Football 16-17

kaosmark2

5 hours ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Wonder how those Leicester players are feeling tonight? 

They should have given him the season and Europe campaign but I guess the higher ups cannot risk getting relegated due to the financial implications.  

Edit: Think this'll almost certainly see them drop now

I think if any bottom half premiership club is built on foundations that they can't absorb a relegation they are putting the club at huge risk. Relegation isn't the end of the world and those relegated are given a huge unfair advantage.

I work in Leicestershire and one of the patients I see said it perfectly. "I would much rather finish 1st one season and 20th the next than 12th every season".

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I think if any bottom half premiership club is built on foundations that they can't absorb a relegation they are putting the club at huge risk. Relegation isn't the end of the world and those relegated are given a huge unfair advantage.

I work in Leicestershire and one of the patients I see said it perfectly. "I would much rather finish 1st one season and 20th the next than 12th every season".

6 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

which only tells me that a group of mostly-average players have started to believe the hype from last season. :(

Spot on fellas.

Should we assume the champions put a relegation clause in Vardys new contract and anyone else who got improved terms.

Great scenes with their party in the park and the opera guy on the pitch wearing their strip.

Still in the champions league, not in the bottom 3 and they sack the man. Shocker. Did someone on here not take 10's on them being relegated ?

10 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Spot on fellas.

Should we assume the champions put a relegation clause in Vardys new contract and anyone else who got improved terms.

Great scenes with their party in the park and the opera guy on the pitch wearing their strip.

Still in the champions league, not in the bottom 3 and they sack the man. Shocker. Did someone on here not take 10's on them being relegated ?

I do think that it underplays their problems. Theyve lost 5 in a row and their only win was the derby replay. They are above swansea and hull at 17, but are playing significantly worse than them with only 2 points difference

Assuming claudio couldnt solve the issues (and he pretty much said in interiees before that he didnt know what to do to change things) a roll of the dice with a new manager is the only option

Just now, zahidf said:

I do think that it underplays their problems. Theyve lost 5 in a row and their only win was the derby replay. They are above swansea and hull at 17, but are playing significantly worse than them with only 2 points difference

Assuming claudio couldnt solve the issues (and he pretty much said in interiees before that he didnt know what to do to change things) a roll of the dice with a new manager is the only option

Disagree mate. I know what you mean by " their problems " but I wish my team had them.

As I said last night, I hope their fans are at the stadium.

They have a champions league tie in a fortnight. They are Leicester. They won the league by 10 points last year. They are Leicester.

Who out there has got a better chance of pulling a relegation escape off than Ranieri ?

Vardys goal on Wednesday could....have been a turning point. The fact he's not there in a fortnight when the champs league music rings round that stadium is a shocker.

Relegation feels like a fitting end now for me.

21 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

Disagree mate. I know what you mean by " their problems " but I wish my team had them.

As I said last night, I hope their fans are at the stadium.

They have a champions league tie in a fortnight. They are Leicester. They won the league by 10 points last year. They are Leicester.

Who out there has got a better chance of pulling a relegation escape off than Ranieri ?

Vardys goal on Wednesday could....have been a turning point. The fact he's not there in a fortnight when the champs league music rings round that stadium is a shocker.

Relegation feels like a fitting end now for me.

Thoroughly agree comfy, although suspect we are too idealistic for the real world.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I disagree, Leicester in a battle to save their premiership status is where that group of players should be based on talent. Just as teams playing great doesnt mean someone is an amazing manager, a team playing poorly doesnt make someone clueless.  I  believe someone did research into whether changing a manager makes any different in a relegation battle and found it made no difference, we just remember the ones who do.

I've mixed feelings about the Leicester. On one hand it's easy to be outraged that their most successful manager has been sacked after achieving the impossible. He will, quite rightly, be remembered for last years incredible achievement above all else.

On the other, he did appear to be a dead man walking. I don't buy this "they're only Leicester" stuff. If you've won league and qualified for the Champions League then of course your targets should be altered, as your status as a football club changed. The was reflected by their net spend of the summer, of £21.2m (£63.3 spent, £41.8 received). This was the 8th highest in the league. You can't tell me that the 8th highest spenders in the league, and reigning champions would have spent this kind of money in the summer with the target of only trying to stay up? I think a realistic target would probably have been to achieve a top half finish. They are way short of this, and show no signs of improvement. I'm sure the owners would have set their expectations to Claudio at the start of the year, as happens at all football clubs.

In the summer they spent £63.3m on the likes of Ron-Robert Zieler, Luis Hernandez, Nampalys Mendy, Ahmed Musa, Bartosz Kapustka and Islam Slimani. We know the head of recruitment has left, but how many of these were Ranieri's choices? If the answer is most, then that must be seen as another failure.

As Zahadf says above, he cut a pretty forlorn figure in his post-match interviews. A man completely out of ideas, who probably doesn't know why the same group of players hasn't performed. I expect the owners have seen this as well, and decided it's time for a fresh approach. Whether that's the right thing to do or not, time will tell.

Personally I quite want them to go down, but that's only because I've got a few quid on it!

1 hour ago, mjsell said:

This is one of the worst hings to happen in modern football. It has got me pretty angry over the whole thing.

Absolute fucking c**ts of the highest order.

It's saddened me, it's not angered me.

The writing has sort-of been on the wall for a few weeks, but I think it would have shown a LOT of class to have let him finish the season, however it panned out.

Given how he won them the league when it seemed impossible, if he also gave them the drop it's merely the reverse of that.

He gets to walk away without having relegated them tho, so the egg is on the board's face if they still go down.

15 minutes ago, big__phil said:

Even if that were true (I'm not saying it's not), it's still a lot of money spent on quite a few players who haven't performed.

No it isn't. £20m is fuck all. It's Andre Ayew. For perspective, the team finishing bottom this year will pick up £100m

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

I

In the summer they spent £63.3m on the likes of Ron-Robert Zieler, Luis Hernandez, Nampalys Mendy, Ahmed Musa, Bartosz Kapustka and Islam Slimani. We know the head of recruitment has left, but how many of these were Ranieri's choices? If the answer is most, then that must be seen as another failure.

Those players though are no worse (in many cases better) than the players who won the league the year before. Leicester have regressed to the mean and are where they should be.  They may have had a decent net spend, although I remember QPR at one point having a small net spend but investing huge on wages, so that in isolation only means so much.  The amount they had to spend was never going to replace Kante.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It's saddened me, it's not angered me.

Yeah I might have gone slightly over the top. Rough morning.

Still don't like the decision. though. It is one that is purely driven by the fear of losing money. The owners wanted and appointed Ranieri to try and increase the clubs global recognition and marketability, Ranieri has acheived a million times what they would have expected in that department and even if relegated they still would be way up on those expectations, so why not forget the loss of Prem money for a season (I would fully expect them to bounce straight back with the backing they have and the parachute payments) and go with sentiment - he will forever be their greatest ever manager, so treat him like it.

Just now, pink_triangle said:

Those players though are no worse (in many cases better) than the players who won the league the year before. Leicester have regressed to the mean and are where they should be.  They may have had a decent net spend, although I remember QPR at one point having a small net spend but investing huge on wages, so that in isolation only means so much.  The amount they had to spend was never going to replace Kante.

This. How fucking good is Kante. His premier league win percentage is an absolute joke and he single handedly got Danny Drinkwater a England cap, whilst making Huth and Morgan look like world beating centre backs - now they all look absolutely dump (bit harsh - they now look back to the level where they have always been)

5 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah I might have gone slightly over the top. Rough morning.

Still don't like the decision. though. It is one that is purely driven by the fear of losing money. The owners wanted and appointed Ranieri to try and increase the clubs global recognition and marketability, Ranieri has acheived a million times what they would have expected in that department and even if relegated they still would be way up on those expectations, so why not forget the loss of Prem money for a season (I would fully expect them to bounce straight back with the backing they have and the parachute payments) and go with sentiment - he will forever be their greatest ever manager, so treat him like it.

Some people seem to put relegation on a par with a tragedy.  Teams get relegated every season, thats part of the game. Some of them like Burnley go straight back up again. The unfair parachute payments are surely an adequate compensation.

They also won the league with a load of bang average players. Bang average players is Leicesters level.

But they're not playing like bang average players, they're playing like bad players.

Obviously losing Kante is a massive blow, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse for the rest of them. Mahrez is, clearly, more talented than his performances this year are showing. Why couldn't the manager get any sort of performance out of him this year? That is, ultimately, his job, and he's failed.

Southampton have sold loads of their 'best' players over the last few years, but the manager has always managed to replace them. What's different with Leicester? Poor planning? Poor recruitment? You can't tell me they didn't envisage somebody might have wanted to try and sign their best players.

Some people seem to put relegation on a par with a tragedy.  Teams get relegated every season, thats part of the game. Some of them like Burnley go straight back up again. The unfair parachute payments are surely an adequate compensation.

Just now, pryce said:

The championship isn't the end of the world like people make out it is.

Yeah, its in some teams best interests to have a relagation once in a while. And barring the intial shock of not being at the top table even the fans get over it pretty quick when they realise the standard of the championship is very good and it is often a far more enjoyable season. A guy I work with is a Newcastle fan and he says (and you can see) he is far more interested in the team this season than he has been for a while.