The stone roses

weeksy97

1 minute ago, SteveTLizard said:

And people complain*** about the cost of Glastonbury tickets, £230 for non-stop entertainment which includes at least 20 bands that ask for £50 or more a ticket.

Like you good self though, I'll still end up paying it.

*** no one that's been actually complains about the cost mind.

I complain. But I don't spend my weekend seeing twenty bands charging £50 a ticket so I probably aren't doing it right. ;)

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, mufcok said:

I try and stop myself getting my hopes up most years but I am expecting to see them headlining this year. Has to be this time

I really, really hope you are right! It would be my Glastonbury highlight, nothing would top it for me!

(If I get a ticket, otherwise I'll be in tears.. not even joking)

53 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

And people complain*** about the cost of Glastonbury tickets, £230 for non-stop entertainment which includes at least 20 bands that ask for £50 or more a ticket.

Tbf add the booking fee and car parking rise and it's close to £270 this year.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I complain. But I don't spend my weekend seeing twenty bands charging £50 a ticket so I probably aren't doing it right. ;)

You go to Glastonbury, have the best 5 days out of the entire year (or maybe second best if you're getting married or having a child in that particular year) and then complain about the ticket price.

Regardless of what you do with your week on the farm, you sir need to have a stern word with yourself. 

Tickets to V Festival are only £150, maybe save yourself the trouble on T-day and go there instead?

40 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

You go to Glastonbury, have the best 5 days out of the entire year (or maybe second best if you're getting married or having a child in that particular year) and then complain about the ticket price.

Regardless of what you do with your week on the farm, you sir need to have a stern word with yourself. 

Tickets to V Festival are only £150, maybe save yourself the trouble on T-day and go there instead?

I have to have a word with myself because I haven't voided myself of independent thought and don't agree with the rate that they're increasing prices and the lofty total it's at now? :lol: It's something I'm currently happy to pay over the odds for, but my opinion remains that it's over the odds.

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I have to have a word with myself because I haven't voided myself of independent thought and don't agree with the rate that they're increasing prices and the lofty total it's at now? :lol: It's something I'm currently happy to pay over the odds for, but my opinion remains that it's over the odds.

I'd love to pay the £45 for a ticket that I did back in the day, and I'd give my right nut to go back to the queue I stood in at hmv for a ticket two weeks before the festival (I say queue, it was just me, my missus, and a bloke tring to buy "jagged ltitle pill" ). Sadly it's not not 1995 anymore Dorothy, and you're not in kansas.  

14 minutes ago, SteveTLizard said:

I'd love to pay the £45 for a ticket that I did back in the day, and I'd give my right nut to go back to the queue I stood in at hmv for a ticket two weeks before the festival (I say queue, it was just me, my missus, and a bloke tring to buy "jagged ltitle pill" ). Sadly it's not not 1995 anymore Dorothy, and you're not in kansas.  

Yeah I wish it was still the significantly lesser cost than when I started going too but it's not 2013 anymore.

I paid around 70e - which is probably about £70 now - to see them in Dublin this summer. While they were great, it's difficult to say it was worth that money for their 90 or so minutes. If there's good support then that would soften the blow, but the support at Marlay Park was - and I'll be as charitable as I can here - absolute fucking rubbish. 

14 hours ago, SteveTLizard said:

The ticket price is absurdly expensive and is increasing at a rate that is going to change the demographic of the festival beyond all measure.

Huge amounts of people are now absolutely priced out. But so long as you can afford it that's fine right? I guess that's one of the benefits of being middle aged: you have more disposable income.

Edited by russycarps

My mates who sounded interested in Wembley have both pulled out. I'm now reliant on a.) getting a Glastonbury ticket and b.) the Roses playing.

I've no doubt a Glastonbury set would be more of an 'event' (and a welcome return to the Pyramid for a headline set for myself), but if I end up missing out on both I'll be absolutely gutted!!

17 hours ago, SteveTLizard said:

Agree...I can't believe what good value it is to be honest.....what else can you spend 230 quid on and get that much happiness? (Sustained happiness that is)

1 hour ago, russycarps said:

The ticket price is absurdly expensive and is increasing at a rate that is going to change the demographic of the festival beyond all measure.

Huge amounts of people are now absolutely priced out. But so long as you can afford it that's fine right? I guess that's one of the benefits of being middle aged: you have more disposable income.

Yes I am middle aged, but as for having more disposable income now than when I was in my 20s, I'd say very definitely not, the mortgage and two kids have put paid to that.  I see Glastonbury as a very rare opportunity to treat myself and I save for it like it was a holiday, which for me it definitely is. 

The point I was trying to make is that while, yes it is expensive, when you compare it like for like with other similar entertainments, pound for pound, it vastly exceeds them all.  Bestival, £200, 3 days, 1 main arena, a few smaller stages, not 24 hour, not as diverse in terms of entertainment.  Isle of White festival, £200, 3 days, 1 main arena, 1 smaller stage, not 24 hours, targeted genre of music.  Reading, £200, 3 days, 1 main arena, couple of smaller stages, very targeted music, naff off back to your tent at midnight where you can expect to have it torched by some meathead a few hours later.   Stone Roses at Wembley, £70, 90 minute set, probably not a stellar support.  Rolling Stones, £100 + quid, 2 hours, support ok. 

Glastonbury, £240, 5 days entertainment, countless stages, acres of entertainment for everyone and anyone, regardless of age or taste in music/comedy/dance/circus etc etc, round the clock entertainment from Wednesday to Monday morning. 

I would seriously love it to be £120, not only for me but for folks that can't afford.  Sadly, we don't live that world though, we live in this one.

Love it and cherish it, because one day it'll be gone, and you'll be yearning to pay £240 to go back there.

I love your profile pic by the way. 

1 hour ago, BlackZeppelin said:

Agree...I can't believe what good value it is to be honest.....what else can you spend 230 quid on and get that much happiness? (Sustained happiness that is)

Exactly this, it is sustained happiness throughout the year.  Somebody said in a thread on here that going to Glastonbury had actually changed the person they had become, which I can agree with. 

Don't think I've ever come back from Reading festival and felt like that.

2 hours ago, BlackZeppelin said:

seconded.

Once tickets are confirmed I set up a standing order to put some money per month aside in another account up until Glasto. I also add what I can in there - but we tend to do it on a semi budget. Last year I took £300 with me with a card to draw upto another £100 out when we were there and only spent just over a ton. The mud put paid to a lot of my spending, in the evenings the last thing on my mind was walking through mud to buy cider/beer when I could just sip on my Tennessee Honey and still get smashed :P

28 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

I've been to far less gigs the last two years for example. Your seventy quid gigs don't get a look in these days-unless it's a heritage act like shakey or waits - and I didn't think twice about not going to roses this year - especially that close to Glastonbury. If tickets had been forty not going wouldn't have been thought of.

I am currently in the middle of a stint where i refuse to pay more than £15 for a ticket to a live gig. I'm seeing so many more young, passionate performers that are trying to make a name for themselves - its really got me back in to the music scene in London after quite a while not caring.

I'm a big fan of the DICE app currently also - no booking fees, young, cheap artists, good venues.

4 hours ago, russycarps said:

I'm not middle aged, I just don't waste my money on shit I don't need and save my money effectively :P

I think a fair amount of people moan that they can't afford it, but in reality it can't be that high up on their list or else they would save more effectively for it. I know plenty of people that waste £50 on a shite night out at godawful nightclubs once or twice a week, then complain at the price of a Glastonbury ticket. 

Obviously some people genuinely can't afford it and festival tickets are definitely too expensive, but blowing your money on other stuff then moaning that Glastonbury is too expensive makes me question how much you actually want to go!

16 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I am currently in the middle of a stint where i refuse to pay more than £15 for a ticket to a live gig. I'm seeing so many more young, passionate performers that are trying to make a name for themselves - its really got me back in to the music scene in London after quite a while not caring.

I'm a big fan of the DICE app currently also - no booking fees, young, cheap artists, good venues.

I went to see The Smyths the other week in Leeds - £12 for the ticket and a pint of local IPA and a bottle of water for the Mrs was £3.40.  Stadium gigs will be pushing £7.00 a pint soon I reckon.

I am a huge Rush and AC/DC fan but refused to pay upwards of £75.00 to see em  at arena or stadium gigs - the price is not justified.

The AC/DC tribute Live Wire are brilliant and usually around £12.00 as ticket

6 hours ago, russycarps said:

What do you think would be a fair price? 

8 minutes ago, nikkic said:

What do you think would be a fair price? 

I've no idea. I can afford the current price so I'm the wrong person to ask.

For a start people like me could pay a higher price to subsidise students and the unemployed though. Double or triple the prices of the VIP tickets. Maybe even close down one of the stages to help fund it too. It is very far from a perfect solution, but it'd be a step in the right direction.

I do know for 100% certain that my 18-30 year old self wouldnt have been able to even dream of attending the festival.