Madabout G

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was half expecting ELO to be lacking in stage persona after their radio 2 comeback at Hyde park.. I was willing the sun to shine just as they struck up mr blue sky, but alas was not to be.

They did play good versions of the back catalogue though and it was a technically good gig, but atmosphere got lost up the back... Not the togetherness usually expected at a legend slot..

I think chic and elton should get a bite of the cherry... Also would like to see Paul carrack on the pyramid in afternoon.. He's done well on acoustic for last two  years - cracking version of the living years this time.

1 hour ago, sabre-toothed tart said:

http://www.musicweek.com/live/read/adele-coldplay-and-elo-glasto-performances-set-record-high-viewing-figures/065161

Interestingly ELO apparently got a bigger BBC audience than Lionel did last year.  Not quite sure how they calculate the figures though.

Those figures come from BARB which produces all UK TV viewing data - it's calculated using set top boxes in a selection of homes across the country

54 minutes ago, Finding leto14 said:

So...... According to the ever reliable sun newspaper it is Diana Ross....

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1378055/diana-ross-to-perform-at-next-years-glastonbury-according-to-beegee-barry-gibb/

couldn't complain about that!

also if the article's right it looks like right Right Bazza will be there also, just not in the legend slot. gotta say, after watching a video of him appearing with Coldplay, my desire to see him live has gone down somewhat... it didn't sound good at all, but i wouldn't be against him appearing somewhere on the lineup. but the legend slot may be a big ask for somebody who's vocal ability is so clearly limited these days

Edited by FloorFiller

On 30/06/2016 at 1:53 PM, Nobody Interesting said:

Art Garfunkel deserves the slot just because he was stunningly brilliant in the Accoustic tent.

I did think though that Diana Ross was as good as signed up for next year.

I am sorry but i was utterly miserable at Art Garfunkel..... i only lasted 4 songs.

granted i was tired and the old knees were causing me grief.. but the big numbers (and they are BIG numbers) were karaoke and he couldnt hold a tune in a bucket for the lesser known...

i found it all too sad.. a little like asking Bobby Charlton to put his boots back on (although that wouldnt have been a bad thing last week)

and he is as big a cock as Paul Simon btw.

16 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If you think Diana Ross will pull as big a crowd as The Stones, you obviously need to lay off your leftover Glastonbury stash.

sorry, did i say The Stones...? i meant Two Door Cinema Club... (i hadnt had my coffee)

the 2 biggest crowds over the last 3 festivals though have probably been Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie.. Diana Ross is a much bigger name than either. It would be stupid packed..

1 minute ago, BlueDaze said:

sorry, did i say The Stones...? i meant Two Door Cinema Club... (i hadnt had my coffee)

the 2 biggest crowds over the last 3 festivals though have probably been Dolly Parton and Lionel Richie.. Diana Ross is a much bigger name than either. It would be stupid packed..

I'm not convinced she is.  Going off the incredibly unscientific and unregionalised method of Twitter followers, we have:

Dolly Parton: 3.8M

Lionel Ritchie: 258K

Diana Ross: 46.2K

So, she appears to be 2 orders of magnitude less interesting than Dolly on that basis.

Diana won't pull quite as ginormous a crowd as both Dolly and Lionel imo. they're both huge pop culture icons with a lot of cheese and showbiz about them, whereas Diana is known strictly for her (albeit, fantastic) music. no oversized fake tits or hilarious rich tea punned flags in the crowd watching her - harkens back more to the pre-Dolly and Lionel legend slot imo. i'll be there for sure

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Diana won't pull quite as ginormous a crowd as both Dolly and Lionel imo. they're both huge pop culture icons with a lot of cheese and showbiz about them, whereas Diana is known strictly for her (albeit, fantastic) music. no oversized fake tits or hilarious rich tea punned flags in the crowd watching her - harkens back more to the pre-Dolly and Lionel legend slot imo. i'll be there for sure

You make her sound like she's known for her songwriting, rather than good fortune and good taste in choosing songs.

5 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You make her sound like she's known for her songwriting, rather than good fortune and good taste in choosing songs.

i didn't think so? more just that there's no silly gimmicks etc about her - just a great voice and great songs