Will you be returning next year?

PurpleFire

Will you return to Glastonbury Festival in 2017  

528 members have voted

1. 1. Will you return to Glastonbury Festival (Tickets Aside) in 2017?

• Yes
    • No

Although it was such a struggle this year with the mud and crowd control issues, I'll definitely be trying again for tickets come T-day.

Absolute worst thing that happened though was my partner saw someone in the next cubicle using heroin in the long drops at lower mead. Really put a dampener on things that Saturday. Never expect that kind of thing at Glastonbury :unsure:

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Thought the SE corner lost its magic in 2011. Been old hat for a while now. Same for Arcadia. Throw in foot deep mud. No thanks.

Lots of other options out there though.

I enjoyed Glasto Latino this year and had a brilliant night in the Back of Beyond but I agree that Shangri La, Block 9 and Arcadia in particular could do with a complete overhaul.

Went into the naughty corner on Saturday night at around 2AM thinking it wouldn't be that crowded but it was absolutely packed - queues every where and it generally wasn't worth my time so I sacked it off. I mainly spent my late nights at the Circus Fields and watched some fire shows, cabaret and other stuff. Wasn't as crowded and still felt like I was having a brilliant night.

My ninth and my best one. I went early Friday so missed the carnage getting in, and even though the mud was crazy, I didn't let it stop me getting around. I did 150k steps in 3 days on my iPhone app but I think that includes dancing. I danced a lot. Wish I was still there and I'll 100% be back. I thought the crowds were fine and it definitely felt magical for me.

This was my 12th one, but only the second I've done since 2010 due to having kids. I last went in 2014 and came back unsure if I'd go again.

This time I've come back & wish I was still there - it was one of the greats for me, an absolutely superb weekend. Yes the conditions were difficult, and I found it a lot harder going than when I was last there with conditions that bad (07) but I found the atmosphere to be generally good and the music was wonderful. Saturday in particular was amazing and that was supposed to be my weakest day!

We seemed to get lucky with the travel as well which helped - turned up at 10pm on the weds eve & were parked in e11 an hour later; got in car at 11am this morning & were on the road 40 minutes later.

Regarding the food prices I seemed to live off the 'food for a fiver' deals, there were some pretty good options out there if you looked for them! 

So in summary, I will definitely be trying my luck on T day in October!

Edited by mario man

We will definitely be going back. The mud was extremely hard work at times and exhausting. Also the queues at SE corner were ridiculous, really hope they do something about it next time. But... it's glastonbury and I still love it even though I am happy to be in a clean, mud free home this evening.

The mud made it very hard to enjoy the rest of the festival, so much energy was spent getting from stage to stage, stopping and enjoying the other bits became more difficult.  It also put a curb on a number of acts I wanted to see, heading up to Park from West Holts was just too draining to make it enjoyable.

My main problem this year was with the lacklustre over all line up.

However I had a good time and will be trying to get tickets come the time to get tickets.  I hope that the Eavii make some changes to how they handle and prepare for mud.  No idea what they will do about traffic, as a local it is very annoying.

Only bonus was that I got the chance to enjoy having a 4WD car for the first time (got it in November expecting snow...:) )

Much as I had a mostly great time this year, it shall be my last. I said this last time too and got sucked back in for one more, but this time I mean it! :D It's just too big with too many people, all a bit of a hassle getting too and from, and costs a fortune. I shall be sticking with smaller festivals from now on.

On 26/06/2016 at 10:29 PM, PurpleFire said:

After all the trails and tribulations of this year, has anyone been beaten, broken or frustrated enough to not return in 2017?

For me and guessing like many you cannot miss it but a lot needs to change.

1. South East corner, is just a mess and it cannot cope with the demand! I went three years ago and remember walking past the Pyramid stage at six in the morning with not a sole about it was like a ghost town...this year I was walking in droves after the nightlight finished. It's too big for its boots.

2. I know the weather played its part on the parking and the ques this year but more and more are turning up on Wednesday and it's the root cause of the problem. They need to do, like they do with the coaches and have Wednesday Thursday tickets.

3. Last point would be maybe even lower the capacity. I know demand is there and more people would be disapointed and maybe even me again like 2015 but this year it seemed very unsafe and very poorly organised from a security and risk point of view. But again it's down to the weather and it's something that cannot be helped.

Fingers crossed for next year, had a brilliant 5 days, had to come on early after falling ill, maybe food poisoning but I got engaged on Wednesday at the top of the hill by the sign and it was truely magical!

Love to all! 

Totally agree with all of this. They should never have increased the capacity a few years back. It's just made queuing and crowding a nightmare in a lot of places which didn't happen as often before. Again I'd rather miss out on a ticket once in a while but have numbers back to pre 2013 or whenever it was they increased capacity.

I always went up to the naughty corner every night in the past but stayed away until Sunday because of the overcrowding. Went down about 9pm til 4am and had a great time but only because so many people left the site early.

Also agree on having Wednesday and Thursday tickets. I fondly remember just being able to rock up on Wednesday and have the whole place to yourself but those days are in the past and whilst I know it was down to the muddy conditions this year I would have rather arived on Thursday and not had to have been on the coach for 12 hours then been able to set up camp in daylight.

Still had the time of my life but the festival needs to have a good think about this kind of thing.

Massive congratulations on your engagement!!

This year was my second, 2015 being my first.

I'm not a veteran or as experienced as many efesters here, but what i can say is that the mud situation clearly hampered things, mainly the ability to navigate from one stage to another or having the chance to just chill on the grass at Williams Green for instance.

Yes, it was lovely weather last year, bar the odd rain shower, and that year was very special for me, however I still need to go again next year. Now that I have found something I can truly say i feel connected to it would be unthinkable not to go.

I went this year with one of my mates, this being his first, he also loved it and hadn't experienced the loveliness of a sunny dry ground day !!!!

Love to all. :D

11 hours ago, Gashead86 said:

I really hope that Mr Eavis does not listen to any calls for a reduced capacity! 

All well and good for you people who have just got home to say that! Spare a thought for those of us who have been unable to get a ticket for the last two years! Even at the current capacity.

To be honest, hearing people say they are done with the festival is good news for me. With a little luck I will be able to get a ticket once again after two years of forced absence! 

It's just too busy though and you can't get to things like you used to. I'd still risk not getting a ticket to make the experience a LOT more enjoyable and actually be able to see things I wanted to rather than spending hours in queues. I had a 3 year break because of this and while I had a brilliant time at the best place on earth and will be trying for tickets next year the crowding is just downright dangerous at times. Good luck with tickets next year though :)

19 hours ago, HattersBoy said:

Can the weather get any worse? 

It was pretty good for the festival itself!

My first one in 2005 had a biblical thunderstorm which flooded the site and washed away a load of tents and 2007 it pretty much pissed it down for 5 days so yes it can!! I didnt bother trying for a ticket in 2008 as got washed our of 3 festivals the year before. 

Despite the mud I'm so glad the festival was this weekend and not the weekend before.

Glad you had a brilliant time :)

The mud definitely made it hard work, and by Saturday afternoon we were talking about potentially giving it a rest next year, and spending the time/money on a smaller festival and/or a holiday instead.

Come Sunday night, after a great double-hit of PJ Harvey and Coldplay (plus a bunch of rum), we were musing about giving it another year – as our logic don't, it's not like the conditions could be any worse, right?

9 hours ago, Finding leto14 said:

Can we all make a pact please and never complain about 2010 again?

2010 is my favourite Glastonbury. All of mine have been great though.

Not. Go. Back. Hmm. Are you mad?!?! I'd have stayed if they'd let me. I could easily do a couple more weeks before the alcohol and diet of toasties ruined me.

I definitely intend to go back next year - I'd like to make it 10 in a row for one thing. Had a great time this year, though it was really hard work at times with the mud. The EU referendum result didn't really help my mood either, so I can't say it was my best ever Glasto experience. My girlfriend on the other hand has already said she doesn't want to go again next year (this was her third). I'm sure I'll be able to persuade her otherwise come October - but ye, with the Wednesday traffic and the ground conditions, I imagine she won't be the only person put off.

This was my 5th Glastonbury and probably my least favourite. Still had a great time, just felt like something was missing.

Going to try again for tickets in October but will try to get the coach package. The driving to and from was a killer this year. If successful, might not take as much booze too. 

I don't think I'd be too bothered if I missed out on tickets this time though. Like nikkic said, maybe a few years away will reignite the spark.

Edited by AmyShambles

Yep, will be returning for sure.  Hard work getting around the site due to the mud - I was actually hoping for more rain as it makes it easier getting around when muddy.  I'm sure the traffic chaos must be high on the agenda in the post festival wash up, that does need looking at however I'm not sure what solution there is, it's working farm land after all.

Someone mentioned pinch points, Other/Pyramid/Silver Hayes was particularly horrendous this year, anyone know what happened to the supposed extra gap in Silver Hayes (as shown on the map)?  Why was this not open?

14 hours ago, DTichborne said:

Intriguing!  Thursday was the one and only day that I was able to downgrade from wellies to boots.  I'm surprised so few people did it.  So much nicer and more comfortable.

Haha, I put my boots on Thursday and immediately had the soul ripped of them by the first bit of mud. Wellies all the way after that, which I ha duly left outside the tent on Friday (?) night so in the morning they were literally full of water.

I will be trying again next year, I found the atmosphere to be largely good, I think the hard conditions made some people trtchy though.

To be honest, I enjoyed it more, the mud physically made me slow down, in the past I'm guilty of running round like a maniac trying to cram as much in as possible.

My group all said before we went that we probably would give next year a miss, but by Sunday night we were talking about planning for ticket day!

I think I need a break and to do something smaller with the kids.. just wrote this summary for my mates..

without the mud this could have been completely different though.

I did have a good time and when its not muddy its great- Georgia (age 3) just took it all in her stride, she was brilliant considering.

BUT there are plently of other festival options that don't involve all of the hard work that we endured this year.

the horrific traffic getting there - stand still. people waiting on roads for over 20 hours 

the mud - it was ruined as soon as we got there and it was the really thick sticky stuff - i fell in in twice trying to lift the front of the pram to get us through. you wouldn't believe it was a generally dry glastonbury in terms of rain.

Getting back from muse was hellish - 3 of us with 2 prams - through mud, drunk people in the dark - we got back after 2am!! i didnt sleep very well that night at all and woke up feeling really anxious and wanting to go home. I sorted myself out with some vodka though and was ok by afternoon. I couldn't go to the pyramid for another headliner after that though.

missed quite a few things i wanted to see as it would have just been to hard to get there.

Made a mission to get to band of horses on my own with the pram and getting from other stage to john peel was the most physically demanding thing I have ever done - I was broken by the time I got there. A few people help push when you get stuck but most just look at you and think - why would you bring a kid. Someone actually said to us on friday night " i don't agree with that"!!! she was about 18....

Trying to get to the other stage when a band had just finished with a pram was virtually impossible - I felt like John Snow as Boltons army began their attack!

The campervan fields were so churned up that no one was getting off with a tractor so we were told we had to queue for tractors - we got up at 5am to queue-  we got off site about 12. The queue behind us looked about 12 hours long.

I had a good time but it shouldn't have to come at that cost!! It shouldn't have to be so hard to enjoy yourself.

I think I will try a European festival next year as you have more chance of good weather.

my 3 highlights - getting on stage and on TV for the bowie singalong! ( I saw 6 other goblin kings too)

Spanish sahara - Foals - with the sun going down at the pyramid.

Band of horses - Great Salt lake - got myself right to the front.

Edited by gorfield

It was my 7th and up to Sunday morning was going to be my last ever. I had D and V from Wednesday night until yesterday and with the mud and rain for the first time Glastonbury had broken me. Working for FMS has been my life at the festival. I live , sleep and talk about the festival every single day. 

What has made me come back. Well ELO, Beck, who I have never listened to before and the amazing set by Coldplay. I am a massive Earth Wind and Fire but the set Coldplay put on was the best visually I have ever seen and having Barry Gibb on stage singing the song my Dad had at his funeral was just the best.

ps it's also a great way to lose weight, I lost half a stone!

See you all again for some more madness next year x

Edited by Earthwindandfire2205

I certainly will be it was a blast queues didn't bother me nor did the mud, the issues with south east corner did a bit block 9 Friday night was a nightmare really missed most of all that because it put me of on the Friday. Was my first time and it was much better than expected.

I'll be back!

sure it was a slog! nearly all they acts I saw nailed it and a few surprises, mostly all the people I met were lovely and the atmosphere on the whole was really friendly.

Just had to remind myself that this is the place I obsess about for so long during the year, the highs and lows of ticket day, the endless discussions on here, the excitement of the announcements and the build up as the festival approaches.

that little reminder helped when the legs and feet were sore or I was stuck in a queue.

roll on next year, the magic is still there

12 hours ago, Helsbels said:

It's just too busy though and you can't get to things like you used to. I'd still risk not getting a ticket to make the experience a LOT more enjoyable and actually be able to see things I wanted to rather than spending hours in queues. I had a 3 year break because of this and while I had a brilliant time at the best place on earth and will be trying for tickets next year the crowding is just downright dangerous at times. Good luck with tickets next year though :)

But selling fewer tickets means less money for the festival which means less things happening. Which means more crowding.

The real issue is having things on that are huge draws without other things programmed against them. The late night area queue system works against them when people assume that means it's the only place with late night stuff. When loads is happening at Silver Hayes, Park, etc.

I do think they could do more with the theatre and circus fields, get them running until 4am or so and keep more of the venues open. Mavericks is great but Cabaret and Astrolable could easily host late night shows too.