Urgent Boot Advice

mrfunk

I have a decent set of Berghaus fellmaster boots, with gaiters.

Im not sure if I can trust these during heavy weather, as whilst cleaning and proofing with Nik Wax they appear to be damp inside.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/080416-brasher-mens-fellmaster-gore-tex-boot.html#reviews

I fully appreciate the comfort of proper boots vs wellies, especially when married to gaiters.. but i hate to say , it "might" be a really wet one :(

Although "nikwaxed", when it rains, the outside leather darkens, and water doesn't always bead off. :(

Not sure if these boots will hold up.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm looking at getting these, but want them to be as comfy as possible.. do you go up a size then wear the thicker socks, add insoles?

http://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/102560-dunlop-mens-dane-wellingtons.html

What to do?

I will take both pairs, but welcome advice on the above

FUNK X

Edited by mrfunk

not sure what advice you need old son seems youve answered your own question

..wellies= cant get wet at all but bloody uncomfortable [ spelling lol ]

boots a good pair depending on ground should be ok

if in doubt get army high legged boots never fail

all 3 and your sorted

Wellies are fine but 3 things to remember when buying.

1) try them on for size don't buy online & better to try them on towards the end or after you've done a fair bit of walking.  

Go for decent quality real rubber feather than plastic as the flexibility will not only mole them more comfortable but also less prone to splitting. 

Gel insoles will make all the difference plus socks, one pair that will co above the top of your wellies to prevent tubbing and then add a second thin pair on top as this can help prevent blisteres.

I got some great wellies recently from the John Norris website they've got a neoprene lining and they're so comfortable. And so far have been no splits and have really kept my feet dry! Get a size up and fill them with extra socks if you get wellies online 

Love my walking boots & gaiters, But, a VERY wet Glastonbury demands wellies and waterproof trousers. Wellies with air cushioned soles = comfort. I hate to say it, but the £30 I invested in a pair of Hunter wellies in 2007 has returned my investment many times. 

Not that this year is going to be THAT wet....still hoping to be wearing walking sandals for at least part of the time.

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Nothing I've seen so far has caused me to change my usual plan of walking boots and shorts, no gaiters.

I am teetering on the edge myself.  I haven't worn wellies since red ones in primary school and I hope it stays that way.

2 hours ago, mrfunk said:

Although "nikwaxed", when it rains, the outside leather darkens, and water doesn't always bead off. :(

Not sure if these boots will hold up.

--------------------------------------------------------

I've got a similar style pair of goretex boots that I've never bothered nixwaxing. The outside leather always darkens in the wet and water didn't bead off but I don't get wet feet. Brasher have a good reputation so I'd expect them to be fine unless they are really old.

4 hours ago, Spindles said:

I am teetering on the edge myself.  I haven't worn wellies since red ones in primary school and I hope it stays that way.

My man Sawdusty Surfer has already testified from the site that the flood water has receded and is now just 'damp'

There's more rain due Sunday night so we'll see how the land lies Monday morning and how the weekend forecasts are shaping up.

A literal "rain check", if you will.

Considering getting some wellies but it'll be a last minute decision early next week. For now, my boots are waterproofed, tested my gaiters under running water and they were bone dry seconds later. May also pick up some Sealskinz socks.

Wellies would present a whole new problem for me as I'd need some with good ankle support and I don't think wellies will cut it for me on that front. Would rather have wet feet than a sprained/twisted/broken ankle.

Think boots'll be fine.