Football 16-17

kaosmark2

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

any ideas what he's reputed to have said/done?

Said something to a Wolves player in the dying minutes of a match. No real details as to what. Here's the bbc's bit:

" The breach, according to the FA's charge against the former Liverpool and Swansea player, related to Rule E3(1), and was an "Aggravated Breach as defined in Rule E3(2), as it included reference to ethnic origin and/or race and/or nationality". "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38366883

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

paedos abused kids in the 70s and 80s? Who kinew...? :P

The only really surprising thing about this is that it took so long to come out. 

Thankfully things are much improved, and there's far less chance of similar happening now.

I think some were in the 90s and some of the abusers are still employed in footie...

19 hours ago, The Nal said:

He called Romain Saiss (a Moroccan) a "cous cous nonce"

I think this is my favourite piece of racism in football thatI have heard (and i realise what a ridiculous sentence that is)

If anything I'm quite impressed by his culinary and geographical knowledge.

Question that got asked today in my office, in what other profession would you get fined 100 grand for this?

10 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I think this is my favourite piece of racism in football thatI have heard (and i realise what a ridiculous sentence that is)

Question that got asked today in my office, in what other profession would you get fined 100 grand for this?

Any other sport where players are millionaires. I suppose its the equivalent of calling an Asian a "rice eating paedo" or a black American a "fried chicken eating fag" something. 

Imagine if Phil Mickelson called Tiger Woods a "cornbread eating nonce" on the golf course? 

Edited by The Nal

8 minutes ago, mjsell said:

yep - it was that angle I was coming from when laughing about him being 'cosmopolitan'. As far as it goes, it's more imaginative with its use of national stereotyping than I'd have expected from a footballer on a racism charge.

More troubling is that he appears to been formally given a free pass for the 'nonce' bit, which from how I'm seeing it was the part that was meant far more as the abusive part. 

Funnily enough, i've seen a vegetarian abused (tho only jokingly) in the past as a 'cous cous eating' something or other, tho there was no chance of a racism charge sticking on that even if it had been meant as (not-joking) abuse. It's a funny old world.

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Any other sport where players are millionaires. I suppose its the equivalent of calling an Asian a "rice eating paedo" or a black American a "fried chicken eating fag" something. 

Imagine if Phil Mickelson called Tiger Woods a "cornbread eating nonce" on the golf course? 

I don't know what it is about the word nonce, but I don't find it as offensive as paedo or the like. I find it more tongue in cheek i guess. I'm prepared to get slated for that.

And yeah any high profile sportsperson would incur the same penalty, but what about less public jobs - Lawyers? Local government?

What would the penalty be for the average joe in the street as well? A small fine and a criminal record? I genuinely don't know how these things are dealt with.

5 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I don't know what it is about the word nonce, but I don't find it as offensive as paedo or the like. I find it more tongue in cheek i guess. I'm prepared to get slated for that.

And yeah any high profile sportsperson would incur the same penalty, but what about less public jobs - Lawyers? Local government?

What would the penalty be for the average joe in the street as well? A small fine and a criminal record? I genuinely don't know how these things are dealt with.

In UK law, derogatory comments that reference race or nationality are classed as racist.

So (from The Simpsons) 'cheese eating surrender money' used against someone French gets you nicked.

Edited by eFestivals

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

In UK law, derogatory comments that reference race or nationality are classed as racist.

So (from The Simpsons) 'cheese eating surrender money' used against someone French gets you nicked.

Yeah makes sense - if not layered with grey areas, but realistically what would be the sentance/penalty be for such things?

32 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I'd imagine a prosecuting lawyer calling a Moroccan defendant a "cous cous nonce" would get him fined/suspended/sacked/disbarred. Same for a counselor in a public meeting. 

Just like if I called someone in my work the same I'd probably be sacked. 

Edited by The Nal

33 minutes ago, The Nal said:

I'd imagine a prosecuting lawyer calling a Moroccan defendant a "cous cous nonce" would get him fined/suspended/sacked/disbarred. Same for a counselor in a public meeting. 

Just like if I called someone in my work the same I'd probably be sacked. 

you'd probably be alright if they were eating a salad while buggering a child. :P

43 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah makes sense - if not layered with grey areas, but realistically what would be the sentance/penalty be for such things?

"a wee Welsh b*****d" = £250.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/fan-fined-for-racism-after-shout-at-celtic-s-welsh-star-1-1094839

30 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Glad to see safe standing back in the news. I have a lot of respect for the Hillsborough families, but think they are wrong on this issue.

Agreed. The modern rail seating solutions are lightyears from the pens that contributed to the disaster. 

17 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

So the palace chairman says he wants more expansive football and thinks the solution is big Sam !

That's not what he said (unless that was a while ago)

he has said the expansive football of pardew has failed and that they want to tone it back again

9 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Glad to see safe standing back in the news. I have a lot of respect for the Hillsborough families, but think they are wrong on this issue.

Couldn't agree more. Safe standing is called safe standing for a reason. I've been annoyed about the lack of movement on this topic for years. It's not just the rail seating stands element of it that is safer but the general advancements in things like turnstiles that make the whole thing so frustrating