Camping coffee/espresso maker - recommendations?

Janaka

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Janaka said:

Thank you everyone for all the useful advice.  Based on the guidance above, I think the Aeropress is the boy for me because:

• A bunch of helpful people have rated it
  • Thinking about it, a longer coffee is fine if it'll be good quality, for me there's need to insist on espresso - would rather have something to savour.
  • Not a bad price
  • Making 4 coffee's in one go sounds good, to keep all the troops happy
  • I know Moka's are great and would be an even cheaper option, but I'm not quite ready for that level of tinkering the morning/afternoon after the night before.  And all of this over a near-naked flame. (May get one for home though to go alongside our all-singing, alll-dancing and all-leaking DeLonghi machine)

Will probably invest in one of these metal filters too https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purposefull-Filter-Aeropress-Stainless-Natural/dp/B00UAJT5EI/ref=pd_sim_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31VfUgxqQgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR153%2C160_&refRID=8JEQ27SE6S0MCKBJZ0GF

Re comments about superiority of freshly-ground coffee, that's a step I haven't taken yet.  Is it really a night and day difference from the ready-ground stuff? (typically we buy Illy/Lavazza at home, so decent stuff I guess). 

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed their thoughts.  If you find yourself in Dairy, under a Nemo clown fish flag, watching some guy who has lost all motor skills trying to work out an Aeropress, spilling coffee and hot water everywhere, please say hi.

The Aeropress makes one coffee at a time, not four in one go...?

The metal filter is good as it allows the oils of the coffee to pass through and gives a fuller flavour. Better for the environment too.

Regarding freshly ground, it's rather dependent on how quickly you get through a bag. You probably can't tell the difference (I don't think I can), but I do ground my own. It's so much fresher. Buy from a local coffee roaster, don't buy the shite they sell in the supermarket. Have the coffee shop ground it if you don't have a grinder, and tell them you're using an Aeropress so the grounds are good. The expensive burr grinders they use are a cut above too as opposed to the hand grinders anyway.

My Aeropress recipe is 20g coffee and 230ml water. Boil the water and let it cool a little for a minute or less. Put the coffee in, put 60ml of water and give a quick stir. Let it sit for 30 seconds. Put the rest of the water in, then let it sit for 1 minute. Press, and serve - it's beautiful.

Edited by majormajormajor

18 hours ago, Janaka said:

Thank you everyone for all the useful advice.  Based on the guidance above, I think the Aeropress is the boy for me because:

• A bunch of helpful people have rated it
  • Thinking about it, a longer coffee is fine if it'll be good quality, for me there's need to insist on espresso - would rather have something to savour.
  • Not a bad price
  • Making 4 coffee's in one go sounds good, to keep all the troops happy
  • I know Moka's are great and would be an even cheaper option, but I'm not quite ready for that level of tinkering the morning/afternoon after the night before.  And all of this over a near-naked flame. (May get one for home though to go alongside our all-singing, alll-dancing and all-leaking DeLonghi machine)

Will probably invest in one of these metal filters too https://www.amazon.co.uk/Purposefull-Filter-Aeropress-Stainless-Natural/dp/B00UAJT5EI/ref=pd_sim_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=31VfUgxqQgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR153%2C160_&refRID=8JEQ27SE6S0MCKBJZ0GF

Re comments about superiority of freshly-ground coffee, that's a step I haven't taken yet.  Is it really a night and day difference from the ready-ground stuff? (typically we buy Illy/Lavazza at home, so decent stuff I guess). 

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed their thoughts.  If you find yourself in Dairy, under a Nemo clown fish flag, watching some guy who has lost all motor skills trying to work out an Aeropress, spilling coffee and hot water everywhere, please say hi.

We tend to use Lavazza red  at work, mainly because of the quantity we get through and a perceived reluctance to go gourmet with the tea kitty. I'm no connoisseur, but I'm confident I could tell the difference between the ground and the beans of the same brand. 

If I'm buying from the local roaster I'd get them to grind it however - smaller quantities and their technique means I'm happy for them to do it for me. 

Don't forget to Google the upside down Aeropress brewing technique as previously mentioned, much better results that way. 

1 hour ago, majormajormajor said:

The Aeropress makes one coffee at a time, not four in one go...?

The metal filter is good as it allows the oils of the coffee to pass through and gives a fuller flavour. Better for the environment too.

I didn't realise you could make 4 cups at once either, and didn't understand the point of the numbers 1 to 4 up the side of the thing.  I finally sussed it out a couple of weeks ago.  You put as much coffee as you need in, and then make it.  If you've put in enough coffee for 4 people, it will be thick and black, but you then just split that between 4 cups and top up with boiling water.  It tastes just as good as making a single cup, plus it's hotter.

Re. the metal filter: I was going to buy one, but then heard about the link between Terpenes and Cholesterol.   I'm sure it's just a typical Daily Mail style health scare based on minimal evidence, but I find the paper filters work well and can be rinsed/dried/reused until they fall to bits so the stack that came with the Aeropress will probably last me a lifetime.

Is it possible to make a decent coffee based cocktail before the festival that would taste nice there? 

Alternatively and good fresh coffee cocktails for that early morning kick and hangover cure in a similar vein to the bloody Mary's? 

On 06/06/2016 at 7:27 PM, Mark E. Spliff said:

I didn't realise you could make 4 cups at once either, and didn't understand the point of the numbers 1 to 4 up the side of the thing.

I understand that you can make multiple cups, but the taste would be completely off. I'm a bit of a coffee Nazi though. Aeropress is for one cup IMO :)

Can I just put in a recommendation for a couple of other options.

I'm a big fan of pourover filters at the moment.  I use a Hario V2, and you get great results with virtually no effort or faff.  Also, you can make multiple cups through the magic of just pouring over more water...

I'm also planning to make a cold brew concentrate before I go.  This can then be either be topped up with hot water to make a decent cup or added to vodka / brandy / rum to make rocket fuel

On 6/5/2016 at 2:22 PM, Janaka said:

Does anyone have good recommendations for a festival-friendly coffee maker?  Sure, instant is ok, and I'm not a massive coffee-aficionado, but I kinda like the idea of a good strong espresso to start the day (though usually that's early afternoon!).

I don't have a budget as such - more a case of getting something that does a very good job, will last, and is compact enough to fit in a rucksack.

This one has caught my eye http://www.wacaco.com/products/minipresso-gr and can be found for £40 but would be grateful for any 1st-hand recommendations.

questions

1. does it do hot chocolate?

2. if it does can I come for a hot chocolate?

3 hours ago, morph100 said:

Is it possible to make a decent coffee based cocktail before the festival that would taste nice there? 

Alternatively and good fresh coffee cocktails for that early morning kick and hangover cure in a similar vein to the bloody Mary's? 

coffee is the devils bean

I am a huge coffee fan, and like some on here, the only way is bean to cup fresh, correct temperature of the water etc., So at Glastonbury, I tend to have a weekend free of coffee as I am always disappointed with what I am served. So, is it possible if anyone finds a good coffee vendor this year they can post it's name and location on this forum during the festival or tweet using a hashtag of some sort? Like #GlastoCoffeeWin ? 

Edited by jumbomcnutt
spelling

7 hours ago, waterfalls212434 said:

cant imagine ever taking a coffee maker to a festival....let me guess your a glamper? lol vendors that sell coffee surly only a short walk from any campsite. 

I wouldn't call wanting to enjoy a nice coffee with all the gang at the tent once we all wake up a sign of glamping, but hey we all do things differently.  Having been coming here for 20 years though, I definitely do like a few creature comforts these days.

Maybe have a look at the devices people have recommended here before making assumptions, no-one is proposing setting up a Caffe Nero on-site (not yet anyway).

7 hours ago, shuttlep said:

questions

1. does it do hot chocolate?

2. if it does can I come for a hot chocolate?

1.  You don't need a gadget for hot chocolate, just a burner, pan and ingredients.  

2. I will have all the utensils so if you bring the milk and chocolate - maybe some little marshmallows to go on top too - then happy to put one together for you.

1 hour ago, Janaka said:

I wouldn't call wanting to enjoy a nice coffee with all the gang at the tent once we all wake up a sign of glamping, but hey we all do things differently.  Having been coming here for 20 years though, I definitely do like a few creature comforts these days.

Maybe have a look at the devices people have recommended here before making assumptions, no-one is proposing setting up a Caffe Nero on-site (not yet anyway).

relax it was just a little joke, its the way you put the question as if you were planning to bring a full size expresso maker/coffee machine on site that tickled me somewhat......some people are to sensitive.......besides everyone knows a festival mornings best drink is the first cold can out from under the tent....hair of the dog and your right as rain :)

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 2:50 PM, Watergirl said:

An Italian-style caffetiera works great on camping gas.  The real deal.

Unknown.jpeg

This :thumbsu:

A six cup will make around 500ml of coffee.

I quite like a bowl full for dipping my breakfast croissants in :P

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bialetti-Moka-Express-Espresso-Maker/dp/B00004RFRU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465500357&sr=8-2&keywords=bialetti+6+cup

1 hour ago, waterfalls212434 said:

relax it was just a little joke, its the way you put the question as if you were planning to bring a full size expresso maker/coffee machine on site that tickled me somewhat......some people are to sensitive.......besides everyone knows a festival mornings best drink is the first cold can out from under the tent....hair of the dog and your right as rain :)

You've hit the nail on the head.  I've gone from my previous breakfast cocktail of vodka with berocca and rehydration salts, to discussing the merits of freshly-ground coffee.  How did I let this happen???

The first time I came to Glastonbury, I thought it was a 5 day rave and no-one slept so all I brought was a school satchel with just one change of clothes and a big bar of dairy milk (not a lie, and this was the '97 mudfest).  I barely survived and couldn't face going back for a few years.

Now, it's like packing for an expedition up Everest so you're not far from the truth :)

Edited by Janaka

On 5 June 2016 at 2:22 PM, Janaka said:

Does anyone have good recommendations for a festival-friendly coffee maker?  Sure, instant is ok, and I'm not a massive coffee-aficionado, but I kinda like the idea of a good strong espresso to start the day (though usually that's early afternoon!).

I don't have a budget as such - more a case of getting something that does a very good job, will last, and is compact enough to fit in a rucksack.

This one has caught my eye http://www.wacaco.com/products/minipresso-gr and can be found for £40 but would be grateful for any 1st-hand recommendations.

you can pick up a cafetière for about £10, not an actual coffee maker but it will come in handy if you don't get one and you can get them just about anywhere. Just boil a pot of water and fill it up. I'm with you on making your own coffee. Save a small fortune! if I'm your camping neighbour I'll be pretty jealous waking up and smelling fresh coffee coming from the next tent :) 

On 05/06/2016 at 2:50 PM, Watergirl said:

An Italian-style caffetiera works great on camping gas.  The real deal.

Unknown.jpeg

I second this opinion.

I take this with me every year and really makes all the difference to be able to get a decent espresso down you in the morning.

You can get ones that make 3 cups worth for about a tenner in TK Maxx. I know them as 'mokas' but I have no idea what they are called. Best mate is Italian and thats what she calls it.

22 hours ago, jfaragher said:

Can I just put in a recommendation for a couple of other options.

I'm a big fan of pourover filters at the moment.  I use a Hario V2, and you get great results with virtually no effort or faff.  Also, you can make multiple cups through the magic of just pouring over more water...

I'm also planning to make a cold brew concentrate before I go.  This can then be either be topped up with hot water to make a decent cup or added to vodka / brandy / rum to make rocket fuel

How is the V2? Been meaning to buy one to try it out. Can you give me some measurements, ie. bean and water weights? Might go buy one.

53 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I second this opinion.

I take this with me every year and really makes all the difference to be able to get a decent espresso down you in the morning.

You can get ones that make 3 cups worth for about a tenner in TK Maxx. I know them as 'mokas' but I have no idea what they are called. Best mate is Italian and thats what she calls it.

Yes, Moka (Express) is what I know them by, and seems the manufacturers do too...they get good reviews on http://amzn.to/1UkiA2Q 

moka express.png

+1 for

"Probably heresy, but you could try coffee bags (not the plastic 'disposable' filters).  wouldn't make espresso but would save a lot of faff and better than instant. You've got time to get some gourmet ones online, which would still be much cheaper than buying drinks at the festival"

I make my own coffee bags - think muslin cloth and a bull clip (this allows the coffee bag to soak in the cup, with out falling in) costco sell a really nice big tin of ground coffee for about £7 (make sure you transport it in a air tight food zip bag thing)

EVERYBODY that Ive made a coffee for using the above method are very surprised at the flavor and quality - maybe they expected crap?!?!

(make sure you don't use boiling water - should be about 85 deg and you let it soak in the water for at least 5mins with a bit of movement of the coffee bag)

On 6/9/2016 at 9:50 AM, jfaragher said:

How does this work, sounds interesting....do you just make the strongest coffee you can, let it cool and put it in a plastic bottle?

Last year I got my best cup of coffee from this place near the park. Seemed to only do coffee, tea and cakes. Can't remember what it was called but it got quite busy in the mornings with all the surrounding campers. Was worth the wait though.

nicecoffee.png

As promised, reporting back on the minipresso, which took about five days to arrive.  First impressions are it is a very well put together piece of kit, it feels like it could cope with festival knocks and scrapes no problem.  I ran it through once with boiling water only to prime it/warm it up, then made cup number one with some old Illy espresso grounds (not the freshest by a long shot).

Filling with coffee and water is a breeze, and the pump action is smooth - probably not a one-handed operation but easy enough with two to keep steady over the cup and get the coffee to go where it wants.  The coffee produced had a very respectable crema and - allowing for the age of the grounds - a very acceptable taste.  Produces pretty much a double shot with a full water reservoir.  Probably 5 mins from start to finish - not that much faff at all.

Actually made up with it - it's a yes for me, Clive.

Off to give it another try...

*starts bouncing off walls*

IMG_0015.JPG