Football 16-17

kaosmark2

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

I find it crazy that hoddle is being mentioned though. He's not done anything except ramble on sky! No connection with the modern game at all. And it's not like his horrible comments about disabled people have disappeared. 

He's a member of the old boys club so gets a lot of mentions in the media. He won't get it.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

wenger is in the frame apparently

I can't see him leaving Arsenal mid-season, although if Southgate isn't a complete disaster maybe they ask him to carry on until the end of the season (I think it's only one extra game, in March) and persuade Wenger to leave Arsenal when his contract expires.

Edited by mrtourette

23 minutes ago, thetime said:

Wouldn't they just do that straight away? Rather than giving Southgate 4 games.

Nah, they'd want to go thru the motions, to give the impression they're making the right choice. ;)

The real story here isn't Big Sham being dodgy, it's about the FA failing to properly carry out their duties in stopping dodgy deals. Sam's taken the hit to try and divert attention away from the FA's failings.

Not sure it's going to work tho, it looks like the genie is finally out of the bottle.

15 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Yeah I think the FA will be hoping Southgate does well (or at least enough) in the 4 games - so wins in the qualifiers, then give it him til the end of the season and wait for Wenger.

It's no secret that Wenger has plenty of admirers within the FA, and if he were available he'd be offered it in a heartbeat. The question is, would Wenger give assurances now that he'd leave Arsenal at the end of the season? Considering the fact that Sam won what looks to be the hardest game in the group, do they ACTUALLY need a full time manager in for the rest of the season if they view him as the outstanding candidate?

4 minutes ago, big__phil said:

It's no secret that Wenger has plenty of admirers within the FA, and if he were available he'd be offered it in a heartbeat. The question is, would Wenger give assurances now that he'd leave Arsenal at the end of the season? Considering the fact that Sam won what looks to be the hardest game in the group, do they ACTUALLY need a full time manager in for the rest of the season if they view him as the outstanding candidate?

Well yeah, thats the part of this that makes it slightly more confusing. This is now coming at a time where the anti-Wenger feelings at Arsenal are at a substantial lower level than the end of last season, or even when Alladyce was appointed. What happens if Arsenal now hit a real good patch of consistent form, Wenger being Wenger may see that as justifcation that he could/should stay for another year or two.

The time is right for him to leave at the end of the season - whether he wins anything or not. I've always been a fan that has been in the 'Wenger should never be sacked' camp and should see out his contract and leave on good terms - the problem has always been Wengers stubborness. If the promise of the England job is something that means that Wenger will leave on happy terms then I'm all for it. And from an England perspective, he is certainly a better candidate than a lot that are being discussed.

Wenger getting the England job is very neat. It allows Arsene to walk away with a bit of pride. It allows Arsenal to not have to have that awkward conversation. It allows Arsenal plenty of time to choose a replacement. It allows the FA to get their man without having to spend a lot of dough buying a manager out of his contract. 

It's neat. It's very neat. It's so neat, that it won't happen! 

12 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Wenger getting the England job is very neat. It allows Arsene to walk away with a bit of pride. It allows Arsenal to not have to have that awkward conversation. It allows Arsenal plenty of time to choose a replacement. It allows the FA to get their man without having to spend a lot of dough buying a manager out of his contract. 

Would Wenger want it?

I'm under the impression that the only thing which might prise him away from Arsenal would be the French job.

12 minutes ago, TheGayTent said:

Perfectly sums it up. I've stuck a few quid on him anyway though.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Would Wenger want it?

I'm under the impression that the only thing which might prise him away from Arsenal would be the French job.

I think he's said nice things about the job in the past, and would welcome the challenge. It would be his last job in management, so he's not got a great deal to lose really.

I'm personally not convinced though, and I don't think international management would suit him. Would love to be proved wrong though...

Just now, big__phil said:

I think he's said nice things about the job in the past, and would welcome the challenge. It would be his last job in management, so he's not got a great deal to lose really.

I'm personally not convinced though, and I don't think international management would suit him. Would love to be proved wrong though...

yeah, but his default is to say nice things. I've never really taken those "I'm flattered to be linked with it" words as him really showing an interest,

I think that's just him being respectful to the country where he works.

1 minute ago, DareToDibble said:

The most amazing part of all this for me is the fact that the English media always seem to do whatever they can do disrupt their own national team, it's baffling.

I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware most other nations press gets behind their team and doesn't try to sabotage it. Mental.

if the English media don't hold the English game to account, no one else will. C'mon, don't shoot the messenger.

We all know there's dodgy dealings in the game, and presumably we'd all like to see them stamped out...? At the end of the day it's robbing all of us, because we all contribute to the game in some way (even if only via the TV licence or advertising spends), and it's not like the robbers need the money cos they're starving.

If this is the time it finally gets cleaned up, good, tho it's pretty clear the FA would rather deflect things into stories about their naughty manager than have the focus turned on them.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

if the English media don't hold the English game to account, no one else will. C'mon, don't shoot the messenger.

We all know there's dodgy dealings in the game, and presumably we'd all like to see them stamped out...? At the end of the day it's robbing all of us, because we all contribute to the game in some way (even if only via the TV licence or advertising spends), and it's not like the robbers need the money cos they're starving.

If this is the time it finally gets cleaned up, good, tho it's pretty clear the FA would rather deflect things into stories about their naughty manager than have the focus turned on them.

Absolutely right, although I doubt anything will get cleaned up for good. They caught a big fish in Allardyce but when you read into it it's not clear exactly what he did (or claimed to be able to do) wrong and how he supposedly did it. Have they got anything other than him mouthing off after a few wines at a business lunch? There have been other teasers like eight managers with Premier League experience having taken bungs and one assistant manager having taken a 5 grand sweetener, but if that's the best the investigation got I can't see much happening as a result. It's all very vague, and without more specific details than 'an agent said these managers have taken bungs' nothing will be acted upon.