Not going for the first time since 1997 - have a great time everyone!

Dog Burger

Didn't manage to get a ticket this year and the job I had on the Glastonbury Free press didn't materialise this time round. Will be the first time I haven't been there since 1997. It's a really weird feeling, watching the build-up happening and knowing I won't be going. I've never experienced it before, as I've been to every one since my first Glastonbury in 1998. It really hit home just now when I looked at the TV guide and saw the Countryfile forecast would be on in a couple of hours, and then went.... oh....
Think I'm probably going to have to enforce a media blackout on myself and go camping somewhere where there are no TVs or radios for the weekend. Hopefully absence will make the heart grow even fonder and I'll back in a year's time even more excited to be there than ever. Have an amazing time everyone, drink it all in and savour every moment. I'm incredibly envious! 

DB 

2 hours ago, Dog Burger said:

Didn't manage to get a ticket this year and the job I had on the Glastonbury Free press didn't materialise this time round. Will be the first time I haven't been there since 1997. It's a really weird feeling, watching the build-up happening and knowing I won't be going. I've never experienced it before, as I've been to every one since my first Glastonbury in 1998. It really hit home just now when I looked at the TV guide and saw the Countryfile forecast would be on in a couple of hours, and then went.... oh....
Think I'm probably going to have to enforce a media blackout on myself and go camping somewhere where there are no TVs or radios for the weekend. Hopefully absence will make the heart grow even fonder and I'll back in a year's time even more excited to be there than ever. Have an amazing time everyone, drink it all in and savour every moment. I'm incredibly envious! 

DB 

It's not over until the gates open! I'll keep eyes and ears out of I see anything. There may be last minute volunteering if people drop out tomorrow 

Cheers guys, I think it's not to be this time round, but I can't complain I've had a great run - 15 in a row, never failed to get a ticket, and landed the Free Press job, which was great fun and made me see the festival in a whole new light, even meeting my all-time hero Mr Eavis last year. I'll definitely be back next year :)

Same here 1st time since 1994 , I will be at home , was really gutted the other day , but at the moment I ain't that bothered ,about missing it , but that might change when it's on , glasto is great but there is more to life , I not sure if I can watch it either , we was thinking of a trip up to Scottish highlands , as far away as possible , what you don't see you don't miss , but always next year , lots of other good smaller festivals around , you should try bearded theory next year ,small but good and a hell of a lot more chilled than glasto , no over the top security or stewards 

21 minutes ago, PetePie said:

Same here 1st time since 1994 , I will be at home , was really gutted the other day , but at the moment I ain't that bothered ,about missing it , but that might change when it's on , glasto is great but there is more to life , I not sure if I can watch it either , we was thinking of a trip up to Scottish highlands , as far away as possible , what you don't see you don't miss , but always next year , lots of other good smaller festivals around , you should try bearded theory next year ,small but good and a hell of a lot more chilled than glasto , no over the top security or stewards 

Very similar thoughts mate. In actual fact, I think I need a break. Had begun to go through the motions a bit. It's still by far the greatest festival out there, and I'll find it very hard not to be there when it's on, but I think it'll do me good and I'll return refreshed in the meantime. In the meantime, like you, I'm checking out some smaller ones. Latitude for the first time and Blue Dot, which looks utterly beautiful. Roll on 2017 :)

We have been looking at blue dot as well , hopefully we will go , glasto is the best festival going , without a doubt ,trouble is it's become to dam popular now , to many people wanna go , bring back the old days where you could buy a ticket 2 days before it started 

Rather than hide away from it the years I haven't been I've found it better to embrace the Beeb output and make a couch potato festival goer's weekend of it.

Load up on snacks, alcohol and whatever else you usually imbibe on the farm and crank up the surround sound and watch as much of the output back-to-back as you can. 

It's obviously not the same as going but if you can't go it's the next best thing, and you can mentally fill in the gaps as you know what it's like there.

Extra points for recreating favourite dishes from stalls there. Goan Fish Curry or homemade Welsh Oggie, anyone?  The Growler is an easy one, mind...