the first years arrival and just being so overwhelmed and having no idea where I was or how to find a good place to camp, stewards are helpful but for many of them it's their first year as well these days I find myself politely interjecting if I hear conversations about how to get to certain places where the directions are slightly off.

Having been several times, I felt no pressure to go to any particular area, as I didn't feel the constant pressure of 'OMFG I HAVEN'T BEEN TO (insert obscure venue here)' or experience the obligatory fun of the se corner.

So for me I would say that the more you go, the more enjoyable it is, although I can see from the forum that some people have made fair comments about 'maxing out' and the benefits of taking a few years off.

Of course, what I meant to say was, the whole thing is shit, definately don't go again, that way I can hopefully keep getting tickets :lol:.

Edited by BrokenDown

1 hour ago, TomViolence said:

there wasn't a single moment where I wished I wasn't there. Until that happens, I'll keep attending.

Exactly this. If the rain/mud gets too much, seek refuge in a bar or something. Would much rather be drinking in a tent in Glastonbury when its pissing rain outside than anywhere else in the world. 

15 hours ago, SarahLu said:

As a first timer this year I'm really interested to read this thread.  I had an amazing time and loved so much about the experience but also felt  worn out by the end of it due to the things already mentioned.  I'm interested to see someone say there was plenty of room in the campsites.  We set off at 6am (before we heard about the announcement to stay at home), didn't get on site until about 4pm (due to the queues) and had planned to go to Paines but could only find a spot in Baileys and even that was tight (we only had 1 4 man tent).  The queuing situation was the same for everyone so I can't understand how so many people had already got on site.  Campsite toilets were quite far away (in the next field) and through a massive muddy bog which was a nightmare first thing in a morning - getting to the toilet, queuing and getting back to the tent was a half hour round trip, which put me off wanting to drink too much or do anything else because the thought of dealing with that the next morning was too depressing!  Will definitely attempt to camp somewhere else next time, but not sure where.  

Echo what others have said about SE corner.  Luckily we went Weds night and had a great time but couldn't get in Friday and didn't try again after that as the slog was too long to risk being turned away.  Is it normally that bad? 

Set off home Sunday after Coldplay and by the time we had got back to our car park (pink 55) and queued to get out it was gone 4am and we finally got home around 9am!  Despite all this I would go again, but my other half is not so sure.  He felt the queues getting in and out and inability to get in to many places we attempted to due to crowds outweighed the overall cost of the festival.  I'd like to convince him otherwise but as first timers we are not sure how much of these things were due to the weather and what is the norm..

I was overwhelmed on my first Glasto. You're never likely to get exactly where you wanted to camp on your first visit - we've been 4 times in a row no so thankfully we know where toilets are situated etc so now we know where abouts to head to, and where to go that's still near toilets if it's full. 

Dont give up - nice weather next year and you'll be able to do everything you wanted to do this year. The mud slows everyone down and means you have to be much more tactical with where you stand and who you see!

I'm now 58 years old. My wife has one of those apps that tracks the distance you walk. It appears we did 42 miles over the 5 days through all the mud and slop. I woke up yesterday morning feeling like I'd run a marathon, which I suppose we sort of did.

Will we be back next year? Of course we will - tickets permitting. A little less mud would be nice though.

8 minutes ago, elias said:

I'm now 58 years old. My wife has one of those apps that tracks the distance you walk. It appears we did 42 miles over the 5 days through all the mud and slop. I woke up yesterday morning feeling like I'd run a marathon, which I suppose we sort of did.

Will we be back next year? Of course we will - tickets permitting. A little less mud would be nice though.

We did an avg of around 18 miles a day. Over 150,000 steps since the Wednesday !

crazy. 

Yes I will be back next year, for me the place is a bit like a Mecca, I have to get there each year to reset my brain and remind myself that the world is still an OK place.

That being said, there are some things about the festival that I wish would change. 

Firstly, Arcadia. Yes, it looks bloody cool, I'm not disputing it. But for me, it's just not Glastonbury. It's too dark, too ravey, and seems to attract a really shit crowd. Not saying everyone who goes there is shit but it's one of the places on site where I do encounter a lot of dickheads. Plus, the mud situation there was unbearable, as it is every time it rains. One friend had a panic attack during Andy C because people were constantly pushing into her and she was stuck in the mud. My other friend sprained her ankle for the same reason.

The other thing is Shangrila. I bloody hate it. It's too much like organised fun, and again, too crowded, too muddy & chaotic. I find that people, when put in that situation late at night and under the influence, can become quite pushy & inconsiderate.

I'm not disputing that the concept is very cool - I go there in the day time to have a browse and I like what they're trying to do. But the execution of it makes it a completely unenjoyable experience. 

For me, the magic of Glastonbury is about the festival's ethos. The green element, the magic of the location, the whole feeling of love and support of one another. And of course, the music. 

If I want a festival where I can just rave the night away, there's Creamfields and the like. That's not what I want from Glastonbury, and it never used to be like that.

Perhaps I'm just still craving the magic of my first few times. In 2007, my first year, there was no Arcadia, Park, or Shangrila.

And the thing I loved so much about that experience was the ability to simply wander around after dark, and happen upon a random bar playing tunes with people dancing in the rain, or coming across the bandstand with a whole crowd of people with kazoos humming theme tunes to game shows. It was all truly random, and totally magic for me. 

The stone circle was full of hippies playing bongos, people chatting, fires and the like. Now it's a place for getting whatever drugs you need.

This year, and for the past few years, I'm finding it way too messy and ravey, a bit of a darker element at night (and I'm not talking about lack of sunlight!) and I am having fewer and fewer random experiences and find myself getting frustrated with the constant bottle necks.

I suppose because Shangrila and Arcadia are considered to be the late night areas, people just flock there after the headliners, which makes that corner of the site unbearable for me.

In summary, for me, it's all getting a bit too messy and ravey. Don't get me wrong, I love to get a bit high myself, but it's all about setting, and I dunno, the constant boom boom tick tick that's so prevalent now (rather than just sporadically through the festival) adds a ravey, messy element, that detracts from the festival's ethos for me.

I just miss being able to bimble around without hearing constant rave tunes, and getting caught in crowds of fucked people.

Day times still a-ok for me, just more crowded than I've ever experienced before.

I'll still keep going and hope they just cut down on all the clubby stuff, bring back Lost Vagueness and get shot of Arcadia. Will it ever happen??

Edited by Skoo

I haven't stopped since I got home from the festival.  We got in late Monday, watched GoT and crashed.  My daughter is in the middle of moving house, so I spent yesterday helping with that and this morning I've been doing my post glasto cleanup in between cuppas and reading the post-fest threads here.  Not had a chance to put any iplayer stuff on, til Coldplay while I was beavering away earlier and the viola beach bit gave me my first post festival tears.  

Of course I'll be back.  If I get to spend the better part of a week surrounded by brilliant, happy people like that next year it would be a privilege.  Thank you all for your company :D 

On 6/27/2016 at 4:36 PM, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I felt the average age of the crowd seemed younger this year. Obviously the festival  needs people of all generations to keep the right dynamic. 

I noticed there seemed to be a lot more people openly doing cocaine during the festival too. 

Can you blame them in those conditions - need all the stimulants they can get their hands on. 

I resolved after '07 that I'd only do one more muddy one before retiring.  Such nonsense. I can do that again if I have to.  My footwear gave up before my legs and, dare I say it, I actually feel better for it..

Plus I'm sitting here craving a jerk wrap.  I can wait a year if I have to but it has to be one of those really good ones.  Wish I could remember the name of the place.  I ate there twice.  Would have been 3 times but dead wellies.