Madabout G

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I do yeah. Cheesy, corny, whatever. Its out there!

I deliberately used corny back there - excessively sentimental, mawkish - as opposed to 'cheesy', which for me seems to be more a contextual thing, the music enjoyed at Abigail's Party-style gatherings.

I dunno - I don't feel that strongly about this, but it is interesting seeing ELO regarded as some sort of return to authenticity when for plenty of people they absolutely embody mid-seventies crimplene, big hair and ersatz chintz.

Ultimately, no matter how valid and substantial and bona fide you think your favourite music is there's always gonna be some Piero Scaruffi type laughing up his sleeve at you because it isn't as nails as Swans or Ligeti or Albert Ayler or Scriabin or R Stevie Moore or what have you.

So it's best not to worry about it.

The ace music baby often gets thrown out with the bathwater as the vagaries of fashion come and go.  Plenty of acts that couldn't get arrested 10 - 15 years ago have come back to prove that they've still got the chops to entertain the crowds on a grand scale - and that's as true for Kenny Rogers, Lionel Richie and ELO as it is for, say, Chic or ZZ Top or Art Garfunkel.

I actually think the festival have got the right mix of old and new, of familiar comforting favourites and provocative strangeness, and just need to crack on regardless.

7 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

I like a bit of semantic chat. Where is the line between cheesy and irredeemably naff? I.e. between a Lionel and a Bryan Adams?

I have edited to add that I dont think Lionel is cheesy as he has the Commodores to fall back on - oh shit I've answered my own question.

As much as people won't want to admit it, to a large degree the line will be dependent on how long they've been around and more specifically, how long since they annoyed the music snobs.

Even if the Legends Slot was as an established part of the festival, and in it's current form in the mid 90s, Lionel would most definitely have been considered on the wrong side of it at that point in time as it was only a few years removed from his alleged crimes against music (ie his mid 80s output).

Just as Bryan Adams is considered on the wrong side of it right now. But if he's still around in another 20 odd years (and the festival still exists of course), he'll absolutely be considered a viable choice for it.

Cheesy does exist, even if an artist has been re-appraised.  I for one have a particular affection for ABBA - some really quite excellent arrangements and great melodies.  However, Dancing Queen is clearly cheesy, despite its many musical qualities.

I do agree that it's a largely subjective term and can change over time.

I agree that time is a factor in the Legends Slot.

I find it helps to think of it as the 'Artist Popular With A Previous Generation That's No Longer Hip Being Given A Slot At A Festival That They Wouldn't Normally Otherwise Get To Show What they Can Do To An Audience They Wouldn't Normally Perform To' slot.

29 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I agree that time is a factor in the Legends Slot.

I find it helps to think of it as the 'Artist Popular With A Previous Generation That's No Longer Hip Being Given A Slot At A Festival That They Wouldn't Normally Otherwise Get To Show What they Can Do To An Audience They Wouldn't Normally Perform To' slot.

Can we muse on the 'Has the Legends slot changed or have I?' question? 

I didnt turn up for Bassey or Tom Jones but was there singing along with Lionel/Dolly Parton. Lets gloss over the year I was too fked to see Johnny Cash.

4 hours ago, giantkatestacks said:

Can we muse on the 'Has the Legends slot changed or have I?' question? 

I didnt turn up for Bassey or Tom Jones but was there singing along with Lionel/Dolly Parton. Lets gloss over the year I was too fked to see Johnny Cash.

Let's not :)