The stone roses

weeksy97

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Oldredeyes said:

Wishful thinking, I know but didn't they sub Blur at Coachellain a double headliner fashion. Similar to smashing pumpkins / prodigy at Glastonbury 97 ?

When the rumour is they've taken the bigger offer from IOW, surely that just blows any suggestion that they might play Glastonbury NOT as a headliner right out of the water? Why would the Eavii offer them a shit load of money to not headline?

5 minutes ago, Oldredeyes said:

Wishful thinking, I know but didn't they sub Blur at Coachellain a double headliner fashion. Similar to smashing pumpkins / prodigy at Glastonbury 97 ?

Stone Roses and Blur are MUCH smaller in the US than over here. Stone Roses pulled a hilariously small crowd and famously had tons of Coachella attendees tweeting 'who the fuck are the Stone Roses?' upon being announced. you can't compare it at all. they're massive in the UK and would only ever headline a UK festival regardless of who else was on the bill

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Stone Roses and Blur are MUCH smaller in the US than over here. Stone Roses pulled a hilariously small crowd and famously had tons of Coachella attendees tweeting 'who the fuck are the Stone Roses?' upon being announced. you can't compare it at all. they're massive in the UK and would only ever headline a UK festival regardless of who else was on the bill

Yup they did, both of them did actually. It was great for fans though who wanted to get really close without any effort.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

When the rumour is they've taken the bigger offer from IOW, surely that just blows any suggestion that they might play Glastonbury NOT as a headliner right out of the water? Why would the Eavii offer them a shit load of money to not headline?

Nah, surely the only way would be if they popped up as a 'surprise' act ala Radiohead/Pulp at The Park.

IIRC Pulp did this as a way to play Glasto without breaking exclusivity at Reading/Leeds. Dunno if Stone Roses are exclusive to IOW, but that might make sense I suppose.

However, Jarvis Cocker/Radiohead have pretty strong links to the festival which might explain why they'd play, but I'm not sure that SR have the same connection. Added to that is that Pulp & Radiohead both seemed ridiculously packed, so I wonder if they'd want to do such a massive act as a 'secret but not really secret' set again, especially on a small stage.

Edited by pjadnoo

Just now, pjadnoo said:

Nah, surely the only way would be if they popped up as a 'surprise' act ala Radiohead/Pulp at The Park. IIRC Pulp did this as a way to play Glasto without breaking exclusivity at Reading/Leeds. Dunno if Stone Roses are exclusive to IOW, but that might make sense I suppose, except that Jarvis Cocker/Radiohead have pretty strong links to the festival which might explain why they'd play, but I'm not sure that SR have the same connection. Added to that is that Pulp & Radiohead both seemed ridiculously packed, so I wonder if they'd want to do such a massive act as a 'secret but not really secret' set again, especially on a small stage.

My first thought on that is TSR wouldn't really give a shit about playing a secret set at Glastonbury. You highlighted already why it won't happen - Radiohead and Cocker love Glastonbury. TSR have consistently demonstrated they don't care about the festival, just the pay day.

Which is ridiculously short sighted of them.

16 minutes ago, jparx said:

My first thought on that is TSR wouldn't really give a shit about playing a secret set at Glastonbury. You highlighted already why it won't happen - Radiohead and Cocker love Glastonbury. TSR have consistently demonstrated they don't care about the festival, just the pay day.

Exactly, the only bands who would do secret sets like that are bands that would actually enjoy it and "get" Glastonbury. Never going to happen.

13 minutes ago, jparx said:

Yeh, it's a real shame. Saw them at Heaton Park and the atmosphere was fantastic. Listening back to highlights online, Ian Brown's singing wasn't always great, but live with everyone singing & dancing along it was amazing. Would've been an amazing at the Pyramid, no doubt.

I wonder how the boost in album/ticket sales from Glastonbury coverage compares with the higher payout for headlining, say, Reading/Leeds or IOW? It's a shame that the money plays such a big factor, but I suppose being a punter, within the context of a forum like efests, it's easy to think of Glastonbury as being some sort of music mecca that everyone must surely feel as passionate about as us.

21 minutes ago, pjadnoo said:

I wonder how the boost in album/ticket sales from Glastonbury coverage compares with the higher payout for headlining, say, Reading/Leeds or IOW? It's a shame that the money plays such a big factor, but I suppose being a punter, within the context of a forum like efests, it's easy to think of Glastonbury as being some sort of music mecca that everyone must surely feel as passionate about as us.

I don't think it'd have made much difference to the Roses, if they were to play, as I'm sure they'd refuse to allow the Beeb to show coverage. They refused when they played IOW and T. 

A tacit admission of the total unreliability of Brown's vocals, I guess. 

I`m sticking to my earlier guess that they are on the Other up against Edward Sheerin on the Sunday. I`m basing this pure speculation on them turning down flat any BBC involvement like they did at T last year where they were pretty decent.

Ed gets to be the darling of the BBC and locals while the Roses get to " headline " live and exclusive to the smaller field.

2 minutes ago, comfortablynumb1910 said:

I`m sticking to my earlier guess that they are on the Other up against Edward Sheerin on the Sunday. I`m basing this pure speculation on them turning down flat any BBC involvement like they did at T last year where they were pretty decent.

Ed gets to be the darling of the BBC and locals while the Roses get to " headline " live and exclusive to the smaller field.

Emily said that they're not doing it 

1 minute ago, WS_Jack_III said:

Did she though? All I've seen is 'The other two rumours'

Could mean Ed Sheeran and DP

“There’s no more [headliner] announcements now for a while, but I will tell you the other two that have been rumoured aren’t happening,” Eavis said. “There was a news story that said Daft Punk and Stone Roses. That’s not true. I don’t know where that came from.”

from http://www.nme.com/news/daft-punk-stone-roses-not-headlining-glastonbury-2017-1684610

1 minute ago, pjadnoo said:

“There’s no more [headliner] announcements now for a while, but I will tell you the other two that have been rumoured aren’t happening,” Eavis said. “There was a news story that said Daft Punk and Stone Roses. That’s not true. I don’t know where that came from.”

from http://www.nme.com/news/daft-punk-stone-roses-not-headlining-glastonbury-2017-1684610

Fair enough, I only saw it listed as 'other two' 

That's £30 down the drain for me then.

If they have taken the money again to play an exact same setlist apart from that new "All for one" shite at IOW over a potential historic Pyramid moment then i'm extremely annoyed with them. I thought they would have been happy with the shed load they have made and made it more about the music. Turns out i was wrong and they are still all about the £. As a lifelong fan i've been waiting for the chance to see them on the Pyramid. Looks like it will never happen.

Edited by Doug85

28 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

If they have taken the money again to play an exact same setlist apart from that new "All for one" shite at IOW over a potential historic Pyramid moment then i'm extremely annoyed with them. I thought they would have been happy with the shed load they have made and made it more about the music. Turns out i was wrong and they are still all about the £. As a lifelong fan i've been waiting for the chance to see them on the Pyramid. Looks like it will never happen.

Yep basically the same. Love them, love their music, love the guys individually, but as a band their attitude isn't great. You can understand them taking the big payday initially, anyone would, but it just seems to be milking it a bit now. Headlining the Pyramid and smashing it could have been the ultimate hoorah for them, but it just proves they don't really give a fack about the prestige of it, it's all about that dollah :(. Although I would add, despite All For One, I think Beautiful Thing will be a song we look back on in years as being an absolute belter.

1 hour ago, pjadnoo said:

If anyone is hunting for a straw.

1 hour ago, Doug85 said:

Agree completely.

While, 2 years ago I wouldn't have imagined they'd be active in 2017, I really can't see them being active in 2019. This was the last chance I think.