Madabout G

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 27/06/2016 at 11:37 AM, jparx said:

I still want to see Dylan play that slot. Probably won't happen, but that would be my choice. 

Far too cool for the legends spot.

That's why Manilow "type" acts are perfect. Massive artist but more cheese than cheddar.

Cher a good choice too I think!

On 19/07/2016 at 1:07 AM, MilkyJoe said:

Really? While the term 'legend' can be very subjective, for me the clue is in the name...

I'd love to see Cat Stephens or Aretha Franklin in the slot personally.

Others of the top of my head would be:

Carole King

Chuck Berry

Little Richard

Garth Brooks?

Ry Cooder

Totally missing the point of the thread.

The act has got to be world class but also very cheesy. Songs that are guilty pleasures that we can all have a good old singalong too on a Sunday afternoon.

Thats why it's so hard to fill now.

On 26/06/2016 at 7:54 PM, Madabout G said:

The legends spot has become one of the biggest, most difficult and most important spots to fill at Glasto. 

For me...... ELO weren't a good choice. 

A great band, yes. 

A classic band, yes. 

A Glastonbury band, yes. 

BUT...... not a "legends slot"

The legends slot has to have an element of superstardom with a mix of cheese. 

Look at the legends slot history......

its VERY difficult to think of suitable acts. And even more difficult to convince the potential acts to agree,' knowing' that it's maybe a bit of a cheesy slot!

That said, the exposure is so massive now I'm sure very few would decline the opportunity. 

I can't believe Barry Manilow hasn't been approached! (Maybe he has. In fact I'm sure he has! How perfect would he be?!"

TOTALLY agree!

ELO were a decent enough choice for Glasto, but not for this spot.

The crowd has grown to expect cheesiness on a Sunday teatime. Guilty pleasures and a great way to spend a Sunday afternoon, singing and dancing to classic tunes! Acts that are so uncool, they're cool!!

The Osmonds a great shout. Elton far too big a star in my opinion. He's an evening headliner without doubt.

Kylie not a bad shout and way overdue an appearance.

2 hours ago, Monkey Allen said:

Totally missing the point of the thread.

The act has got to be world class but also very cheesy. Songs that are guilty pleasures that we can all have a good old singalong too on a Sunday afternoon.

Thats why it's so hard to fill now.

Bollocks!

with the greatest respect...

Who ever said the Sunday teatime slot had to be cheesy or is that your own personal wish?

ELO

Johnny Cash

Brian Wilson

Ray Davies

Paul Simon

Kenny Rogers

James Brown

I don't see much cheese there Ser, 

Okay there are certain acts that could be viewed as a little cheesy such as Dolly and Lionel but again that's entirely subjective. It's by no means a prerequisite to being booked for what has pretty much become the 4th headliner. A good old singalong as you put it however is. I'm sure they won't run out of names any time soon.

Smokey Robinson

Billy Joel

George Michael

Queen

I'll even give you a little bit of cheese and throw in Kylie Minogue and Madonna!:)

Shaun.

Looking for a spectacular piece of cheese, how about The Monkees?

Must admit I thought they had all passed away or no longer touring, but recent ad for a Monkees bio on radio made me google them and they are apparently still touring as a trio!

The singalong would be stupendous!

On 28 July 2016 at 4:28 PM, MilkyJoe said:

Bollocks!

with the greatest respect...

Who ever said the Sunday teatime slot had to be cheesy or is that your own personal wish?

ELO

Johnny Cash

Brian Wilson

Ray Davies

Paul Simon

Kenny Rogers

James Brown

I don't see much cheese there Ser, 

Okay there are certain acts that could be viewed as a little cheesy such as Dolly and Lionel but again that's entirely subjective. It's by no means a prerequisite to being booked for what has pretty much become the 4th headliner. A good old singalong as you put it however is. I'm sure they won't run out of names any time soon.

Smokey Robinson

Billy Joel

George Michael

Queen

I'll even give you a little bit of cheese and throw in Kylie Minogue and Madonna!:)

Shaun.

I get what Monkey is saying. 

The Sunday slot has GROWN into the "cheesy slot" (look at the last few years). The crowd expects a mixture of superstardom with a hint of cheddar!

another shout.....Rod Stewart x

18 hours ago, Harry49 said:

Looking for a spectacular piece of cheese, how about The Monkees?

Must admit I thought they had all passed away or no longer touring, but recent ad for a Monkees bio on radio made me google them and they are apparently still touring as a trio!

The singalong would be stupendous!

I saw the Monkees last year headlining Moseley Folk Festival, had a blast, hugely entertaining. Only 2 of the original lineup were there though. Great shout for the slot, you have my support sir! :D

28 minutes ago, Jenny Bucket said:

I get what Monkey is saying. 

The Sunday slot has GROWN into the "cheesy slot" (look at the last few years). The crowd expects a mixture of superstardom with a hint of cheddar!

another shout.....Rod Stewart x

Yep I see what he is saying too but the cheesy acts can pretty much be counted on the fingers of one hand. There just happened to be 2 in as row and then this year it was ELO. I think there is room for cheese granted but it certainly hasn't 'grown' into a cheesy slot.

I was surprised when I found out it was going to be ELO doing the legend's slot this year, when I heard Art Garfunkel was on the bill I wondered if it'd be him. 

Drawing a blank for people suitable right now, doubt that anyone'll do the slot more than once. Ah, I'll have a stab at Sting, seeing as the slot has typically been solo artists and many of them have been in hugely successful bands.that they're no longer involved in. It fits...  Maybe in another 10 or 15 years it'll be Richard Ashcroft or summat.  

I was surprised when I found out it was going to be ELO doing the legend's slot this year, when I heard Art Garfunkel was on the bill I wondered if it'd be him. 

Drawing a blank for people suitable right now, doubt that anyone'll do the slot more than once. Ah, I'll have a stab at Sting, seeing as the slot has typically been solo artists and many of them have been in hugely successful bands.that they're no longer involved in. It fits...  Maybe in another 10 or 15 years it'll be Richard Ashcroft or summat.  

On 30/07/2016 at 7:03 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

Sorry - the rennet-iest performer ever to do the Legends Slot was Johnny Cash doing the first one in 1994.

Things like A Boy Named Sue are far more fromage-based than anything Lionel Richie played.

Just catching up here after real life intervened on my efestsworld time...

When doing that 'delving into a famous / lauded / whatfuckingever artist you've never listened to' thing, I was fucking dismayed at the amount of utterly coagulated casein spewed out by Cash in the 70s.