The stone roses

weeksy97

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, mrlibertinedream said:

Still think they are in with a huge shout of headlining, few months back was told by a tour manager with another act that the stone roses were headlining (as stated on page 171 on headliners thread) he's just come back from touring and still says he think it's the stone roses.......we shall see

I'd love you to be right, but Neil is pretty certain it's Ed and Foo's. Pretty sure he heard some rumours about the Roses earlier on but these 2 seem nailed on everywhere tbh,

On 1/14/2017 at 0:20 AM, mrlibertinedream said:

Still think they are in with a huge shout of headlining, few months back was told by a tour manager with another act that the stone roses were headlining (as stated on page 171 on headliners thread) he's just come back from touring and still says he think it's the stone roses.......we shall see

Emily explicitly stated that it's not the Stone Roses. There's just one possibility in the past where Emily might have told a porkie by denying an act that then played - tho I've asked her about that face-to-face, and she insisted that act (Stevie Wonder) hadn't been approached and wasn't the plan when she said those words. For what it's worth, I believe her.

Meanwhile, via a contact with his own contacts amongst Ed's people's, I've been told that Ed is playing. The same source has been told (tho that makes it 'gossip') that the Foos are the other headliner.

For what it's worth - and from what I've heard myself via another well-known band on the bill - it does look like the Roses were the hoped-for plan for a few months over the summer, but for whatever reasons it didn't come together. That's possibly why you've heard what you have.

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Emily explicitly stated that it's not the Stone Roses. There's just one possibility in the past where Emily might have told a porkie by denying an act that then played - tho I've asked her about that face-to-face, and she insisted that act (Stevie Wonder) hadn't been approached and wasn't the plan when she said those words. For what it's worth, I believe her.

Meanwhile, via a contact with his own contacts amongst Ed's people's, I've been told that Ed is playing. The same source has been told (tho that makes it 'gossip') that the Foos are the other headliner.

For what it's worth - and from what I've heard myself via another well-known band on the bill - it does look like the Roses were the hoped-for plan for a few months over the summer, but for whatever reasons it didn't come together. That's possibly why you've heard what you have.

:( Gutting

20 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Yeah think you're right. I don't see it happening in 2019, had to be this year for me if they were gonna do it. I find it even more bizarre now given it's starting to look like they won't be doing any of the other major festivals 

Yeah that is weird. Considering the money they're making from the gigs so far, you'd think a major festival appearance would nee on the cards for sure, but nowhere seems to have taken them.

39 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Yeah think you're right. I don't see it happening in 2019, had to be this year for me if they were gonna do it. I find it even more bizarre now given it's starting to look like they won't be doing any of the other major festivals 

One last chance I think

18 minutes ago, EamerRed said:

Yeah that is weird. Considering the money they're making from the gigs so far, you'd think a major festival appearance would nee on the cards for sure, but nowhere seems to have taken them.

I'm not sure how they went down at IOW but you'd think Giddings would have tried at least, maybe they said no....or  Wembley date affected him wanting to get them. I suspect the latter is why R&L didn't try as well...plus the two Leeds Arena shows. I think they would have taken TSR over Muse this year myself, no chance over Eminem. Not sure V is flatform for them now and similarly to Reading they have a show close by. Neither are instant sell outs now.

• 5 months later...

As much as I'd love them to play G, surely they've got to knock it on the head now?

After Heaton Park and those festival gigs, I'd hoped for new music - yet all they did the next year at Finsbury Park and Glasgow Green was Elephant Stone added to the setlist. With the Etihad gigs, we were looking for a new album - we got two new songs, one of which they still can't play live.

This year, it's pretty much the exact same setlist as last year!! They're obviously not interested in releasing anything else, and they can't possibly wring out another year of stadium gigs with the same 17 songs. Pack it in lads, at least we might get a IB solo album.

37 minutes ago, Badlands said:

As much as I'd love them to play G, surely they've got to knock it on the head now?

After Heaton Park and those festival gigs, I'd hoped for new music - yet all they did the next year at Finsbury Park and Glasgow Green was Elephant Stone added to the setlist. With the Etihad gigs, we were looking for a new album - we got two new songs, one of which they still can't play live.

This year, it's pretty much the exact same setlist as last year!! They're obviously not interested in releasing anything else, and they can't possibly wring out another year of stadium gigs with the same 17 songs. Pack it in lads, at least we might get a IB solo album.

The wise money has gone on them calling it a day after this run of gigs.

4 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Would still take them headlining Glasto over most headline acts. Wouldn't bother to pay their ticket prices so it'd be nice to get the opportunity at Glasto. Can't see them doing it, though.

I will go on record and say absolutely no chance. The beers are on me if they do.

54 minutes ago, Badlands said:

It frustrates me but they are still selling 70,000 tickets a night having done 5 years of the same set list. The fans are still there, so until they drop off they'll keep doing it. If/when they drop off it will probably be new album time. They will be back in Manchester again next June for sure.

3 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

They get big money from their own stadium shows and TITP / V every few years so no chance they would headline Glastonbury. It's not like they'd even want the TV exposure, everyone would just be slating Ian's voice.

And they 100% will not allow their set to be broadcast. Can't see G going for that for a headliner.

Just now, briddj said:

And they 100% will not allow their set to be broadcast. Can't see G going for that for a headliner.

Yup. I just watched the Made of Stone documentary and even in their rehearsals you can tell Ian's voice is autotuned.

5 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

It frustrates me but they are still selling 70,000 tickets a night having done 5 years of the same set list. The fans are still there, so until they drop off they'll keep doing it. If/when they drop off it will probably be new album time. They will be back in Manchester again next June for sure.

Unless they get another drummer then the Stone Roses will cease after this run of gigs mate.