Football 16-17

kaosmark2

5 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

I see what you are saying but for a club like Utd 2nd place is not good enough. This is the longest title drought since the 1st PL win.

I think you have to look at it in context though. When united were building up their haul of titles in the 90/00 they often had only one competitor. I agree they need to progress in the league, but wouldn't say winning the league is the only measure of success.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, TheGayTent said:

But it is for every other club?!

No. If Utd win the PL and CL next season then the other top dogs of City and Chelsea will have failed. 

For the top table eaters scrapping over the PL and CL is what its about and you either win or fail to do so. Its why they spend the big bucks. 

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

No. If Utd win the PL and CL next season then the other top dogs of City and Chelsea will have failed. 

For the top table eaters scrapping over the PL and CL is what its about and you either win or fail to do so.

I disagree. 

Just now, ThomThomDrum said:

Its why they spend the big bucks. 

Is it? For most (owners) it's about speculating to accumulate - very little to do with glory. 

Just now, TheGayTent said:

Is it? For most (owners) it's about speculating to accumulate - very little to do with glory. 

The glory allows for that accumulation to accumulate faster. A winning Man Utd makes more money around the world than a loosing Man Utd. Thats how Utd got to where they are today. The owners are very interested in that. They want to be at the likes of the CL final showing off their big boy toy and having it exposed in the biggest of shop windows around the world 

2 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

The glory allows for that accumulation to accumulate faster. A winning Man Utd makes more money around the world than a loosing Man Utd. Thats how Utd got to where they are today. The owners are very interested in that. They want to be at the likes of the CL final showing off their big boy toy and having it exposed in the biggest of shop windows around the world 

Obviously winning is good for the brand and losing isn't. That's not up for discussion. 

What is, is what constitutes winning and what constitutes losing?

You're taking it literally and suggesting anything but winning the league and/or CL is regarded as failure.

I suggest that's bollocks. The difference between winning and runners up is negligible. 

Where as CL in comparison to EL is enormous. 

8 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

You're taking it literally and suggesting anything but winning the league and/or CL is regarded as failure.

I suggest that's bollocks. The difference between winning and runners up is negligible. 

No what Im claiming is that after 5/6 years of not winning titles and spending shits loads of money if Utd dont win a title next year then its a failure. Not so much as an isolated season, but in the context of those years compounding such. A massive club like Utd with the money they have should be winning big titles on a regular basis. Real Madrid fans were not happy with not winning the league for the past while until they finally did this year even if they were finishing 2nd. They viewed it as not acceptable and thats even with winning 2 CLs in those leagueless 4 years.........

5 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

Real Madrid fans were not happy with not winning the league for the past while until they finally did this year even if they were finishing 2nd. They viewed it as not acceptable and thats even with winning 2 CLs in those leagueless 4 years.........

Nothing like a sweeping statement....

We'll agree to disagree. 

3 hours ago, The Nal said:

Tough season. 64 games played I think. Worst period in living memory yet Utd have won more in the last 12 months than Liverpool and Arsenal have combined in the last decade.

Have to say, after initially seeing some decent ball being played - particularly mid season - the standard has dipped dramatically over the last couple of months. Hopefully just down to injuries. 

And the teams mentioned above are still stronger at the moment. The league is the true reflection of a teams strength so there is an element of papering over the cracks here a bit.

Last couple months? April and May, like?

:turkey:

7 hours ago, mjsell said:

I'm confused, are United including Community shields as trophies or not?

7 hours ago, The Nal said:

I'm not. Mourinho is. 

Well Arsenal won the Community Shield last year, too, so United haven't even won more in the last season than Arsenal have in the last 4. Never mind more than Arsenal and Liverpool have combined over the last decade.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

pretty sure I did too - I think I had Arsenal instead of Spurs.

You at one point even fell for the charms of Moany and his cash. You gave em more chance of winning the league than Pep and Citeh.

Utds spending and the hiring of Moan bags pulled the wool over most folks eyes. Tonnes of folk on here and elsewhere were giving them a massive shout to win the whole thing (and I myself had a real fear they would rise from the ashes). If memory serves most at the start of the season thought it would be a fight between Moany and Pep. I say nearly every one had Utd in the top 4. Sure, their starting shedule to the league was piss easy and within the first month many thought they would dominate. 

It will be interesting to see who Utd end up spunking on during the summer and if it works next season. I would really not look forward to a dominate Jose team playing paint drying football winning stuff. <_<

6 minutes ago, ThomThomDrum said:

It will be interesting to see who Utd end up spunking on during the summer and if it works next season. I would really not look forward to a dominate Jose team playing paint drying football winning stuff. <_<

After all his "have to play football a certain way at Utd" chat earlier in the season I think hes obviously got a pass for the 2nd half ish of the season considering injuries and whats been achieved. 

Utd fans won't take a full season of the sort of ball played on Wednesday night. Strategic away performance wins etc are fine, Fergie did that, but playing risk free dour ball and not finishing teams off at home isn't a runner. 

So I don't think Jose has a choice.

3 minutes ago, The Nal said:

So I don't think Jose has a choice.

Interesting, as I get a distinct impression Jose dont give a fuck and he will do it his way irrespective. He aint the sort who likes to be dictated to. Further to this, I think Jose is not the manager you hire if you want a certain style of ball played. Ye should have usurped Citeh for Pep if thats what Utd wanted. 

1 hour ago, ThomThomDrum said:

You at one point even fell for the charms of Moany and his cash. You gave em more chance of winning the league than Pep and Citeh.

less the cash I'd say. I made the mistake of thinking there might have been something special.

Edited by eFestivals

58 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Yep. He needs to make an exception. Just like he did at Madrid. 

Time will tell. I'll willing to wager we'll get more of the same. Huge money spent, shite footie. Trophies that used to be "mickey mouse" now a sign of winning mentality. JM whining like the entitled git he is.