Socks

kevbizarre

Can anyone give advice on best type of socks (and inner soles?) to wear with wellies? Is it worth the extra money to buy to more expensive brands?

I usually just wear football socks but my feet are always screwed by Sun so this year want to be a bit kinder to them 

Thanks 

Hey I had the same idea just yesterday! - I have one pair of long songs (knee length) for when the wellies start rubbing my hair and skin off the insides of my leg.

I thought I'd need more than 1 pair this year so I went to Primark, Female section, got the biggest and largest socks I could find; 2 for £2.50 (It said size 4-8 and I'm a 10 but they fit/stretch)

Iif they last past Glastonbury, I'll give them to the Mrs & she can wear Knee-high socks ^_^

I take 2 packs of primark cotton socks, not dissimilar to Russy's.  I wear 2 pairs to prevent rubbing, blisters and socks falling down in the boot, that's a set per day and a handful of spares just in case of sock related emergency (such as last year when my son had gone in cheap ass gym socks and destroyed his feet).

Breathable fabrics, cotton, wool, etc, not manmade plastics, nylon etc.

1 minute ago, kevbizarre said:

Do you change socks half way through the day then? Never thought of doing that. Those are pretty decent value 

Depends how fucked I am, but in an ideal world I would. Putting on fresh socks is a wonderful feeling. 

I've taken (relatively) expensive socks before and the difference is minimal.

Just now, morph100 said:

I got a pair of those 1000miles socks which stop blisters, but they seem the same as wearing two pairs of normal socks. Socks rub so your feet dont.

Yup, and like Russy says, putting a brand new pair of socks on (no matter the cost) is like a breath of life for the feet.  I had the bamboo socks one year, lovely but honestly not really better than a couple of pairs of primarni/matalan bog standards.

Bought some gelert brand socks from sports direct earlier (three quid each or less if you buy multiple pairs) 

They are described as welly socks so hopefully will do the trick 

Have you considered a fresh set of wellies? 

I was always mega sceptical on paying over the odds for wellies but then I tried these lowther ones from Black's for 35 quid and found them so much comfier than my old b and q ones that it was worth paying the extra to avoid mangled feet !

5 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Bought some gelert brand socks from sports direct earlier (three quid each or less if you buy multiple pairs) 

They are described as welly socks so hopefully will do the trick 

Have you considered a fresh set of wellies? 

I was always mega sceptical on paying over the odds for wellies but then I tried these lowther ones from Black's for 35 quid and found them so much comfier than my old b and q ones that it was worth paying the extra to avoid mangled feet !

Yes bought a new pair of nice wellies this year after using £10 Dunlop ones for all other times - hopefully will make the most difference! 

Double sock plan seems like a good call

I'm not a wellies fan, but thin "liner" socks under thick defo works to prevent blisters with walking boots. :)

Think main issue with wellies - unless they're fancy breathable ones - is your feet getting too damp inside from sweat. No socks on earth will prevent blisters then. New socks halfway through the day might help - as might using talc...

I've got 4 pairs of these babies and theyre are bloody fantastic. Worn them a lot throughout the year and they're still in good condition to take this year! Double lined to prevent blisters and very comfy. Bit awkward to put on sweaty feet but its worth it http://www.universal-textiles.com/UK-UT/utpc2375.php?optionID=373082&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhZm7BRCUyfS6ho2VjOEBEiQAumpGMg7O_5BfWKpB0FGuflfLZsqJL0Cv_DGu0dXQ2_Thb9gaAsyH8P8HAQ

8 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

Bamboo socks are supposed to let your feet breathe as opposed to cotton ones.

I bought thick socks for  my wellies but they make the boots too tight on my feet. So try the sock and welly/boot combo before you go to make sure they're comfy

I've not tried bamboo socks, but defo would agree to avoid cotton. That being said, unless the boots are breathable, you're still going to get damp feet!

48 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Yup, and like Russy says, putting a brand new pair of socks on (no matter the cost) is like a breath of life for the feet.  I had the bamboo socks one year, lovely but honestly not really better than a couple of pairs of primarni/matalan bog standards.

I usually wear normal socks with a pair of thicker cheap socks on top- the key is to change into some fresh socks either just before or just after the headliner as once the temperatures start to cool you become aware of how sweaty your feet are and they start to feel cold and wet

17 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I'm a double bagger myself. Thin socks and football socks. With the added addition when in wellies of folding the tops of the football socks down and gaffer / electrical tape to stop the rubbing on backs of my legs. 

Nice tip.  Wellie rub on the calves is the 2nd leading footwear problem after blisters on the feet, by my reckoning.  Follow this man's advice for a comfortable time.

Bamboo ankle socks for me, with cheap Asda ankle socks over them. I'd never double bagged before last year & I was covered in blisters every year. I wore 2 pairs each day last year after reading these boards and they were a godsend. It makes the festival a lot more bearable. I take a few blister plasters too just incase.

Edited by DAVA

Since we're talking about footwear (and I didn't want to start its own thread), can I ask for people's opinions?

I have a pair of walking boots that claim to be waterproof (and I'm testing them as we speak). Last two festivals (last two years), I've worn wellies, and absolutely hated it, kept losing the wellies in the mud, but I was afraid to wear my boots because then my legs get all muddy.  Wellies are so uncomfortable and rub against my hairy legs, as I prefer to wear shorts rather than waterproof trousers.  But then, these were cheap Tesco wellies.

As there's a small chance we'll be walking in mud this year, I want to do this properly, but am on a tight budget. Would anyone recommend:

1. A "decent" pair of wellies, gel insoles, lots of socks, waterproof trousers
  2. Gaiters (if my boots turn out to be waterproof)
  3. Waterproof boots that go above the ankle (if they exist for a low cost?)

I realise this question is extremely vague but I'm panicking and don't want my festival to be affected by poor footwear choices.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

+1 for 1000 mile socks.  The point of these is that they are knee length compression socks.  They are TIGHT.  The compression aids circulation, and stops the fluids accumulating in your lower legs being on your feet all day.  Makes such a different to your festival endurance :). Because they're so tight, they don't slip- the heels stay on your heels and they stay up your legs.  And you don't get chafe blisters because they don't move 

Edited by funkyuk

42 minutes ago, Sidasta said:

Since we're talking about footwear (and I didn't want to start its own thread), can I ask for people's opinions?

I have a pair of walking boots that claim to be waterproof (and I'm testing them as we speak). Last two festivals (last two years), I've worn wellies, and absolutely hated it, kept losing the wellies in the mud, but I was afraid to wear my boots because then my legs get all muddy.  Wellies are so uncomfortable and rub against my hairy legs, as I prefer to wear shorts rather than waterproof trousers.  But then, these were cheap Tesco wellies.

As there's a small chance we'll be walking in mud this year, I want to do this properly, but am on a tight budget. Would anyone recommend:

1. A "decent" pair of wellies, gel insoles, lots of socks, waterproof trousers
  2. Gaiters (if my boots turn out to be waterproof)
  3. Waterproof boots that go above the ankle (if they exist for a low cost?)

I realise this question is extremely vague but I'm panicking and don't want my festival to be affected by poor footwear choices.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

Provided your boots are waterproof, gaiters all the way - you can get a decent pair for ~ £25 at Go Outdoors.  Other shops are available :)

Gaiters & boots will keep out anything short of actually standing in running water (In practice, I've happily splashed through ankle deep streams in them & been fine.) Gaiters also have the huge advantage of keeping your laces clean - impossible to underestimate how important this is, nothing worse than getting hands covered in cr@p taking your boots off.

For me, I've never found a pair of wellies that quite fit right - that plus the fact they're not breathable (Unless you go for leather/goretex ones) puts me right off.  Encasing your feet in rubber for 5 days? No thanks :wacko:

If you can afford to splash out on fancy leather/goretex ones, they're fantastic - but it's a lot of money.

As for waterproof trousers, I am taking a pair but prob would only wear them if it looked like solid wall to wall rain all day.  Otherwise they're more trouble that they're worth, the bottoms always get muddy whether you're wearing wellies or boots.  Nightmare to take off.

Shorts will get wet but dry out quick - just make sure you've got anything damp-sensitive sealed up in a tin or bag, not just shoved it a pocket.  Had a near miss with my phone in 2013, forgot it was in my pocket when it rained on the Thursday - when I took it out literally had dribbles of water all over the screen! Luckily still worked. :rolleyes:

EDITED TO ADD: If going for gaiters - definitely get breathable ones.  Sweaty legs are no fun.

Edited by jimmillen