Madabout G

12 hours ago, Winslow Leach said:

I actually thought Madness came closest to capturing the same good time, singalong party vibe of Dolly and Lionel this year. 

Bazza G for 2017, obviously. Few things have ever made more sense to me.

Yeah the last 30 or so of Madness was great. Volume was very low though. Needed to be closer to the stage.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with the general consensus here that ELO was enjoyable but lacked some of the qualities I'd associate with the "legends slot" (for one thing there felt like significantly less anticipation for it around the site). I suspect it was used as a sell to get them to sign up to it, otherwise they probably wouldn't have made a big play on it being the "legends slot."

Agree it's hard for them to find people for it; Elton about the best I can think of but he might (understandably) consider himself more of a headliner still. Rod Stewart might be more realistic

I enjoyed ELO much more than I expected to. 

I knew quite a few tunes and it was a good set. Good performances, but not the "party" other acts could have been.

I wasn't bothered by them previously, but they gained a fan.

Barry Gibb isn't just the best choice for next year... he is the ONLY choice!!

20 minutes ago, oneoftherest said:

Any oustide picks for Legends slot next year? Basically anything that isn't Elton or Barry Manilow

I don't care if plenty people think he's not well known enough (in this country anyway). I'm voting for Bob Seger as being the perfect candidate.

There have been articles where Lionel Richie and Nile Rodgers have stated they've been trying to get Diana Ross to play. That's worth keeping an eye on.

Whoever it is though; it's clear that the future metric for Sunday legends should not be "how many classic tunes have they got?" but "how many times can they say something meaningless to the crowd?". Jeff made FOOLS out of those who said he only had one recognisable tune, only for the verdict to come back that he actually had too many tunes so he had no time to say "how are you doing Glastonbury?" a dozen times. :lol:

I felt a bit sorry for Jeff. The weather didn't do him any favours and his gig at the O2 earlier on this year was much, much better.

On the flip side, he's not much of a talker and if anyone was expecting world class banter in between songs then he was never going to deliver. It'd be a shame to turn the legends slot into an exclusively "vegas" style slot. Dolly, Lionel etc are more than welcome but there are plenty of other great acts who don't fit that mold.

35 minutes ago, zico martin said:

probably our group tbh!

It was good back there. We were in between the tree and ice cream van/long drops

Just the right balance between people around to have a crack with but enough room to dance wildly without bothering anyone  (too much)

Surprised at the love for Madness on here mind. Been a big fan for years but they're a bit of a car crash these days.

That karaoke part was cringey and Suggs came across as a right tit. Thompson hasn't got the chops for his sax anymore and it was all just a bit shabby to me. They're not half the band without Chas.

Enjoyed ELO,though it was so polished I was convinced they were all miming at the time.

So having watched a bit of ELO on TV (never does it justice I know, but) they looked shockingly boring. Theres a silence between Shine a Little Love and Wild West Hero which I've never heard at the festival, never mind on the Pyramid. You could hear a pin drop. Its really cringing. I had to rewind to make sure the TV wasn't on mute. As dull and MOR as could be. A complete waste of time. 

Hopefully the festival will have realised that people need a lift, a sing-a-long and a dance on a Sunday afternoon and go for Gibb, Franklin, Collins, Ross et al from now on. While they're still alive and well and performing.

Whos the competition winner on vocals? 

Check out the silence here. From about 33 mins 50. A good 20 seconds of it. :wacko:

Edited by The Nal

13 hours ago, dentalplan said:

There have been articles where Lionel Richie and Nile Rodgers have stated they've been trying to get Diana Ross to play. That's worth keeping an eye on.

Whoever it is though; it's clear that the future metric for Sunday legends should not be "how many classic tunes have they got?" but "how many times can they say something meaningless to the crowd?". Jeff made FOOLS out of those who said he only had one recognisable tune, only for the verdict to come back that he actually had too many tunes so he had no time to say "how are you doing Glastonbury?" a dozen times. :lol:

What about chic in the legends slot. Nile Rogers would love to come back after the barnstorming west holts set of 2013 and would want to pull a serious crowd. And they've got a good mix of dancey and slower numbers which could suit a Sunday afternoon crowd. I think it would be a departure from the 'cheese' but could work. Plus ELO saidto me that a part of the huge crowd were there for the Sunday legend slot, not necessarily ELO. If Chic have the crowd guaranteed, they'd grab it by the balls.

I loved ELO. I was drunk though....

I think Barry Gibb is probably already signed up for next year. Personally I would LOVE to see Cliff in the Legends slot, although I' not sure if that will ever happen now. He looked so tired and drawn at Wimbledon earlier this week :(

Loved ELO but the atmosphere was a bit flat. Maybe it's just me but I'd prefer more like that than watching Dolly mime to a field full of people wearing fake, plastic tits (worst Radiohead cover, ever) and blonde wigs.

I watched the Barry Gibb bit the other night, absolutely fucking dreadful. A voice like finger nails down a blackboard, I fear he's a certainty for next year though.