Football 16-17

kaosmark2

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Depends which way you look at it - £35m is worth a lot less now than it was when Benteke was bought. 

depends if you're buying outside the UK or not. :P

I blame those scum you support.
(the scum this time aren't west ham :P)

Edited by eFestivals

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TheGayTent said:

Depends which way you look at it - £35m is worth a lot less now than it was when Benteke was bought. 

So anyway, do you (personally) want Benteke?

I reckon he'll be far less of a misfit with west ham than he is with Liverpool, and he's a quality player. Even in that badly-fitting team his scoring rate was still excellent.

I'm pleased for him that he's got willing takers anyway. The one who's gonna be harder for Liverpool to shift is Mario.

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

depends if you're buying outside the UK or not. :P

I blame those scum you support.
(the scum this time aren't west ham :P)

Not just because of sterling falling (the currency not the shit player), but also because of the inflation of transfer fees caused by the new TV deal. 

Edited by TheGayTent

With the imminent arrival of Tore from Besiktas to go with Feghouli, Lanzini, and Payet, we certainly have plenty of attacking midfielders...unless of course Payet is off...

Get one, possibly two good strikers in, plus a utility type defender and I'll be happy with our summer transfer business. 

3 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

..unless of course Payet is off...

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he was, so he can finish his career as a French hero playing in France ... if they win on Sunday of course.

I can't say I'd blame him after having been a bit part for most of his career. It must be great for players who get glory at the end of their career, after they've probably given up on getting it.

13 hours ago, sdvruxk said:

define an 'interesting' player?

Maureen is so fucking lazy in the transfer market. If its not a world megastar that any cnut could buy with enough cash, its whoever J Mendes throws his way.

Long shot, but are there any Motherwell or Northern Irish fans on here?

Im an Oldham Athletic season ticket holder. We have just got Stephen Robinson the assistant from Motherwell and Northern Island's assistant as our new Boss. 

Brought with him Connor Ripley, Josh Law and Lee Erwin from Motherwell with him.

(We now have 6 players)

Any thoughts on the players or Boss are welcome as we know little to none about them.

Aaron Hughes is signing on Monday too. (At least that's one I know)

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

4 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Long shot, but are there any Motherwell or Northern Irish fans on here?

Im an Oldham Athletic season ticket holder. We have just got Stephen Robinson the assistant from Motherwell and Northern Island's assistant as our new Boss. 

Brought with him Connor Ripley, Josh Law and Lee Erwin from Motherwell with him.

(We now have 6 players)

Any thoughts on the players or Boss are welcome as we know little to none about them.

Aaron Hughes is signing on Monday too. (At least that's one I know)

Not a Motherwell fan but I know a little bit about them. Robinson seemed to be pretty highly rated at Motherwell, I read the other day that Stephen Craigan, their under 20s manager, described him as the best signing the club has made in the last few years. His time as assistant under Ian Baraclough wasn't too successful with Baraclough just keeping Motherwell up then being sacked early into last season but they played some great stuff under Mark McGhee for the rest of the season, although obviously it's hard to say how much of that is down to Robinson. I think it's pretty clear he was well respected by the players though given he's already managed to bring in Ripley, Law and Erwin.

As for the three players, I'd say Ripley and Erwin are better signings than Law. Law had a decent couple of seasons at Motherwell and I don't remember any of their fans hating him but equally don't think many will be bothered that he's left, should do a reasonable job at Oldham though. Ripley had a decent season last year, seemed like a pretty good keeper although he was prone to the odd mistake now and then, I thought Middlesbrough might have tried to send him to a championship team this season and I think he'll do well at league one. Erwin is a strange one as he looked really good when he broke into the Motherwell team a couple of years ago but he wasn't ready for such a big move last summer and seems to have stalled a bit, can hardly blame him for making that move though. He's still young and with a run of games I think he'll do well, he's tall and strong but also got a reasonable amount of pace on him too. I think he's mainly remembered up here for his antics at the end of the play off game last year where Motherwell bodied Rangers 6-1 over two legs and Erwin got into a fight with a Rangers player.

13 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Not a Motherwell fan but I know a little bit about them. Robinson seemed to be pretty highly rated at Motherwell, I read the other day that Stephen Craigan, their under 20s manager, described him as the best signing the club has made in the last few years. His time as assistant under Ian Baraclough wasn't too successful with Baraclough just keeping Motherwell up then being sacked early into last season but they played some great stuff under Mark McGhee for the rest of the season, although obviously it's hard to say how much of that is down to Robinson. I think it's pretty clear he was well respected by the players though given he's already managed to bring in Ripley, Law and Erwin.

As for the three players, I'd say Ripley and Erwin are better signings than Law. Law had a decent couple of seasons at Motherwell and I don't remember any of their fans hating him but equally don't think many will be bothered that he's left, should do a reasonable job at Oldham though. Ripley had a decent season last year, seemed like a pretty good keeper although he was prone to the odd mistake now and then, I thought Middlesbrough might have tried to send him to a championship team this season and I think he'll do well at league one. Erwin is a strange one as he looked really good when he broke into the Motherwell team a couple of years ago but he wasn't ready for such a big move last summer and seems to have stalled a bit, can hardly blame him for making that move though. He's still young and with a run of games I think he'll do well, he's tall and strong but also got a reasonable amount of pace on him too. I think he's mainly remembered up here for his antics at the end of the play off game last year where Motherwell bodied Rangers 6-1 over two legs and Erwin got into a fight with a Rangers player.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Everyone seems to speak highly of Robinson, Barraclough is coming in as his assistant (Role Reversal). The Stephen Craigan comment is encouraging.

The fight is brought up on our messageboard. Ironically Bilel Moshni (who Erwin fights with) was thrown out of Southend after getting sent off at our place on a tuesday night, and having to get the train back after threatening his manager.

Ive seen a youtube vid (they can be very misleading), but Erwin looks like he has something about him. Crap defending though (scottish first division rather than prem)

Robbo (might as well start calling him that now) came across well in his first interview. Admitted that he didn't apply. We approached him.

14 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. Everyone seems to speak highly of Robinson, Barraclough is coming in as his assistant (Role Reversal). The Stephen Craigan comment is encouraging.

The fight is brought up on our messageboard. Ironically Bilel Moshni (who Erwin fights with) was thrown out of Southend after getting sent off at our place on a tuesday night, and having to get the train back after threatening his manager.

Ive seen a youtube vid (they can be very misleading), but Erwin looks like he has something about him. Crap defending though (scottish first division rather than prem)

Robbo (might as well start calling him that now) came across well in his first interview. Admitted that he didn't apply. We approached him.

Yeah I'd read about Baraclough being his assistant, he obviously seems to get on well with Robinson and while he had a lot of flaws as a manager he managed to get the players to produce two brilliant performances in their two biggest games under him. 

The other Erwin thing I meant to mention was his second goal in this video, this was a few years ago before he broke into the Motherwell team and at a lower level but it's still a fantastic finish