Madabout G

The legends spot has become one of the biggest, most difficult and most important spots to fill at Glasto. 

For me...... ELO weren't a good choice. 

A great band, yes. 

A classic band, yes. 

A Glastonbury band, yes. 

BUT...... not a "legends slot"

The legends slot has to have an element of superstardom with a mix of cheese. 

Look at the legends slot history......

its VERY difficult to think of suitable acts. And even more difficult to convince the potential acts to agree,' knowing' that it's maybe a bit of a cheesy slot!

That said, the exposure is so massive now I'm sure very few would decline the opportunity. 

I can't believe Barry Manilow hasn't been approached! (Maybe he has. In fact I'm sure he has! How perfect would he be?!"

Edited by Madabout G

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although not there this year, I enjoyed watching ELO today, however, what was really noticeable was the stark difference between Jeff Lynne's post performance interview and that of Lionel last year. Lionel was literally bursting with pleasure, pride, surprise and just amazed by the experience. Jeff seemed completely non-plussed and although he'd said he enjoyed it, it was clearly there had been no yearning to play, it just fitted in nicely to their tour schedule and his manager had told him it was a good slot - he seemed to have little knowledge of the festival or the slot. 

15 hours ago, Madabout G said:

The legends spot has become one of the biggest, most difficult and most important spots to fill at Glasto. 

For me...... ELO weren't a good choice. 

A great band, yes. 

A classic band, yes. 

A Glastonbury band, yes. 

BUT...... not a "legends slot"

The legends slot has to have an element of superstardom with a mix of cheese. 

Look at the legends slot history......

its VERY difficult to think of suitable acts. And even more difficult to convince the potential acts to agree,' knowing' that it's maybe a bit of a cheesy slot!

That said, the exposure is so massive now I'm sure very few would decline the opportunity. 

I can't believe Barry Manilow hasn't been approached! (Maybe he has. In fact I'm sure he has! How perfect would he be?!"

Definitely this ^^^

I do really like ELO but didn't see them.

And for MONTHS we have been saying we didn't understand why they didn't get Barry M - he is in the country touring now but it's his farewell tour so I think that ship has sailed. Would have been a perfect fit for the slot as far as I'm concerned.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

I still want to see Dylan play that slot. Probably won't happen, but that would be my choice. 

Absolutely, would be great. I agree with you that the way the legends slot has gone I'd be surprised.

Maybe in an early afternoon slot a la BB King. Guess he'd still get a huge crowd but slightly less pressure on him to be TV friendly. 

They were great - sounded fantastic.

However the past few years of legends has changed the crowd expectation. It seems the majority want cheese now (as per original poster). 

Imagine if Jonny Cash were still alive and did it as in 1994, everyone would probably be complaining about that if it wasn't camp. Someone mentioned Dylan - would also bomb as people want some razzamataz...

I don't really get why?

16 hours ago, Waapster said:

You'd prefer Barry Manilow? 

ELO were brilliant. Let's stick to great music and leave the shit for Vegas

Agreed. They fit the "i forgot how many of their songs i knew" category very well.

Wasnt bothered about the lack of chat. I hear he is usually pretty quiet.

Edited by ciderbus