The stone roses

weeksy97

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Beautiful thing was good, All for One.. not so good, and that's an understatement. They are at the stage now that without another album they are really stretching the goodwill and pent up support they have to the absolute limit. If they don't release another album I think this round of gigs is going to be it for them, I'm seeing them at Wembley but there is still something that doesn't sit completely right with me paying £70 to see a band who have released two unimpressive singals in about 20 years. Without another album I certainly wouldn't ever pay to see them again.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

They are at the stage now that without another album they are really stretching the goodwill and pent up support they have to the absolute limit. If they don't release another album I think this round of gigs is going to be it for them, I'm seeing them at Wembley but there is still something that doesn't sit completely right with me paying £70 to see a band who have released two unimpressive singals in about 20 years. 

I'd say the opposite - releasing more garbage music will further tarnish what made them special in the first place and dilute the setlists.  I don't think anyone's clamouring for more songs like All For One at the gigs.

But if they disappear for another 5 years and come back without releasing anything else they'll still do decent to good box office.

But say to the same crowd that that rather than just one new song they’re benching about half the debut album, Elephant Stone and Sally Cinnamon to play more of the new material – the songs that weren’t good enough to be the first two singles.

Immediately the gig becomes a less attractive prospect.

Prices up on gigs and tours. Not a cheap one. 

STANDING £71.50 (£65.00)Transaction fee applicable *SEATS £38.50 (£35.00)Transaction fee applicable *SEATS £60.50 (£55.00)Transaction fee applicable *SEATS £82.50 (£75.00)Transaction fee applicable *
Read more at http://www.gigsandtours.com/event/the-stone-roses/first-direct-arena-leeds/1055456#D83yCXcqKXUK7zQ5.99

11 minutes ago, Chef said:

Prices up on gigs and tours. Not a cheap one. 

STANDING £71.50 (£65.00)Transaction fee applicable *SEATS £38.50 (£35.00)Transaction fee applicable *SEATS £60.50 (£55.00)Transaction fee applicable *SEATS £82.50 (£75.00)Transaction fee applicable *
Read more at http://www.gigsandtours.com/event/the-stone-roses/first-direct-arena-leeds/1055456#D83yCXcqKXUK7zQ5.99

I have not been to an arena gig for an awful long time. These prices do seem very steep. Is that the going rate for arenas?

42 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

unfortunately yes mate.

Looks like a nice arena though that Leeds place.

Leeds is a fantastic night out as well.

21 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

He's right. Still a soulless arena selling piss at a fiver a pint but far far better than any of the others. Could have been tempted by this but I'll be in Glastonbury half cut by then. 

Only for robbing bastards, heritage or bigger acts.

Stone Roses - Band of the people (as long as they're rich)

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I'd say the opposite - releasing more garbage music will further tarnish what made them special in the first place and dilute the setlists.  I don't think anyone's clamouring for more songs like All For One at the gigs.

But if they disappear for another 5 years and come back without releasing anything else they'll still do decent to good box office.

Yeah I get your point, I guess I'm basing everything on the assumption that if they released an album it would be good, which unfortunately there is no basis for that to be the case. I'm a huge fan, however my comments are based on the fact that as far as heritage acts who can currently sell out Wembley go, the size of their back catalogue is ridiculously small, what there is of it is great, but something about them popping up every few years and selling out a few stadiums based on that alone doesn't sit quite right with me.

12 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

First Direct Arena is brilliant. 

I was reading about it - was purpose built with music and entertainment in mind.

I like the shape of it. Should be able to see the stage and enjoy the show no matter what seat you are in and the standing floor looks well close to the stage compared to other venues. The only venues I can recall in London that are large and you can get that close are Hammersmith Apollo and Brixton Academy.

If only I either a) had £70 for a ticket or b ) the impetus to trek to Leeds from London for the gig I would, just to check out the place.

5 minutes ago, mungo57 said:

I was reading about it - was purpose built with music and entertainment in mind.

I like the shape of it. Should be able to see the stage and enjoy the show no matter what seat you are in and the standing floor looks well close to the stage compared to other venues. The only venues I can recall in London that are large and you can get that close are Hammersmith Apollo and Brixton Academy.

If only I either a) had £70 for a ticket or b ) the impetus to trek to Leeds from London for the gig I would, just to check out the place.

Yeah it's great, easy to get in and out of standing floor if you need a pee, doesn't really matter where you stand as it arcs round so you're still close to the stage and the sound is great. 

Even if you stand on the outer part waiting for a beer you still get good sounds from the stage.

5 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

It's shite announcing it like this though. There will be people from yorks/lancs etc that have bought tickets for Wembley or Scotland just cos there was nothing nearer. Then they announce Leeds. People may have already booked non-refundable hotels and/or transport. Thinking of the common man yet again!

Will be down to the promoters making sure the big dates sell well

Am a bit tempted by this as I live in Leeds and yes it is a good venue with it being more amphitheatre like compared to the rectangular arenas like Manchester.  I've been to it 4 times now but was in standing only once for Depeche Mode and that was the only downside as the standing area is a bit like a bear pit in that where it ends and the seating begins there is a high wall type thing which makes you feel detached from the rest of the crowd in seats in my opinion.

One thing parking around the arena is a nightmare for getting out of (massive queues, long wait etc.) so much better to park a bit further away and walk.

Will have a think over next couple of days on whether I can afford it- probably not going to Glastonbury next year now (I normally work) so would be free.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I don't think anyone's clamouring for more songs like All For One at the gigs.

I don't know, I predicted it'd do well at gigs when I first heard it regardless of how shit it is - a simple one liner song with some sort of easily relatable positive message for everyone to sing with their arms in the air... and low and behold, it went down a storm at the recent Manchester gigs.

3 hours ago, Fladog said:

I know Emily Eavis has talked down rumours of the stone roses playing glasto, BUT could these 2 gigs be warm up gigs for a Glastonbury appearance??? getting some easy money in before they play a set at glasto for less cash????

nothing's impossible, tho if they were playing glasto they'd very probably headline and Emily has ruled them out of that and its unlikely she's telling porkies.

I'm wondering if they might, just perhaps, open the other stage on the friday. That's got to be about the only realistic - tho still remote - possibility.