The state of the ground

Sawdusty surfer

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

haha fucking hell you people!

You'd have spend the whole week in your tent in the foetal position in 2007.

Amen to this

2007 was my first year and I wasn't prepared at all but I've been every year since which shows what a great time I had.

I only took jeans, trainers and a Nike waterproof jacket so after 10 minutes I was wet through. I did have a few moments thinking why the hell am I here in this but these few and far between.

Now I have walking boots, gaiters, good quality waterproof jacket and waterproof trousers and I'm going to have a great time.

Be prepared for the worse and you will be fine

I'm gonna head to Decathlon at some point today and get some wet weather tent pegs. If the ground is that sodden it might not take normal pegs? Definitely forgoing the trolley looking at those paths in.  Time to start the survival planning and make the best of a bad sitch i recks.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

has there been that bad mud since 2008? 

Bit churned Friday morning 2009 in places, nothing remotely serious.
Park, Silver Hayes and a few low lying points got pretty shitty in 2011.

Both years I was sat on my backside on the grass in shorts the next day.

1 minute ago, russycarps said:

there was one year when it was dead muddy on the thursday actually. Might have been 2011? 

Yeah. Pissed it down intermittently for the week before, pissed it down Wednesday Morning. Then pissed it down Friday evening because U2 were on. Glorious sunshine and trainers on Sunday.

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

there was one year when it was dead muddy on the thursday actually. Might have been 2011? 

Yeah 11 was pretty bad in certain parts up until the weekend. It didn't really start drying out properly until Saturday and Sunday was baking.

22 minutes ago, Abensie said:

I'm gonna head to Decathlon at some point today and get some wet weather tent pegs. If the ground is that sodden it might not take normal pegs? Definitely forgoing the trolley looking at those paths in.  Time to start the survival planning and make the best of a bad sitch i recks.

Is there such a thing?  any advice as to what sort I should go for would be appreciated, was thinking of getting some extra long pegs.

Looking at the weather it looks like we hopefully don't need to prepare anything unusual in terms of coping with actual rain, so just taking care of your feet is the main issue - aside from decent socks and plasters, anything else?

2 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Is there such a thing?  any advice as to what sort I should go for would be appreciated, was thinking of getting some extra long pegs.

Looking at the weather it looks like we hopefully don't need to prepare anything unusual in terms of coping with actual rain, so just taking care of your feet is the main issue - aside from decent socks and plasters, anything else?

Talc - dust a good bit in before putting clean socks on every morning, helps keep things dry!  (Provided your boots are waterproof to start with, obvs :))

9 minutes ago, MilkyJoe said:

Yeah 11 was pretty bad in certain parts up until the weekend. It didn't really start drying out properly until Saturday and Sunday was baking.

The had a new approach to dealing with the mud by the market stalls in 2011- basically ended up scraping away all the mud with JCBs, leaving just stones and concrete underneath, and put  down chippings everywhere else. Made a big difference 

8 minutes ago, p.pete said:

take shit loads of black bin bags!

8 minutes ago, p.pete said:

My experience is, make sure your tent is pitched well, solid. Take time getting it right. Wellies are a must - i think even considering walking boots with these pics we've seen is mental - just an opinion i have formed from years of experience. Personally i always take a full body Quechua poncho. You can stand in the rain for hours in one and they dry quickly, I would not go without one - to the point which i have bought a spare this year. Thick socks to stop feet moving in wellies - lots of plasters to head off blister BEFORE they get bad. I also bag up two changes of clothes in double plastic bags for emergency.  Maybe OTT but those are my tips.

11 minutes ago, Dannytc said:

I heard it's all been planned to be wet and muddy, by having a muddy glasto, it helps save cost to move the location, they're just going to slide it along to the new site.

I knew it was a conspiracy! <Dons tinfoil hat>