Underworld......WOW

mrfunk

Will ever see them back again? On the one hand they would do well to match that performance, but if they're still knocking about in 5 years then why not?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Glasto thinking I might be done with Underworld having seen them so many times. Left thinking they were second best band I saw (after LCD). Just got back from Bilbao BBK and saw them again - and they stole the show completely there, despite me having seen them two weeks before.

This is the set that keeps coming back to me from the whole weekend... It was near perfection and I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did! Perfection IMO would have included Dirty Epic. On reflection I think they blew LCD out of the park but think the fact they were at WH made big difference (not an other stage fan at all). I felt the same about Leftfield last year - the oldies are still the goodies. That's probably because I'm an oldie :-) 

10 hours ago, OG said:

i'm well out of touch. Nearly £40 for a ticket! and still people moan about the price of Glastonbury

Around the £30 mark seems about normal for venues and bands like this. I did see a band for £8 the other night which was both refreshing and excellent.

They played the same set - bar no Nylon Strong sadly - at Bilbao BBK. Also, there was no Rick Smith, just that other bloke who stands up there now (I think he might be a tribute act for that bloke who now stands on stage with the Chemical Brothers).

At the end of the set, Karl thanked Rick Smith 'who is up there working the desk' (pointed at sound stage). Seemed a bit like he made a point of saying it and why would he be up there anyway? Got the impression he might not have been able to appear so they just whacked play on the CD and cracked on (whatever difference that makes).

20 minutes ago, Homer said:

They played the same set - bar no Nylon Strong sadly - at Bilbao BBK. Also, there was no Rick Smith, just that other bloke who stands up there now (I think he might be a tribute act for that bloke who now stands on stage with the Chemical Brothers).

At the end of the set, Karl thanked Rick Smith 'who is up there working the desk' (pointed at sound stage). Seemed a bit like he made a point of saying it and why would he be up there anyway? Got the impression he might not have been able to appear so they just whacked play on the CD and cracked on (whatever difference that makes).

I really enjoyed their set at Glastonbury, but if the iPlayer coverage showed anything it was that not a lot of 'live' stuff was happening. Not if you compare to the Chems or Jon Hopkins to name two off the top of my head.

I am hoping they add some UK dates further up North, to that London date. Surely they will. They haven't done a UK tour for this album and it would be weird if they done one random gig next year with nothing else.

9 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I am hoping they add some UK dates further up North, to that London date. Surely they will. They haven't done a UK tour for this album and it would be weird if they done one random gig next year with nothing else.

I think they have done quite a bit his year in the way of launching that album. 6music, the roundhouse gigs, Glasto. Not sure if I remember other locations ir not. Nothing in the way of a uk tour though  

I'm guessing by the way they have advertised this ally pally gig and by how it has been reported is that it's a one off "something special". Possibly why it's sold out already. 

They said in an interview they enjoyed producing this album so much that they would consider writing another so maybe next year that's what they will be doing?

4 minutes ago, wwinstanley said:

I'm guessing by the way they have advertised this ally pally gig and by how it has been reported is that it's a one off "something special". Possibly why it's sold out already. 

I didn't realise it was sold out so quickly hopefully the bulk of the tickets have gone to fans and not touts.

9 minutes ago, wwinstanley said:

I think they have done quite a bit his year in the way of launching that album. 6music, the roundhouse gigs, Glasto. Not sure if I remember other locations ir not. Nothing in the way of a uk tour though  

They said in an interview they enjoyed producing this album so much that they would consider writing another so maybe next year that's what they will be doing?

It's possible it might be a one off, but I don't think they quite advertised it as their only UK gig of 2017 or anything like that. Maybe it might be the last one of the tour? They've got nowt booked between September and that gig in March. I would bloody hope they could fit a little UK tour in between there, or I will be disappointed. 

8 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

It's possible it might be a one off, but I don't think they quite advertised it as their only UK gig of 2017 or anything like that. Maybe it might be the last one of the tour? They've got nowt booked between September and that gig in March. I would bloody hope they could fit a little UK tour in between there, or I will be disappointed. 

They haven't advertised it as that no, but from some articles I have read it's been called a one off. 

Like you say though March is a fair way off so there might be a chance of a uk tour. 

Can you not make the London show? 

16 minutes ago, Migraine said:

I didn't realise it was sold out so quickly hopefully the bulk of the tickets have gone to fans and not touts.

All sold out according to underworld website. 

Last time loads showed up on getmein which is a bit of a shame as people are buying in bulk, upping the price then sticking them in there. I paid double what I should have because I left it too late. 

6 minutes ago, wwinstanley said:

They haven't advertised it as that no, but from some articles I have read it's been called a one off. 

Like you say though March is a fair way off so there might be a chance of a uk tour. 

Can you not make the London show? 

I probably could do it aye, but I'm just holding out because I will be annoyed with myself if they end up coming up to Newcastle or somewhere close and I spend a fortune down London.

7 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

I probably could do it aye, but I'm just holding out because I will be annoyed with myself if they end up coming up to Newcastle or somewhere close and I spend a fortune down London.

Yeh that's understandable! 

Although the way tickets have gone if you can get hold of one and then change your mind il bet you have no problem getting rid of it. 

I think whether a one off or end our tour gig it will be big.