Madabout G

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Yokel Again said:

They were great - sounded fantastic.

However the past few years of legends has changed the crowd expectation. It seems the majority want cheese now (as per original poster). 

Imagine if Jonny Cash were still alive and did it as in 1994, everyone would probably be complaining about that if it wasn't camp. Someone mentioned Dylan - would also bomb as people want some razzamataz...

I don't really get why?

Cause they don't recognise the arbitrary distinction you're imposing between 'cheese' and non-cheese music?

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Got it in my head that it's gonna be Phil Collins next year - not sure if I've pulled that out of my arse or if it's something I've seen (most likely on here)

It was in here yeah.

Baz Gibb was superb. Really superb, so yeah. Either or.

Didnt bother with ELO. Shouldve been in the Acoustic or something. Cant think of a more overrated band. CSN maybe. 

Edited by The Nal

ELO too straight for that broad a booking. I thought they sounded *flawless* and that a subdued, wet and exhausted crowd didn't help them. Nor did Lynne's stage patter which makes Neil Young seem verbose by comparison. Lot of "oh I know this one, too" at their set with vast maj just waiting for Blue Sky, which incidentally nearly made me weep. Sounded glorious towards the coda.

I expect ELO will not exist as an entity for very long, thus getting them when you can was probably the biggest factor. Jeff Lynne doesn't need the money or publicity, he tends to be pretty flighty with his projects. I would say that vocally he was amazing, and though I would love to see Elton I fear his voice wouldn't cut it (or Macca for that matter). I would love to see Meatloaf, and fear he may not be performing for much longer. Still reckon Queen would be a good shout, and definitely Bee Gees. Get ABBA to reform?

Are people seriously considering Phil Collins? His output was terrible.collins_nonce1.jpg

Barry Gibb, Elton John, Billy Joel or The Jacksons would all be good for the slot. The latter would be incredible but I imagine the former is a shoe-in after how he went down at Coldplay.

Also, Bob Dylan is terrible live and would imagine he'd be more inclined to headline than play the legend slot.