Where are all the flags?

Salute

1 hour ago, Salute said:

First time not at Glastonbury since 2007 so watching from home on TV but it seems most of the flags at the Pyramid stage have disappeared this year - what's happened?

Well done sir. You managed to miss two of the muddiest Glastonbury's ever while taking in one of the sunniest -and my personal favourite - in 2010. I was there in '07 and I struggle to believe even the great Michael Eavis that this years mud is worse. Easy to say fromat home on my sofa though ;) 

image.jpeg

Flag W*nkers!! No need for them at all, if you want to show off a 'hilarious' slogan get it made on to a t-shirt. Why try and carry a huge pole around all day, in those conditions too, just so you can spot yourself for a few seconds on TV. Crazy. 

Edited by wozwebs

7 hours ago, DTichborne said:

Still loads of flags this year, meaning that you only see the act on the Pyramid Stage (apart from the screens) if you're in the front 5000 people or so. It's utter selfishness. Every other major festival has cut them out for that reason, Glastonbury should do the same.

Far too many, completely obscured the view of both stage and screens as two shortish people this made it more difficult to enjoy the music....agree Glastonbury need to follow suit and ban them, also struggled with the attitude of he flag carriers who seemed to think carryin a flag and pole gave them extra pushing and shoving rights.

And as I'm on one....flares, the only time I wanted it to be pouring was when the idiot next to me decided to light one up, put the girlfriend on his shoulders who preceded to wave the damn thing in our faces, I know banning then isn't easy to enforce but personal experience says they aren't really much fun.

Otherwise had a great time, looking forward to the next one!

I had access to the disabled platforms this year. Flags have never bothered me until now - the disabled platform is full of people who have limited mobility, need to sit down, require a scooter or need to use the deaf/signing services. These people cannot move if their view is blocked and a lot of the time there were flags slap bang in the middle of the screens. If a flag is in the wrong place, you can move so you can see better unless you're on the platforms. 

1 hour ago, stardustjunkie said:

I had access to the disabled platforms this year. Flags have never bothered me until now - the disabled platform is full of people who have limited mobility, need to sit down, require a scooter or need to use the deaf/signing services. These people cannot move if their view is blocked and a lot of the time there were flags slap bang in the middle of the screens. If a flag is in the wrong place, you can move so you can see better unless you're on the platforms. 

Except you can't move if it's muddy (like this year) or if the field is full (like when The Rolling Stones played). And it's not a case of slightly adjusting where you are, basically if you're not in the front quarter of the field then you'll see none of the stage, and even in front of that you're likely to have a partially blocked view. 

Completely agree that the disabled platform is the single biggest reason why they should be banned in front of stage.

28 minutes ago, DTichborne said:

Except you can't move if it's muddy (like this year) or if the field is full (like when The Rolling Stones played). And it's not a case of slightly adjusting where you are, basically if you're not in the front quarter of the field then you'll see none of the stage, and even in front of that you're likely to have a partially blocked view. 

Completely agree that the disabled platform is the single biggest reason why they should be banned in front of stage.

I know it's tough when it's full or muddy but there is still the option to move. I think a little consideration from the flag wavers would go a long way. I noticed during Adele that one flag was repeatedly blocking the cameras that were filming for the screens. 

10 hours ago, wozwebs said:

Flag W*nkers!! No need for them at all, if you want to show off a 'hilarious' slogan get it made on to a t-shirt. Why try and carry a huge pole around all day, in those conditions too, just so you can spot yourself for a few seconds on TV. Crazy. 

That's what I was calling them - especially when the Pyramid stage ended and I was walking against the flow and getting bashed by flags.

Don't get me started on chair w*nkers!  

My view on flags is the same as my view on chairs. Perfectly acceptable & part of Glastonbury as long as your far enough back.

Totally dick behaviour in wrong place. Definitely should be banned from pit.

Also common sense says make one side of pit an entrance & the other an exit. Would stop it being a crush to get in and out

Flags - defo should be banned, certainly up close.

And no, I shouldn't have to move. If I've made the effort to get in early for a 'good'spot', which for me nowadays typically means a) if at Pyramid inside the inner circle but at the back where there is room (preferably leaning on the back barrier) or b ) at Other typically means leaning on one of the Mixer desk barriers, I'm not about to give up a spot like that because of some twat with a flag.

At least I didn't see anything like the vertical 'Sausages' flay this year, though at Other in particular some were on short poles - cue the 'Chips Ahoy' flag low and middle during PJ Harvey's set.

w*nkers

I don't particularly mind the flags. Makes it easier to track people down in the crowds. 

However, the guy who shoved his way to the front, out again, and then back once more midway through Sigur Ros just to wave his 'Hold The Door' flag - you, sir, are an inconsiderate dingbat who needs to consider what you go to festivals for. 

I think more people were taking the piss with their flags this year, especially the poles with three flags on and that enourmous Korea-flag.

Worst was that huge flag with the face of a kid and some text about his mother not letting him go to the festival. Not only really lame, but insanely c**tish to block so many peoples view with a flag like that.