The Comedy / Cabaret / Theatre / Circus recommendations thread

DeanoL

7 minutes ago, KernowKrusty said:

All very normal at Jonathans 'workshop'. 

Normal to him..... Completely out of my comfort zone!! But it's just one of those things you do at Glastonbury. 

Im just gutted that there is no Woody Bop Muddy again this year .... Always my highlight and the perfect way to end the festival 

15 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Moved up to the big room at The Hive this year! Already got my ticket!

Ha, me too! He's doing last year's show at a bigger venue too!

I basically found him by going to Fast Fringe one night, where he literally did two minutes. It was our first show of the evening, I was sober and I don't think I've laughed that hard in years. I love my comedy, but it was one of those moments where you know you've stumbled across something special. Immediately bought tickets to the Hive show and it was so good, I took my parents to the same show two weeks later!

It's just brilliantly performed, stupidly silly and so massively enjoyable. I've been shouting about him ever since.

17 hours ago, Stu H said:

Please PLEASE go and see Spencer Jones Presents The Herbert

The funniest thing I saw at the Edinburgh Fringe last year. 

Also, not for those easily offended, but Frank Sanazi is damn funny! A guy dressed as Hitler singing Frank Sinatra comedy versions

Wouldn't mind seeing Spencer but as his slots are only 10 minutes long you'd have to be in the proximity to go and see him.

Is that a typical slot length for his routine?

His Fringe show last year was around 50 minutes - I've seen some debate that it was possibly a bit short to qualify for the main Edinburgh comedy prize, as it was otherwise a surprising omission from the shortlist.

His Xmas Short for Sky is also meant to be very good, but I've not seen it (yet - will hold off till Xmas this year).

Paul Currie is cropping up in a few places and isn't a million miles away in terms of outré / Gaulier-style clowning, but I dunno if he's in the top tier of acts of that nature.

1 hour ago, Stu H said:

Ha, me too! He's doing last year's show at a bigger venue too!

I basically found him by going to Fast Fringe one night, where he literally did two minutes. It was our first show of the evening, I was sober and I don't think I've laughed that hard in years. I love my comedy, but it was one of those moments where you know you've stumbled across something special. Immediately bought tickets to the Hive show and it was so good, I took my parents to the same show two weeks later!

It's just brilliantly performed, stupidly silly and so massively enjoyable. I've been shouting about him ever since.

In full-on Fringe planning mode here. 

Can I make it between Underbelly Topside and Pleasance Courtyard in 20 minutes to catch Show A and Show B type logistics, googling reviews of US comedians to see whether they're worth a punt, squares on spreadsheets sort of stuff.

23 hours ago, KernowKrusty said:

Jonathan Kay. Amazing. Tom Stade. 

Jonathan Kay - so that's who it is! Thanks very much for that info. We saw him leading people around, in 2013, I think. They were made to sing outside one of the food stalls "Just one organic pizza" fantastic stuff.

On 6/16/2016 at 1:25 PM, DeanoL said:

Sensation Seekers - Abandoman play this at 14:00 every day, improvised hip-hop comedy. Great fun. Also Bread and Roses 5pm Friday and Saturday.

Was recommended to me today by a friend at work, who sent this video: 

34 minutes ago, gedah said:

Jonathan Kay - so that's who it is! Thanks very much for that info. We saw him leading people around, in 2013, I think. They were made to sing outside one of the food stalls "Just one organic pizza" fantastic stuff.

Must be quite entertaining to watch so long as you are not the 'victim'

31 minutes ago, Jennings74 said:

Must be quite entertaining to watch so long as you are not the 'victim'

it looked great. Then we were distracted by a guy with a big lump of clay in his lap who then proceeded to create weird animal helmet/full face heads using a cheese wire, a bottle of water and his hands - all on his own head. Love Glastonbury.

23 minutes ago, gedah said:

it looked great. Then we were distracted by a guy with a big lump of clay in his lap who then proceeded to create weird animal helmet/full face heads using a cheese wire, a bottle of water and his hands - all on his own head. Love Glastonbury.

It's possibly the most bonkers place on the planet if you stumble into the strange and wonderful side of the festival 

On ‎16‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 5:15 PM, KernowKrusty said:

Jonathan Kay. Amazing. Tom Stade. 

Jonathan Kay - absolute lunatic. He had us all tiptoeing around the site hiding behind bins. The next year we were all chickens, trying to lay a huge collective egg. Not someone to watch if you're wanting to chill, but defo someone to watch if you want the madness that's Glastonbury. :)