Best headliner IYHO

cowmadiddy

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whilst I do love to see Calgon's righteous poptastic sensibilities get their annual kicks - tapsaaaf for Dellser's appearance this year - this forum has been a barren fucking wasteland for Headliner Hype in recent months.

Worst year for kvelling about the top tier of the fest since I've been reading eFests.

<Trump> Sad! </Trump>

Only been going in recent times... but... in terms of Pyramid...

Best: 1) Stones, 2) Stevie Wonder, 3) Arcade Fire

Worst: 1) Bastard Mumfords (hungover, post-Nick Cave, missed Bobby Womack, they were shit)

2) Kasabian/Gorillaz (possibly blame Kasabian more as Gorillaz were thrown in the deep end)

3) U2 (probably due to weather mind)

Edited by GlastoSimon

Was the Bowie 2000 set seen as brilliant at the time or has the passing of time and recent events elevated it to the status it is held in now?  I can never really remember it being mentioned in the 'best ever' lists prior to 2010 (though this may just be my terrible memory

Another 2nd timer, Flo was amazing last year, Kanye was crap. Saw Chemical Brothers on Sunday who were great but having seen them many times before the shortish set took a little of the shine off. 

Florence is my favourite headliner, think LCD are realistically the only act I'll see this year who have a chance of surpassing her. 

1 minute ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

If it helps, Bobby w was life affirming stuff. 

:( I'm sure it was.

Was at WH in 2014 when his death was announced on the stage screen. Gutted isn't the word. Lesson is, never miss something you really want to see just because friends are somewhere/you can't be bothered to move :P 

4 minutes ago, Istari said:

Was the Bowie 2000 set seen as brilliant at the time or has the passing of time and recent events elevated it to the status it is held in now?  I can never really remember it being mentioned in the 'best ever' lists prior to 2010 (though this may just be my terrible memory

At that point in his career he wasn't held in as high regard as he is today, for certain.  We wear rose tinted glasses looking back at the past, but he wasn't winning people over with the industrial inspired stuff he was doing at the time.  People were extremely excited to see him perform though, hoping for the kind of set he delivered and it was extremely well received by both the crowd and the commentators alike.

Macca 04 was probably my favourite, I was on the barrier and it was one big singalong. Even though it started raining, no one cared, everyone was having fun.

2009 was a strong year for me with Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen & Blur, I watched & enjoyed all 3 headliners that year, but I was stuck in the middle of the crowd for Bruce, bursting for a p*ss, so that killed it a bit (he seemed to go on for hours).

Travis & the Stones for me too, Travis because it was my first time at any gig, my first time on the farm & I was blown away with it all. I loved how Fran engaged with the crowd too, which I prefer to an artist who just plods along and plays their songs.

The Stones, the build up and the anticipation over their set was unreal and even though they're a bit long in the tooth, they didn't disappoint. Loved their show immensely. I feel lucky to have watched what I have on the farm, long may it continue.

29 minutes ago, Istari said:

Ever since 2000 I've regretted not seeing him ( I had to leave early ) probably my only main Glastonbury regret... that and not watching Ray Davies (could hear him) due to the heat of 2010.

5 hours ago, snorton82 said:

Arctic Monkeys, a) because they are awesome and b, I came up just at the right time!

I thought it was awful and I really like them. Such a soul sapping atmosphere even at the back of the pit. Even The Who last year was more lively. 

Stones for me too.  Thought they were just perfect.

Also Pulp 1995 and David Bowie 2000.

I am a massive Springsteen fan and he never disappoints but I have been at better Bruce gigs than the one he delivered in 2009. Neil Young the previous day was great.

And I must be about the only person who enjoyed Gorillaz (even Damon Albarn himself didn't).

Edited by Watergirl

1 hour ago, DAVA said:

Travis because it was my first time at any gig, my first time on the farm & I was blown away with it all. I loved how Fran engaged with the crowd too, which I prefer to an artist who just plods along and plays their songs.

Travis was good fun actually. I loved their first album but have been abit 'meh' ever since.  It does raise a smile looking back when at that gig he said 'we're gonna play a new song now, it's called 'Safe''.