James - no Sit down wtf?

Walter Sobchak

24 minutes ago, mbheather said:

Have seen them a couple of times at Latitude and find them constantly a great watch. First time Tim was enjoying it so much he didnt want to get off stage. Think they sneaked in another track or so. In 2014 when they played a day late due to flight issues he was saying that set lists were drawn up according  to whatever event they happened to be playing, i think to fit the mood of the event. I guess they thought 'Sitting down' wasnt a good idea at that point in time!

That first year at Latitude they were meant to be doing the Sunday morning secret slot, with choir and strings. Around a week out the festival decided to pull that slot and give it to Tom Jones (who was already doing the Thursday night secret slot) to do the same set again.

They were quite pissed off and went on with something to prove and it showed...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That first year at Latitude they were meant to be doing the Sunday morning secret slot, with choir and strings. Around a week out the festival decided to pull that slot and give it to Tom Jones (who was already doing the Thursday night secret slot) to do the same set again.

They were quite pissed off and went on with something to prove and it showed...

Ah didnt know that thanks. Latitude must like pissing people off. Badly drawn boy had a major rant towards the organisers whilst on stage last year including saying he couldnt believe he was only getting 5k for the slot. Was most amusing!

Best opener to the festival so far by miles, great set list too, new stuff sounded good live

I wonder what other tracks they had on the list that they had to miss out when told time was up - Tim clearly had to go to all band members to tell them the next/last track was Laid

Did they do the Greenpeace secret set later in the day? 

Hopefully, now that they've made a long awaited return we'll see the back again soon as a sub slot with more time.

3 hours ago, not worthy said:

Best opener to the festival so far by miles, great set list too, new stuff sounded good live

I wonder what other tracks they had on the list that they had to miss out when told time was up - Tim clearly had to go to all band members to tell them the next/last track was Laid

Did they do the Greenpeace secret set later in the day? 

Hopefully, now that they've made a long awaited return we'll see the back again soon as a sub slot with more time.

They played practically their full allocated hour so I don't know if any songs were dropped as such but Laid might have been a last minute swap-out. Unlikely though as I would have given money on them playing it in their set.

They rarely play Sit down any more - is that correct ? They played Jersey Folklore last year and played it, but thats one of the only times I seen them do it live. I thought they played a great set

Band of Horses didn;t play my favourite tune (and I think one of their most famous) - suprised it wasn;t on their set list but hey ho

I'm a massive James fan - named my son James as he was conceived the night I wasn't allowed to go and see them at the Electric Ballroom! - and loved the set. It was more focused on their latest album, but that's what their touring. Plenty of other hits thrown in, I loved Sometimes and Out To Get You.  A brilliant start to the festival.

22 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

They rarely play Sit down any more - is that correct ? They played Jersey Folklore last year and played it, but thats one of the only times I seen them do it live. I thought they played a great set

Band of Horses didn;t play my favourite tune (and I think one of their most famous) - suprised it wasn;t on their set list but hey ho

We saw them at Manchester and Leeds a few months ago and they played it both times, but that seemed to be an exception.

as I understand it, they don't feel that Sit Down represents them as a band since much of their back catalogue is very different to that one song. They're promoting their new album - Tim even said on the band blog that it's called "The Girl at the End of the World Tour" for a reason - and Sit Down isn't representative of that.

In addition, I imagine the BBC would run a performance of Sit Down into the ground had they performed it at Glastonbury and the band didn't want to only be remembered for that song when they have so many others.

For the record, I thought Sit Down at Manc and Leeds didn't go down as epically as people would expect. They got better responses from Fred Estaire and Sometimes, if I remember correctly.

Wouldn't say Sit Down is rare, been played at maybe 50% of gigs in the past 4 years or so. But Sometimes and GAWI are played at 95% so it feels rarer.

The setlist on paper is here. As played but we got Laid at the end. Tim seemed to want to skip Curse Curse but they didn't.

I thought they played a very good set. I would have loved Sit Down, Waltzing Along, Born Of Frustration etc, but I can understand them wanting to play new songs. Tim has tweeted about it since. 

One point I will make, is if Radiohead had got that slot, and played half new songs, then half old ones, but didn't play Creep, Karma Police, Street Spirit, a lot of people on here would be shooting people down for complaining. You can say Radiohead are bigger, but its the same point, when it comes to playing the popular mainstream songs.

Just watching the iplayer set.  I really enjoyed the set, some of the new material fell a bit flat but as I am fond of the sound that James make I wasn't unhappy to hear any of it.

My highlight was Moving on.  Cried a bit.

46 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Just watching the iplayer set.  I really enjoyed the set, some of the new material fell a bit flat but as I am fond of the sound that James make I wasn't unhappy to hear any of it.

My highlight was Moving on.  Cried a bit.

Yep, that was my emotional part of the weekend. My mother passed away a few weeks ago and I was fine to go to Glastonbury, but a few people said that it'll all hit me at some point over the weekend.

Then James played Moving On, with that dedication at the start, and that was when it all hit me. And now i can't hear or even think of that song without choking up. THANKS JAMES

2 hours ago, Alan_C said:

I thought they played a very good set. I would have loved Sit Down, Waltzing Along, Born Of Frustration etc, but I can understand them wanting to play new songs. Tim has tweeted about it since. 

One point I will make, is if Radiohead had got that slot, and played half new songs, then half old ones, but didn't play Creep, Karma Police, Street Spirit, a lot of people on here would be shooting people down for complaining. You can say Radiohead are bigger, but its the same point, when it comes to playing the popular mainstream songs.

For a fair comparison it would only be if Radiohead didn't play Creep.

Btw I went to download the full set from iPlayer (link below) and noticed something called The Quay Sessions which had James on for a set:

The Quay Sessions - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03ppplz/the-quay-sessions-james

Glasto Set - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03y1k25/glastonbury-2016-james

Haven't watched it yet but looks a similar setup to the Sky Arts session they did the other year.

I get they've got new material and all that and they have every right to play it, but the set they played would have been great for James fans later in the day, that slot is a novelty slot and I think it should be treated a little more like it. If they'd opened with a classic song it would have been a different story.