kaosmark2

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 8:37 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

Long shot, but are there any Motherwell or Northern Irish fans on here?

Im an Oldham Athletic season ticket holder. We have just got Stephen Robinson the assistant from Motherwell and Northern Island's assistant as our new Boss. 

Brought with him Connor Ripley, Josh Law and Lee Erwin from Motherwell with him.

(We now have 6 players)

Any thoughts on the players or Boss are welcome as we know little to none about them.

Aaron Hughes is signing on Monday too. (At least that's one I know)

Isnt Erwin only on Loan from us? (leeds)

showed glimpses of promise last season, would of liked Evans to have given him more playing time towards the end of the season

3 hours ago, pryce said:

Isnt Erwin only on Loan from us? (leeds)

showed glimpses of promise last season, would of liked Evans to have given him more playing time towards the end of the season

Yeah, I didn't explain that one too well. Hopefully he kicks on this year. No recall clauses anymore, so he is ours for the season. If he does well, we all benefit.

9 hours ago, thetime said:

Brendan Rodgers keeps on giving.

I just saw the post match interview. Despite his calm words - what he always does - his face was more stressed than anything I ever saw in all his time at Liverpool.

The only question that remains is whether his screaming at the players (which he'd surely done) has bucked them up or has lost him the dressing room already.

18 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Big Sam for England? Great news if true! 

TGT will love it. :P

I certainly don't see a problem with trying him, he's clearly an effective manager at club level, and while lots are offended by his playing style it's not like trying for better has given results. He deserves a shot.

But while he's effective at club level, he's not necessarily fast-acting with it - for example, S'lind took a while to get going - so how well he might work with players he only has fleetingly I'm not sure.

As for playing style, at his clubs he's been limited in his choices for most-effective by the players available to him, so when he has the pick of the (English) best it doesn't necessarily follow that the style will be the same.

It'll be interesting to see how it works out even if it's not going to be pretty. :lol:

7 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

The talk of Jurgen Klinnsman is exciting. The talk of fat Sam is depressing.

I can't disagree with that, tho the Sam thing is clearly because they want someone English.

As far as it goes I don't really have an issue with that, because big name foreigners didn't work out any better overall, they just proved again it's mainly luck with any appointment. It either works or it doesn't.

7 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Pardew?

his record isn't as good as Sam's I'd say, and (as far as i know) he's younger too - which for me puts Sam before him.

About the only other one with decent top-level experience is Bruce (I think...?), tho he'd rate below those two.

I'm not keen for Sam to be manager, but as far as I can see it, if the criteria is English he's the best there is and deserves the chance.

I can't really see that it'll work out worse than Woy but if it does we'll just pick another one.

Edited by eFestivals

40 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I can't disagree with that, tho the Sam thing is clearly because they want someone English.

As far as it goes I don't really have an issue with that, because big name foreigners didn't work out any better overall, they just proved again it's mainly luck with any appointment. It either works or it doesn't.

The thing about Klinnsman vs previous big name foreigners is his success on an international scale, and the fact his teams play good football. I don't think any manager could get England to win either of the next 2 tournaments, so I'd rather watch decent football. If fat Sam becomes England manager I doubt I'll bother watching a single game.

1 minute ago, kaosmark2 said:

The thing about Klinnsman vs previous big name foreigners is his success on an international scale, and the fact his teams play good football. I don't think any manager could get England to win either of the next 2 tournaments, so I'd rather watch decent football. If fat Sam becomes England manager I doubt I'll bother watching a single game.

several times people started to bang on about good football under Woy, only for England to revert to form shortly afterwards.

It's probably the case that you can't polish a turd.

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

If you demand English, then surely Eddie Howe?

That was the other name I saw being tossed around with Sam's a few days ago. Great record with B'mouth, rubbish elsewhere.

I'm not against the idea, but I can't see why he rates any better than Sam, and given their ages I reckon Sam should have first shot.

Just now, eFestivals said:

That was the other name I saw being tossed around with Sam's a few days ago. Great record with B'mouth, rubbish elsewhere.

I'm not against the idea, but I can't see why he rates any better than Sam, and given their ages I reckon Sam should have first shot.

So is it a case of appointing one of the longest serving club managers? Just because they've been knocking around for a bit?

Greenwood, Robson, Taylor, El Tel, Shteve, Woy etc? 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Allardyce has spent 25 years proving he's a loser. Proving he's a bung taking, negative, hoofball dinosaur. 

Howe, might be dreadful, he might be the next Carlo Ancelotti. 

Howe struggled with the Burnley job, think he'd need to prove himself away from Bournemouth before something as big as the England job became a possibility.

Honestly think Klinsmann would be the best move. Affinity for the English game, international success (with both Germany and the US, although I understand they're a bit disenfranchised with him), and plays good football.