The state of the ground

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Beautiful sunshine until just now. It's absolutely hammering it down again. Finally leaving site this afternoon...  Fingers crossed :)

Blimey hope you get off ok. What a clear up this year :-( the council report will make for interesting reading 

47 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Not nearly as bad, but some areas are more cut up due to more plant being needed for the build and take down.  One huge crane needed five giant tractors to pull it off. 

Is that the one that got stuck on the track by West Holts on Monday? There was a lot of head scratching going on when I walked past. :D

On 30 June 2016 at 9:07 PM, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Still having some fun. My'56 4x4 towing my mate's '61 4X4 towing a Merc Theater crew field. 

Nice to know your beautiful truck came in useful - and that you didn't fall off it again! If you'd been there when I last came for a sit-down at your place, I'd have asked if I could have a sit in it. Hubby and me sat there wondering what the porthole thing is in the front windscreen. What's it for?

45 minutes ago, JanieM28 said:

Hubby and me sat there wondering what the porthole thing is in the front windscreen. What's it for?

It is the 'Kent Clearvu System'. Developed during WW2 for destroyers. It is a disc of glass which rotated very fast. fitted to my lorry as it used to be a snowblower and wipers can't keep up in a blizzard. As it was made by ship builders the whole windscreen surround etc is made of brass!

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

It is the 'Kent Clearvu System'. Developed during WW2 for destroyers. It is a disc of glass which rotated very fast. fitted to my lorry as it used to be a snowblower and wipers can't keep up in a blizzard. As it was made by ship builders the whole windscreen surround etc is made of brass!

Blimey! Hubby has just explained what you mean. Fascinating!

Does it still rotate? Does it open up like a window, as well? And, next time we catch up at Glasto, please may I have a sit in it? Pretty please?

Hey Dusty, i came up to your setup on Wednesday or Thursday afternoon to say hello, but couldn't see anyone in plaster, and bottled out of asking if you were around. Next year, i'm definitelygoing to overcome my fear ;) 

Somewhat incredibly it looks like everyone might have dodged a bullet by the festival being last weekend. Although very muddy there was relatively little rain, whereas the weekend before and this weekend has been lashing it down. 

I don't think this year will go down in history as the year we got lucky, but compared to what came before and after that seems to be the case. 

23 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I thought so! I came over for a look at the truck in daylight but you weren't around. I said to my friend that I thought it might be one of those rotating windows. I remember seeing them on a Destroyer at the Navy days when I was a kid. 

I came up on Friday to rescue a caravan.  Saw you guys but you were busy and I'd spent an hour and a half slithering around in Shangri-la crew camping mud pit failing to get anywhere  near the caravan so didn't stop to say hello. Feel for you guys trying to get everything off site in those conditions.