EAST AND WEST CAMPER CREW

Swine_Glasto2014

Well that blows the plans out of the water then! Cock!

Getting onsite for me and leaving shouldn't be a problem - Dragging the trailer tent behind the venerable Disco.... What could be a problem though is hitting a queue of caravans on the way in and then not getting to the pitch until dark - by which time we will all be hungry and it might be dark. Good job i've some decent work lights on the truck.

I'm sure it's all for the best though - would be nice if the info came out a bit more publicly though! I only found out in passing as my Brother mentioned it to me. My other half paid for the caravan field ticket and is out for the evening so haven't seen an email.

• Replies 802
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, neff said:

Well that blows the plans out of the water then! Cock!

Getting onsite for me and leaving shouldn't be a problem - Dragging the trailer tent behind the venerable Disco.... What could be a problem though is hitting a queue of caravans on the way in and then not getting to the pitch until dark - by which time we will all be hungry and it might be dark. Good job i've some decent work lights on the truck.

I'm sure it's all for the best though - would be nice if the info came out a bit more publicly though! I only found out in passing as my Brother mentioned it to me. My other half paid for the caravan field ticket and is out for the evening so haven't seen an email.

I feel your pain. I have a trailer tent, though I don't have a Disco, or work lights so it's going to be tricky putting it up in the dark!

3 minutes ago, donshakey said:

Surely loads of people are going to miss the email and turn up as planned at 10/11am. Is it fair to turn them away or put them miles back? I'm going ot aim to get close by by noon and then keep checking on here for updates of queues/getting in etc.

Don't see why it'd be unfair - I don't think the Festival have ever guaranteed that first arrivals park closest to the gate, it's just the way they've done things for the past few years because it's easiest to organise.

Why on earth would you get there at noon when they have stated exactly when the field will open and why they have had to delay? All you will do is clog the roads, end up arguing with staff and going away frustrated, if you do have the "good fortune" to get on early you may well end up stuck in the mud, why not spend the afternoon exploring the local area have tea somewhere and then head for the site? I'm aiming for 8 p.m. hopefully most of the desperados will have finished queueing by then.

Really don't get people on here saying they are going to ignore the request and turn up as normal. I think if you read between the lines of all the different things coming out of those who are on site at the moment one thing is clear. The guys down there are under real pressure to pull this together given the issues they are facing at the moment. It is likely that resources will be getting diverted here there and everywhere to muck in with various different things to ensure we have the best shot at a smooth and issue free festival. Instead of adhering to a request and helping these guys out there are people saying, na stuff it they are bluffing I'm just gonna turn up anyway and potentially cause a problem and divert resources from other places where they could be better used. Come on people we've all been waiting a long time and we're all eager to get on site but how about we use a bit of common sense and give the guys down there a chance to pull things together if that's what they are asking. If they were confident they could stick to their original plan/schedule then they would do so. They want everyone in and settled as much as we do, to say that it's some elaborate bluff is nonsense.

3 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Is this still only from see tickets and not Glastonbury or have we had official confirmation? I know it makes sense but seems weird that no official word is out unless I missed it?

An E-Mail like that from See Tickets is official word for all meaningful purposes.

Of course and that's fine that will always be the case, realistically though the message will get to the majority of people by some means before tomorrow. To be in receipt of the request and make a conscious decision just to ignore it and turn up anyway is simply moronic and will not help things down on site one bit. 

I still haven't had an email? I know it makes no difference as I've heard via other means, but if I hadn't I'd happily have turned up at 12ish, having left our campsite and having no where to go with the caravan in tow? Wonder how many other people will be in the same position? 

Edited by norainplease

6 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Logistically they're gonna have a nightmare. So many people won't see this email and the roads will be chaos. Nobody to blame but themselves. It's not information they're trying their hardest to get out there is it. Poor 

I have a feeling they're trying to avoid the media getting the information. An email from SeeTickets doesn't make as strong of a headline as an email from Glastonbury... It essentially avoids / delays a 'GLASTONBURY DELAYED' story.

Where are 1,000s of camper vans, caravans, motor homes supposed to dissipate to when they all turn up prior to 6pm? The roads are going to be absolute carnage, surely? I can't see how they cannot relent prior to 6pm.

Edited by r0nin

This isn't good for anybody, including GFL. They'll be as aware as anyone what mess this is going to result in, but we have to assume it's absolutely necessary for them to have made that decision. I'd rather have a long queue to get in, but get in, rather than have thousands of vans tear the fields to pieces resulting in somebody getting stuck and everyone having to wait for hours longer.

I don't really see what SEE/GFL can do except email people, or perhaps send them a text. People are as likely to miss a Facebook update as they are an email. I suppose they're just thinking that if it stops some that will be something. I do fear for the scenes at 6pm, though.

2 hours ago, Amii said:

I have a feeling they're trying to avoid the media getting the information. An email from SeeTickets doesn't make as strong of a headline as an email from Glastonbury... It essentially avoids / delays a 'GLASTONBURY DELAYED' story.

It does seem that way. I can't understand why the message is not being reinforced on the website / Facebook / Twitter. Surely that's the obvious thing to do with a last minute change of plans. 

I think I'll aim to arrive around 7:30 - 8:00. That should leave enough light to get the basic trailer tent erected and have somewhere to sleep. The awning and unpacking of the car can wait 'till Wednesday morning if necessary. 

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

I don't really see what SEE/GFL can do except email people, or perhaps send them a text. People are as likely to miss a Facebook update as they are an email. I suppose they're just thinking that if it stops some that will be something. I do fear for the scenes at 6pm, though.

Do See even take mobile numbers for Glastonbury. There's not many options really - more people are going to see an email than will check social media (we're a self selecting odd group here). It sounds like there's a serious health and safety issue with one part of the site, so they had to do something. Splitting East and West to different times would have caused even more confusion. Having everyone arrive at 6pm isn't great, but bear in mind they're probably weighing up doing either that, or delaying the opening until 6am on the Wednesday.

I'd wager this isn't the only issue the flooding has caused, and I think some of it will be clearly visible on site on Wednesday. Stuff will be missing, nothing huge, but there will have been problems. I'll personally be amazed if the South-East corner in particular is up and running Wednesday night as planned.

Edited by DeanoL