Wellies or walking boots?

bigfurbdogg

Since destroying my feet with cheap wellies in 2011 I've moved onto walking boots but they've never had to stand up to as much as they might have to this year.

The last few days on this forum has convinced me to buy some gaiters but they re something I know very little about. Is there any difference between cheap and expensive ones? I'd hate to only spend £5 on something useless when a little bit of an investment will actually function well.

After a quick check on the efests store here I don't see any for sale so hope it's ok to post this: http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-sierra-gaiters-780000 £7.50 seems reasonable (I'm hoping that they are the same price in store so I can pick some up tomorrow), does anyone know if it would be a false economy?  

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse my ignorance but is it possible to wear ankle gaiters with shorts? I've never worn them before and wasn't sure if the top part of the gaiter has to hook on to whatever I'm wearing  (in my case either shorts or waterproof trousers). I'm torn between wellies and buying gaiters for my walking shoes - if I go for the latter I only want a short pair,  not the big long ones.

8 hours ago, beatboy said:

Excuse my ignorance but is it possible to wear ankle gaiters with shorts? I've never worn them before and wasn't sure if the top part of the gaiter has to hook on to whatever I'm wearing  (in my case either shorts or waterproof trousers). I'm torn between wellies and buying gaiters for my walking shoes - if I go for the latter I only want a short pair,  not the big long ones.

they usually have ties at the top - I usually just tighten them around my leg

9 hours ago, beatboy said:

Given I happily wear tall gaiters with shorts, I'd say you'd be fine with ankle ones ;)

Having said that... I'd recommend tall ones tbh.  The ankle ones I've seen pretty much only cover up to regular boot height - you'd still get loads of mud up your legs & if you do step in a puddle could well get water over the top.  

Also I've never tried gaiters with walking shoes, only boots.  No reason why they wouldn't work, but maybe try to get to a shop with the shoes you're planning to take & try fitting them on to make sure?

I'll be coming in wellies with new insoles and long socks to keep 'em comfy, and bringing my Docs in the hope it dries up enough to wear them. My walking boots are goretex and I can't think of anything worse than having to wash Glastonbury mud off them once I'm home!

So I got some walking boots, they seem pretty decent and are waterproof. Hi-tec ones. Been trying to wear them in the last couple of days but today my left leg has started to hurt around the knee. Likely to be down to the shoes not being the right fit? Would insoles help? They're not the most comfortable at the minute but hoping that's just because they're new. 

I'm braving it, I'm going to FINALLY take my lovely walking  boots and wellies (I know, I'm trying to pack lightly) my fear is that I end up with someone pushing into me and me going flying into a puddle and then the walking boots are out of action. They're not new, I brought them years ago for a trip to Iceland and for walking in the peaks. They are the comfiest shoes I own!

Think I'm going to wear walking boots with wellies in the car for desperate times.

One year ('07 maybe) I thought it would be clever to do the whole thing in rugby boots, the logic being no matter how muddy it was, I wouldn't slip. They don't work so well on the metal tracks after a litre of rum!

Someone on another thread recommended these "Site Rigger Boots" for £30 from Screwfix Direct.  Ordered them last night with next day delivery and they showed up this morning.  So glad I did.. these things are great!  They are like the fur-lined padded wellies of your dreams!!  They feel secure enough but also not like the kind of thing that needs to be broken in like regular walking boots.  Obviously I haven't spent the festival in them yet but highly recommend them based on walking about the house!

ae235.jpeg

12 minutes ago, lebenski said:

Someone on another thread recommended these "Site Rigger Boots" for £30 from Screwfix Direct.  Ordered them last night with next day delivery and they showed up this morning.  So glad I did.. these things are great!  They are like the fur-lined padded wellies of your dreams!!  They feel secure enough but also not like the kind of thing that needs to be broken in like regular walking boots.  Obviously I haven't spent the festival in them yet but highly recommend them based on walking about the house!

ae235.jpeg

I like the look of those although my short wellies rubbed the back of my legs wearing shorts something proper in 2014.

6 minutes ago, lebenski said:

I'll be wearing ski socks with them!

Double-up on the socks - these can rub at the back of the heel. They do have the added advantage of steel toe caps too, so you're not bothered when peeps dance on your toes.

It's been site boots for years with me.

Down with wellies!

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You hear about people being converts once they change from wellies to walking boots, but you never hear of people swapping the other way.

I've posted about doing just that a few times. 

Well having worn both wellies and walking boots neither were perfect for me.  Wellies are uncomfortable and don't support your ankles, walking boots gave me blisters and you can't just stomp through anything like you can in wellies.  Glad I found these rigger things!