View of the pyramid

Steel city camper

Sorry to start a new camping thread . What's the chances of me getting a view of the pyramid stage from my tent , I'll been in the queue from 6am on weds. I camped at the bottom of kidney mead last year and loved it but would love to have a view of the pyramid stage this year . I don't want or need to be stupidly close would just like to be able to it see it while I have the odd beer around my tent. Can you see it from most areas further up or is it just the tents towards the front? , sorry for my diva like demands just starting to get very excited and wondering if it's possible or not x

2 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

You can see it from Hawkswel tool and have a decent if distant view of the screen too, if you cannot get into Big Ground or Row Mead. Camped there in 2011 was a very nice spot indeed. Got through the gates 1-2ish in the afternoon.

So there's a very good chance if I'm in for around 9/10 ish 

Just now, Steel city camper said:

So there's a very good chance if I'm in for around 9/10 ish 

Absolute shoo-in I would have thought. The view we had was one through the gap just below the Mandela bar. You could sit outside the tent and get a distant view and pretty decent sound for a pyramid performance, we were one row of tents off the pathway.

At 9-10 you'd have a chance at Big Ground which offers a clearer view though, I think you will have more or less your pick at that time. Enjoy! 

Row mead is the best spot on site bar none for the view in the morning. I always used to get a thrill waking up and gazing at the pyramid with a morning red wine. 

Unfortunately, since they vastly reduced the size of the field the chances of getting in there are minimal. Someone said it is pretty full before the gates are even open, what with workers putting up their mates tents etc. 

You'd better get there as soon as the gates open. Good luck!

6 minutes ago, Steel city camper said:

Cheers for all the advice , hopefully ill get a decent spot ,can't come quick enough now I'm well and truly ready (even though I've not packed a thing) : )

We pitched up at Big Ground for many years, always had a decent view of the Pyramid if you arrive by mid-morning, almost all of the field has some sort of a view as the ground steadily rises, rather obvious advice but be sure to be one side or another of the big tree at the top of the Pyramid field so it's not in your sight lines. 

Pyramid from Hawkswell, 2013.  Would have been a stonking view if it wasn't for that tree...

Sounded great though, and the screens were very visible.

Better views further round - this was about 10 yards in from the path.  We were here about 10:00 on the Wednesday, group of 5-6 tents.

Pyramid 2013.jpg

I've camped over near the pyramid on both occasions I've been, and thought it was a good area.

My problem is that I entered the site from the gate on the other side so it was a 40 minute walk to get there. I'd like to come into the car park on the other side this year, but don't feel I've had a choice as I've just been directed into the same car park both times.

Where do I change my route to come in from the other side?

2 hours ago, cowmadiddy said:

I've camped over near the pyramid on both occasions I've been, and thought it was a good area.

My problem is that I entered the site from the gate on the other side so it was a 40 minute walk to get there. I'd like to come into the car park on the other side this year, but don't feel I've had a choice as I've just been directed into the same car park both times.

Where do I change my route to come in from the other side?

I guess it depends what you mean by "the other side" - you either approach from the East or West - if you want to switch round you need to do so a fair distance from the site.  You cant skirt round the edges.  Any idea where you parked and which gate you went in from previously?  And when you come from - Im feeling especially helpful today so will have a look for you :-)

I spent a couple of years at Hawkwell.  Lovely view of the Pyramid and over the site and great sound if you're back to pick up supplies or hiding from a raincloud.  Only downside for me is the sound checking on the Pyramid in the morning.  One morning they played the same Mumford song eleventy-seven times on the bounce.  Never any need for that.

44 minutes ago, stuwilky said:

I guess it depends what you mean by "the other side" - you either approach from the East or West - if you want to switch round you need to do so a fair distance from the site.  You cant skirt round the edges.  Any idea where you parked and which gate you went in from previously?  And when you come from - Im feeling especially helpful today so will have a look for you :-)

Well I came in from the east so it was that side I parked on had to walk down past the other stage to get there - I like it when your helpful - thanks

6 hours ago, russycarps said:

Row mead is the best spot on site bar none for the view in the morning. I always used to get a thrill waking up and gazing at the pyramid with a morning red wine. 

Unfortunately, since they vastly reduced the size of the field the chances of getting in there are minimal. Someone said it is pretty full before the gates are even open, what with workers putting up their mates tents etc. 

You'd better get there as soon as the gates open. Good luck!

Pretty sure that there is going to be an attempt at a crackdown on workers bagging/putting up tents for mates in public camping areas before the gates open. 

Not sure how successful it will be...biggest game of Whack A Mole ever.

3 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Pretty sure that there is going to be an attempt at a crackdown on workers bagging/putting up tents for mates in public camping areas before the gates open. 

Not sure how successful it will be...biggest game of Whack A Mole ever.

Last year on the Tuesday Evening, I was sat on one of the benches at the top of the Pyramid Field watching security carefully dismantle a large group of tents that someone had put up. Pulled up in a couple of landrovers, 10 minutes later the entire camp was gone, security zoomed off.

I do know for sure that Row Mead was absolutely empty when I last saw it, which would be about 10/10:30pm that night - but it'd have been interesting to see how many had appeared overnight or more likely in the morning when security had other things to do. Not interesting enough to make me get up early and check, though.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

Last year on the Tuesday Evening, I was sat on one of the benches at the top of the Pyramid Field watching security carefully dismantle a large group of tents that someone had put up. Pulled up in a couple of landrovers, 10 minutes later the entire camp was gone, security zoomed off.

I do know for sure that Row Mead was absolutely empty when I last saw it, which would be about 10/10:30pm that night - but it'd have been interesting to see how many had appeared overnight or more likely in the morning when security had other things to do. Not interesting enough to make me get up early and check, though.

You are absolutely right. In 2013 and 2014 the amount of tents already up before the gates opened was ridiculous. Last year though, the whole of Big Ground, Row Mead and Kidney Mead were practically empty. They had definitely clamped down on it.

2 hours ago, scaryclaireyfairy said:

I spent a couple of years at Hawkwell.  Lovely view of the Pyramid and over the site and great sound if you're back to pick up supplies or hiding from a raincloud.  Only downside for me is the sound checking on the Pyramid in the morning.  One morning they played the same Mumford song eleventy-seven times on the bounce.  Never any need for that.

Must've been harsh in the winter months.

6 hours ago, cowmadiddy said:

London

Depending whereabouts you will probably come along the M3 towards reading or the M4 towards Swindon - and then from both of those routs you will have followed the A37 (via the A303 if you went on the M3)

Whichever was you go you need to basically aim for the far side of the site - so you need to go past where you would usually turn to go towards the East side where you have ended up in previous years.  If you go on the M4 ther easierst way to do this is to go all the way to Bristol and then swing down the M5, or you can go down the A37 - and then bear right on the A39 - but most traffic here goes towards the East side so watch your direction.  

If you come down the 303 instead of going up the A37 there are a few ways you can go - I dont know that side of the site though so cant say what the roads are like or if there are any closures.   Do a route planner to Glastonbury rather than Pilton and make sure that you enter Glastonbury town from the West, South or North directly - If you're coming from the East on the 361 youre definitely in the wrong place.  

That was wordier than I wanted - sorry!

8 hours ago, Glastoboy said:

You are absolutely right. In 2013 and 2014 the amount of tents already up before the gates opened was ridiculous. Last year though, the whole of Big Ground, Row Mead and Kidney Mead were practically empty. They had definitely clamped down on it.

In the MDC post festival report it mentions that this was a success of the 2015 festival (one of many, like the fact that tents are now more evenly spaced across the site) and specifically mentioned that security were doing this throughout the Tuesday night.  I'd imagine that this will become custom and practice at the festival now as a result of it being highlighted as a problem and viewed as a reasonable solution.

7 hours ago, cowmadiddy said:

London

8 minutes ago, stuwilky said:

Depending whereabouts you will probably come along the M3 towards reading or the M4 towards Swindon - and then from both of those routs you will have followed the A37 (via the A303 if you went on the M3)

Whichever was you go you need to basically aim for the far side of the site - so you need to go past where you would usually turn to go towards the East side where you have ended up in previous years.  If you go on the M4 ther easierst way to do this is to go all the way to Bristol and then swing down the M5, or you can go down the A37 - and then bear right on the A39 - but most traffic here goes towards the East side so watch your direction.  

If you come down the 303 instead of going up the A37 there are a few ways you can go - I dont know that side of the site though so cant say what the roads are like or if there are any closures.   Do a route planner to Glastonbury rather than Pilton and make sure that you enter Glastonbury town from the West, South or North directly - If you're coming from the East on the 361 youre definitely in the wrong place.  

That was wordier than I wanted - sorry!

From the A303 take the 3rd exit off the podimore roundabout (NOT the 4th A37 which will be signposted for the festival) then take the second right towards Sommerton then there's a right turn just before Sommerton that takes you to Compton Durdon (??sp) follow that road and it will take you to a roundabout on the eastern edge of Street take the third exit and follow the signs from there.

Or if you're close to the A4 go M4>M5 and come off at the A39 and follow the signs from there. 

We're interested in either Big Ground, Hawkwell or Micheal's Mead as two of us are coming from gate A and one from Gate B (or C).

Does anyone have any idea roughishly when we'll struggle for spaces in these areas (we'll have two times 3 man tents)?

Also just how sloped are the later two?