Wellies or walking boots?

bigfurbdogg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, StormCrow said:

it would help waterproof them its one thing to stand in water for a few mins its another walking in mud and water for a few days I'd err on the side of caution and give them all the help I could.

Agreed - besides they'd look prettier if they started off shiny. :P

I love my wellies, walk the dogs in them throughout the winter down the bog where boots just aren't going to cut it. I also enjoy the freedom of being able to jump in puddles. Lol. My last pair of boots met their demise on the farm last year and not forking out for another pair that I will only wear on the farm. I didn't find them any more or less comfortable than my wellies. So new pair of insoles and I'm good to go. 

I've got a pair of Berghaus walking boots but i've got no idea which particular model. Think I paid around £90 and they didn't need wearing in. Think this is their 3rd or 4th outing. Very comfortable and never had blisters or particularly sore feet.

Never needed to wear gaiters with them but I've just bought a pair for about £25 which seem to do a remarkable job of keeping water out. Not sure how they'll survive 5 days of constant mud/wetness if that is the case, but I'm hopeful of not needing them.

Only concern at the moment is knowing what I'll need when getting off the coach and to our pitching spot without knowing the worst affected areas. Sure it'll all be dandy!

4 hours ago, themuel said:

What do you reckon to these? They've been broken in just not by me! 

Wearing footwear broken in by someone else is worse, as the shoe will have softened and hardened according to the pressure of their feet.  Yours are a different shape and therefore the existing ridges are likely to exert more pressure on your feet in turn, particularly on the sole, but also where your feet bend.  Stick a gel insole or something in them at least.  As far as being suitable boots, they are about perfect as long as the sole has decent tread.

Only 1 year did I not take wellies. I ended up buying some on site. As good as my waterproof hiking boots are, they still let moisture in eventually when wading through mud. Wellies never do. That said the cheap wellies are murder on your feet.  The ideal compromise is done decent, comfy wellies - the shooting/hunting/horse riding type, with padding and decent soles etc. I was lucky to get some cheapish ones a few years ago which work brilliantly.

Sitting in car park on the Lizard and the persistent heavy rain/drizzle combined with this thread made me buy these TRIXES 1 Pair Waterproof Outdoor Hiking Walking Climbing Snow Legging Gaiters https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ELAYK06/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xmSzxbT5GY3T6

cheap and cheerful and hopefully stay in my bag all weekend :)

I've just come back from Go Outdoors, where I purchased a pair of walking boots and gators. Luckily I'm only a size 3 so can get away with much cheaper, kids' boots. I've got some Hunter wellies which, despite their Kate Moss wannabe following, are actually fantastic - really comfortable, with great grip. Well worth the money (although they're kids' ones too!)

I'm going to start with my walking boots with wellies as a back up. I'm also hoping the fact I've forked out c£60 means they won't be needed!

Edited by alibear

I've tried on my boots and gaiters and all looks good to me.

I've got a question tho for people that have used gaiters before, how effective are they? With a good boot and gaiter combo can you literally treat them as wellies? Surely if I'm wading through mud that is going above my ankles then some water is going to get in? 

I bought a pair of Beghaus Supalites a few weeks ago and worn them several times and they are the comfiest things I've ever worn, and didn't need breaking in at all, I'm actually looking forward to wearing them for five days on the run :D Really unsure about whether to take wellies, going to wait till Tuesday and if the forecast for the weekend looks bad then maybe I'll get a pair. Really unsure about gaiters too, how exactly do they stop water getting into your boots as there are big gaps? Or are they just to keep your legs dry? Also does anyone else thing they would look weird being worn with shorts? Haha.

58 minutes ago, Kneale said:

I bought a pair of Beghaus Supalites a few weeks ago and worn them several times and they are the comfiest things I've ever worn, and didn't need breaking in at all, I'm actually looking forward to wearing them for five days on the run :D Really unsure about whether to take wellies, going to wait till Tuesday and if the forecast for the weekend looks bad then maybe I'll get a pair. Really unsure about gaiters too, how exactly do they stop water getting into your boots as there are big gaps? Or are they just to keep your legs dry? Also does anyone else thing they would look weird being worn with shorts? Haha.

I'm planning to wear them with shorts if it comes to it, and I don't for one moment think I'm going to be looking good whilst doing it.

4 hours ago, Spindles said:

Wearing footwear broken in by someone else is worse, as the shoe will have softened and hardened according to the pressure of their feet.  Yours are a different shape and therefore the existing ridges are likely to exert more pressure on your feet in turn, particularly on the sole, but also where your feet bend.  Stick a gel insole or something in them at least.  As far as being suitable boots, they are about perfect as long as the sole has decent tread.

Hmmmm I'm going to take my chances. I wore them all day today and not a hint of any discomfort so fingers crossed.