Football 16-17

kaosmark2

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Word is that fat Sam has got the England job. Depressing news and disappointing times ahead.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's actually excited about this. Klinsmann and Howe both seemed like interesting options to me, whereas fat Sam is just the predictable choice that probably won't fuck up too badly.

i'm not excited about it but i wouldn't be excited by klinnsman either. It's still the same players.

I don't have any problem with it tho, even tho I'd like it if there was an English manager who'd managed at a higher level and played pretty football. But there isn't, and Sam is the most senior and suitable of those that there are.

Let's see how it goes. You never know, it might be better than we're thinking.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, kaosmark2 said:

Word is that fat Sam has got the England job. Depressing news and disappointing times ahead.

I'd be interested to know if anyone's actually excited about this. Klinsmann and Howe both seemed like interesting options to me, whereas fat Sam is just the predictable choice that probably won't fuck up too badly.

I'd put myself in the mildly excited camp. Certainly more excited about seeing what Alladyce will do than I was with Roy or several previous managers. His first squad will be interesting.

I hope he goes all out with his views and doesn't water them down. If your going to fail at least try something different and not just pick the same team and tactics/lack of tactics that have failed for the last however long. You never know.

14 hours ago, eFestivals said:

well, i wasn't particularly thinking it when i posted that, but if it carries on going much the same there comes a point where the finances are fucked.

If I club I supported spunked £100m on a player i'd be hoping he'd come good. That was all I meant.

The transfer fee as a percentage of turnover means Pogba is costing less than City paid for Jo in 2008. 

Welsh Xavi off to Stoke. Klopp starting his clear out. 

Edited by The Nal

I hope big Sam keeps the job for years  to come   Howe is the one who would have worried me. 

I wonder if England will now bring the salary more in line with other nations.  Hodgson salary was mad in terms of his track record and likelihood of a big club coming in for him.  I bet England pay Southgate more than nearly all nations pay their manager.. 

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

Welsh Xavi off to Stoke. Klopp starting his clear out. 

which only means you've missed seeing the players who have already gone.

Steven Caulker
Jose Enrique
Jordan Rossiter
Jerome Sinclair
Joao Carlos Teixeira
Kolo Toure
Samed Yesil
Jordon Ibe
Martin Skrtl

Also very likely are Mario, and Benteke, and Lucas.

They'll probably be others too.

19 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Steven Caulker
Jose Enrique
Jordan Rossiter
Jerome Sinclair
Joao Carlos Teixeira
Kolo Toure
Samed Yesil
Jordon Ibe
Martin Skrtl

Also very likely are Mario, and Benteke, and Lucas.

They'll probably be others too.

Christ yeah missed all that. Obviously needs to sign a few now!

15 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

15million for ibe a strange one for me. Think he was worth keeping for potential unless someone offered thirty forty million or something which was never gonna happen. 

Really? I thought the complete opposite, 15 mil seemed far too steep to me. Although with the new tv money I accepted it as the new level i would have to get used to.

Mates and I are in the process of planning our second fantasy football draft night: question for you all - who and what order would be your top 5 picks for the new season?

1 hour ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

15million for ibe a strange one for me. Think he was worth keeping for potential unless someone offered thirty forty million or something which was never gonna happen. 

he seemed to have fallen out of favour with Klopp, and his time on the pitch had decreased. I'm not sure how long he had on his contract.

Probably as good move for both sides, a decent profit for the club and him going at a cheap enough price where a club like B'mouth should give him many more games.

Just remembered another that will prolly be out the door: Lazar Markovic

Right, time to start getting involved in the football thread before the new season.

3 hours ago, mjsell said:

Mates and I are in the process of planning our second fantasy football draft night: question for you all - who and what order would be your top 5 picks for the new season?

Pick players who aren't going to miss the start of the season, either after being rested after the Euro's/Copa America/Olympics. Also there's an African Cup of Nations in January to be aware of.

7 hours ago, mjsell said:

I'd put myself in the mildly excited camp. Certainly more excited about seeing what Alladyce will do than I was with Roy or several previous managers. His first squad will be interesting.

I hope he goes all out with his views and doesn't water them down. If your going to fail at least try something different and not just pick the same team and tactics/lack of tactics that have failed for the last however long. You never know.

I'm not excited by Sam, but I do think it could prove to be a good appointment. When you consider the state of some of the football played in the Euros, it seems that teams are much better at defending against possession-based teams. The Iceland game was awful for many reasons, but you can bet that Sam would at least have a plan for needing a goal going in to the last 10 minutes of a game (even if it is just getting the ball 'in the mixer'). Having said that, I expect nothing other than crushing disappointment come the World Cup in 2018.

By the way, is there such thing as an eFests fantasy football league?

2 hours ago, big__phil said:

By the way, is there such thing as an eFests fantasy football league?

I've had one up through the premierleague one each year, I'll renew it and post the code soon.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/

Code to join this league: 225027-71801

Edited by kaosmark2

On 21 July 2016 at 11:11 AM, eFestivals said:

Jose Enrique
Jordan Rossiter
Jerome Sinclair
Joao Carlos Teixeira
Jordon Ibe

Klopp obviously doesn't like 'J'

Joe Allen the next to be outed? 

Looks like Wijnaldum will go to Liverpool. Good deal for all parties I reckon. He was excellent for about 1/3 of last season total, but went missing a bit - particularly in away games - but making £10m profit in a year is definitely a good thing for us. He'll be happy to be back in the top flight, and Klopp will probably get more out of him than Shteve did.

£25m may prove a bargain if he performs every week, but we're in the position we have to sell a few of our high wage big names.

Sissoko still making wantaway noises but no bids yet. Depends on whether potential suitors were watching France, or watching the 35 games last season where he was completely anonymous.

Word is that Perez has said he's happy to stay under Benitez even in the Championship, which is huge for us. Mbemba, Perez and Mitrovic were the 3 I expected to lose and most wanted to keep (Townsend aside). We've made good signings as well, nice amount of Championship experience but with most players looking Prem-quality if we get back up, unlike Williamson/Routledge who we signed last time we were down.

Bruce's odds have just shot up to evens from 40/1, I thought Moyes was nailed on. Being a Scot maybe he's pissed with them voting to leave? :P

Edited by lost