Wellies or walking boots?

bigfurbdogg

So I'm going into town (Bath) today to get a new back pack and sleeping bag, and I'm considering also getting some walking boots.

I've always used wellies in the past and got on OK to be honest, bar a bit of welly rash. But after reading on here there seems to be a lot of love for walking boots, especially from the hardened veterans and I'm starting to think if it's going to be muddy for 5 days (fingers crossed it won't be!), then I mite be a lot more comfortable in walking boots?

Are walking boots the way to go? I assume a decent pair are waterproof? And how much am I looking to spend on a decent(ish) pair? 

Cheers for any advice.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wore wellies but taking my walking boots this year and wellies as back up. Just treated my boots with some nikwax for extra protection. Price wise I paid 70 for mine, you can get decent ones for about 40 quid or if you want to go up Everest you can pay about 200 quid. Go to somewhre like mountain warehouse, their own brand ones are fab that's what I have.

Walking boots are great, so much more comfortable than wellies and you don't run the risk of your foot coming out of your shoe when it gets stuck in the mud.

You need to break most walking boots in though or they will rub your feet to pieces so you might be best off sticking to wellies this close to the festival.

Don't skimp,  and get gaiters,  but you really need to break them in ASAP..  Would recommend berghaus leather goretex,  they are wide as well.  I wore berghaus in 05and 98 with gaiters

I'd say walking boots every time - the only exception being if you'll be definitely having to walk in water that would come over the tops of em (and then many here recommend gaiters and not wellies). Get ones where the tongue is attached all the way up so they're waterproof, and make sure the fit is good - and you're going to have to wear them every day now up to the festival to wear them in! I like high-rise leather ones, and +1 for lots of Nikwax to keep them supple and waterproof. I love my Regatta's, which seem to be high quality and not fatastically expensive, lasted a good five or six years so far and going strong

I have never took wellies. Walking boots all the way for me (with gaiters when it gets really bad) but as has been said boots need to be broken in (usually but not always) and I'm not sure you could get them broken in in time. The last thing you want to book is be in a pair or boots cutting into your ankle for 5 days.

Merrells for me, I did a 28 mile walk in em a couple of weeks ago and really havn't fancied them much since! Much more comfy than wellies though - but wellies do have that 'bollocks to it all' factor of being able to plough through anything in front of you, and in walking boots I skirt around yer standing water situations. 

Cheers for the advice, may stick to wellies for this year then. Don't know how much chance I'll get to break them in as I'm in the office Monday and Tuesday and can't exactly be rocking my walking boots.

We'll see, I may be tempted to get some boots still; I do have tendency to impulse buy with things like this.

I wear wellies. I did think about getting walking boots this year as they do make a lot of sense but I just never got round to it. I manage fine with wellies, they are black dunlop ones I picked up for £10.00 a few years ago in Millets. I make them more comfy with a small pair of socks with bigger, walking socks over the top. looking at the state the grounds going to be in, wellies might, might be the best option. Maybe...!? Ha, I dunno...!

I've done walking boots every year since 07 and would never wear willies as they are so much more comfortable. I always take gaiters with me but have never had to wear them, the standing water will have to pretty deep to go over walking boots and its not like the whole site will have standing water, just avoid it.

As for breaking them in you don't really need to, there is so much padding in them nowadays its like wearing trainers with extra support.

26 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I've done walking boots every year since 07 and would never wear willies as they are so much more comfortable.

Only ever worn my willy but am open minded to try something new...!

34 minutes ago, Fred Zepplin said:

I've done walking boots every year since 07 and would never wear willies as they are so much more comfortable. I always take gaiters with me but have never had to wear them, the standing water will have to pretty deep to go over walking boots and its not like the whole site will have standing water, just avoid it.

See, I'd quite like to try wearing willies. Would be much quicker to just pop to the urinal instead of queueing for the loos... :D

Took walking boots for the first time last year and they were so good I swore I'd never take wellies again... then I saw the floods.

Weighing up my options today but I think I'm more likely to get some gaiters because I just can't face my feet being crippled by wellies again. 

Also worth pointing out last time I took wellies they cracked and leaked and I got wet feet anyway

Edited by dj_tim

I will be taking 3 footwear options - think I'll be good in any scenario :)

• Wellies - new pair hopefully more comfy
  • Merrell waterproof walking boots about a year old
  • North face waterproof trainers - very old need new insoles but ideal for journey home if festival stays wet and muddy throughout 

41 minutes ago, themuel said:

What would that do? I stood in a bucket of water for a while yesterday and didn't get wet. 

it would help waterproof them its one thing to stand in water for a few mins its another walking in mud and water for a few days I'd err on the side of caution and give them all the help I could.